    another 10 to get it back in. PAINFUL!

    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    , Jan 4, 2006

  2. Guest

    I've seen this done a couple of ways. And it depends on how much time
    and money you can throw at it. Here are a couple of suggestions.

    1. Proper labeling and good wiring practices help keep things clean.
    This means not allowing anyone to run a cable accross the rack because
    they didn't have the right length cable, same goes for a standard
    labeling solution. This can be difficult maintain, having control over
    the facility and who works there is key.

    2. I've seen sites were they have created a "loom" of RJ45 cables. All
    the ports on a card would be pre-terminated, the cables would be tied
    together with straps, velcro or (if you're old school) wax string.
    This loom would then terminate into a patch panel (which you can locate
    it anywhere you want).

    Having proper racks also helps. All the cables have to have somewhere
    to go a 23" rack with cable management really helps.

    Best of luck.

    wrote:
    > I need a solution for cable management for 48 port blades in 6500s.
    >
    > RJ21 is what I would like to do but they don't seem to have an RJ21
    > blade that does Gigabit Ethernet (copper), they do have them in 48 port
    > RJ45 though.
    >
    > So, I need a successful method for cable management of RJ45 ports (48)
    > so that if I need to replace a blade for any reason I can easily remove
    > all 48 ethernet connections and connect them back up correctly.
    >
    > A couple of weeks ago I needed to replace a Sup720 and the RJ45 cables
    > were all over the place and in the way (I didn't do it). It took me 15
    > minutes to get things so that I could pull the blade out and then
    > another 10 to get it back in. PAINFUL!
    >
    > Any suggestions would be appreciated.

    , Jan 13, 2006