Roaming beween x64 and x32 and icon behavior

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?U3BhZw==?=, Apr 18, 2007.

  1. Hello, has anyone else noticed dead icons when they roam from a XP 64 bit
    workstation to a 32 bit workstation?

    To recreate:
    1. User has a new roaming profile
    2. User logs in to XP 64 bit workstation
    3. Icons are created for the user from Default User profile
    Start menu: Internet explorer (32 bit)
    Start menu: Internet exploere (64 bit)
    Quick Launch: Internet Explorer (32 bit)
    QUick Launch: Windows Media Player
    Quick Launch: Netmeeting

    4. logs out and profile is copied to remote share
    5. User logs in to XP 32 bit workstation
    6. Icons are carried over from the 64 bit workstation, the properties point
    to the ...Program Files (x86) folder and appear as dead icons to the user.

    XP was installed with default settings. Is there something we have missed
    or should the user expected to see dead icons if they roam between 32 and 64
    bit XP.

    Thanks
    --
    Spag
    =?Utf-8?B?U3BhZw==?=, Apr 18, 2007

  2. Expected as C:\Program Files (x86) does not exist.

    - R

    Rafael R. [Live Butterfly], Apr 19, 2007

  3. Spag wrote:

    >Hello, has anyone else noticed dead icons when they roam from a XP 64 bit
    >workstation to a 32 bit workstation?
    >
    >To recreate:
    >1. User has a new roaming profile
    >2. User logs in to XP 64 bit workstation
    >3. Icons are created for the user from Default User profile
    > Start menu: Internet explorer (32 bit)
    > Start menu: Internet exploere (64 bit)
    > Quick Launch: Internet Explorer (32 bit)
    > QUick Launch: Windows Media Player
    > Quick Launch: Netmeeting
    >
    >4. logs out and profile is copied to remote share
    >5. User logs in to XP 32 bit workstation
    >6. Icons are carried over from the 64 bit workstation, the properties
    >point
    >to the ...Program Files (x86) folder and appear as dead icons to the user.
    >
    >XP was installed with default settings. Is there something we have missed
    >or should the user expected to see dead icons if they roam between 32 and
    >64
    >bit XP.

    Since the icons point to different paths that aren't valid on both
    systems, yes, they'd be dead on one or the other.

    The workaround is to ensure that there's a common environment variable on
    the two systems that points to the right locations for the applications on
    each, and use shortcuts that are based on the common environment variable.

    --
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
    ---------------------------------------
    Steve Foster [SBS MVP], Apr 19, 2007
  4. Thanks all for the feed back -

    More to the point - should the user be expected to see dead icons if they
    roam between x32/64 workstations (this causes confusion, if there's a utility
    to help manage that'd be handy).

    Regards -

    --
    Spag

    =?Utf-8?B?U3BhZw==?=, Apr 20, 2007
  5. No utilities, I'm affraid, it would be overkill too - what you need to do is
    click on the 'System' icon in Control Panel and go to the 'Advanced' tab.
    There you'll find a button labeled 'Environment Variables'. Inside, click
    'New' and define something that would make sense on each of the target
    machines on your system. It could be a 'BIN' variable that has a value of
    the proper [programs] directory search path on each machine.

    x64 Example -
    "BIN=Program Files (x86)"

    x86 Example -
    "BIN=Program Files"

    (and, no quotes ever!)

    then have the icon execute the application (someone correct me if necessary,
    I'm sleepy. . .) "YourApp"%BIN%

    You may have to re-boot all the machines to have the changes written to
    memory.

    Note, that these are general examples and you should need to adapt them to
    your specific situation and personal taste - + try and read up on the use of
    env-vars, the concept is easy enough.

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Apr 24, 2007
  6. Thanks for your feedback\comments Tony.
    --
    Spag

    =?Utf-8?B?U3BhZw==?=, Apr 24, 2007