    tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP server but still can't send
    mail when not connected to RR).

    Thanks
    Jack B. Pollack, May 30, 2006

  2. Jack B. Pollack

    Ingeborg Guest

    Jack B. Pollack wrote:

    > Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
    > RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
    > traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
    > server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

    Some mailproviders give you a timeslot (a few minutes) where your IP
    address can use SMTP *after* you've logged in with POP.
    Try getting your mail first, and send directly hereafter.
    Ingeborg, May 30, 2006

  3. Jack B. Pollack wrote:

    > Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
    > RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
    > traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
    > server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

    ARAIK, it's not possible to use the RR SMTP while not connected via the
    cable. You do have the option of using the Webmail interface, though.

    Try logging in to [using your own region name]:
    http://<your-region>.rr.com/ and looking for the Webmail link.
    Then bookmark it.

    I'm in Rochester NY, so I would use
    http://rochester.rr.com/

    --
    -bts
    -Warning: I brake for lawn deer
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 30, 2006
  4. Jack B. Pollack

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
    > RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
    > traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
    > server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

    RR sez on their help pages that you can use the pop server to get your
    mail from a foreign IP like another ISP, but you can't use the smtp.
    You have to use the smtp server of whatever ISP you are accessing -- or
    you can use the RR webmail.

    If you are using the RR dialup access there isn't a problem.

    For all the instructions about that use help.rr.com and navigate to the
    email away from home section, and there is a separate section for dialup
    access instructions -- you need to get that setup ahead of time which
    might take over 24 hours and is only available to the master account.

    RR doesn't have a smtpauth server accessible to foreign IPs like some
    other providers. EL's gets abused some by spammers because they get
    auth user/pw 'somehow'.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 30, 2006
  5. Jack B. Pollack

    Leythos Guest

    In article <447c3a80$0$21501$>,
    lid says...
    > Jack B. Pollack wrote:
    > > Anyone know if there is a way to password authenticate with the
    > > RoadRunner SMTP server, so I can send mail through Outlook while
    > > traveling (I have tried using my email user name & PW for the SMTP
    > > server but still can't send mail when not connected to RR).

    > RR sez on their help pages that you can use the pop server to get your
    > mail from a foreign IP like another ISP, but you can't use the smtp.
    > You have to use the smtp server of whatever ISP you are accessing -- or
    > you can use the RR webmail.
    >
    > If you are using the RR dialup access there isn't a problem.
    >
    > For all the instructions about that use help.rr.com and navigate to the
    > email away from home section, and there is a separate section for dialup
    > access instructions -- you need to get that setup ahead of time which
    > might take over 24 hours and is only available to the master account.
    >
    > RR doesn't have a smtpauth server accessible to foreign IPs like some
    > other providers. EL's gets abused some by spammers because they get
    > auth user/pw 'somehow'.

    If you purchase a DFL-700 Firewall you can set it up as a PPTP server
    and then VPN into it from anywhere and use your RR connection just like
    you were at home (no changes to email needed).

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, May 30, 2006
  6. Jack B. Pollack

    Mike Easter Guest

    Leythos wrote:

    > If you purchase a DFL-700 Firewall you can set it up as a PPTP server
    > and then VPN into it from anywhere and use your RR connection just
    > like you were at home (no changes to email needed).

    That's an interesting device http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=327
    DFL-700 Desktop VPN Firewall

    .... but it is a little pricey. I think you could get that same job done
    cheaper than that.

    I see them being currently retailed for from $300-380 USD. And I saw
    some old prices much higher than that.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 30, 2006
  7. Jack B. Pollack

    Leythos Guest

    In article <447c9802$0$79450$>,
    lid says...
    > Leythos wrote:
    >
    > > If you purchase a DFL-700 Firewall you can set it up as a PPTP server
    > > and then VPN into it from anywhere and use your RR connection just
    > > like you were at home (no changes to email needed).

    > That's an interesting device http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=327
    > DFL-700 Desktop VPN Firewall
    >
    > ... but it is a little pricey. I think you could get that same job done
    > cheaper than that.
    >
    > I see them being currently retailed for from $300-380 USD. And I saw
    > some old prices much higher than that.

    Actually, considering all that the unit does, it's very cheap.

    --

    remove 999 in order to email me
    Leythos, May 30, 2006