RJ11 lead pin connections - from Phone to PAP2 ??

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Gul Dukat, Apr 12, 2006.

  1. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    Can anyone please offer advice about how to wire an RJ11 cable to go
    between a Linksys PAP2 and a normal telephone?

    Are the leads straight through (pin 1 -> pin 1 etc) or are the
    connections crossed over (pin 1 -> pin 4 and pin 2 -> pin3 etc).

    Many thanks.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 12, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Gul Dukat

    PhilT Guest

    Gul Dukat wrote:
    > Can anyone please offer advice about how to wire an RJ11 cable to go
    > between a Linksys PAP2 and a normal telephone?


    get an RJ11 plug to BT socket adaptor with ring capacitor.
    http://linitx.com/product_info.php?cPath=102&products_id=679 (out of
    stock, but makes the point).

    > Are the leads straight through (pin 1 -> pin 1 etc) or are the
    > connections crossed over (pin 1 -> pin 4 and pin 2 -> pin3 etc).


    that depends entirely on the phone. Best to use its original lead and
    adapt.

    It is likely to be either 3&4 on the phone or 2&5 numbered out of 6.
    (middle two or next two out)


    Phil
    PhilT, Apr 12, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Thus spaketh Gul Dukat:
    > Can anyone please offer advice about how to wire an RJ11 cable to go
    > between a Linksys PAP2 and a normal telephone?
    >
    > Are the leads straight through (pin 1 -> pin 1 etc) or are the
    > connections crossed over (pin 1 -> pin 4 and pin 2 -> pin3 etc).
    >
    > Many thanks.
    >
    > Dukat.


    The two inner pins on the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 of the UK phone
    plug/socket.

    Note your phones may be designed for UK use only and without the ring
    capacitor of the master socket or the leads you can buy, the phone may not
    sound it's ringer, not usually a problem with cordless, though some base
    stations still require the capacitor.


    --
    Items for sale: www.dodgy-dealer.co.uk
    3p/min & 1p Texts, EasyMobile, For £5 airtime bonus contact via:
    www.southeastbirmingham.co.uk
    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Apr 12, 2006
    #3
  4. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:13:27 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:

    >The two inner pins on the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 of the UK phone
    >plug/socket.


    Hi and thanks.

    What I am trying to do is replace the UK cable on my phone with an
    RJ11 to RJ11 cable. The socket on the phone is RJ11 and the lead that
    came with it is RJ11 on one end (phone) and BT plug on the other.

    It does work fine using a BT (female) to RJ11 plug adapter at the PAP2
    end.

    I had thought it would be neater if I used a RJ11 -> RJ11 cable to do
    the job and do away with the adapter.

    Any comments?
    Gul Dukat, Apr 12, 2006
    #4
  5. Gul Dukat

    Ivor Jones Guest

    "Gul Dukat" <> wrote in message
    news:eek:
    > On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 10:13:27 GMT, "{{{{{Welcome}}}}}"
    > <bhx___spam@trapped___hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
    >
    > > The two inner pins on the RJ11 go to pins 2 and 5 of
    > > the UK phone plug/socket.

    >
    > Hi and thanks.
    >
    > What I am trying to do is replace the UK cable on my
    > phone with an RJ11 to RJ11 cable. The socket on the phone
    > is RJ11 and the lead that came with it is RJ11 on one end
    > (phone) and BT plug on the other.


    Why do you want to do this..? An adaptor costing a few pounds from Maplins
    will do the job perfectly well.

    > It does work fine using a BT (female) to RJ11 plug
    > adapter at the PAP2 end.


    So you already have one.

    > I had thought it would be neater if I used a RJ11 -> RJ11
    > cable to do the job and do away with the adapter.
    >
    > Any comments?


    Yes, don't bother. If your phone requires the ring capacitor in the
    adaptor, it won't ring without it.

    Ivor
    Ivor Jones, Apr 12, 2006
    #5
  6. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:53:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    <> wrote:

    >Why do you want to do this..? An adaptor costing a few pounds from Maplins
    >will do the job perfectly well.


    Because as a tight-arsed Radio Ham you should already know the answer
    to this question. I have the parts to make up this cable.

    >So you already have one.


    Yes, but it belongs to another piece of equipment that I shall be
    parting with shortly.

    I asked for advice on making a connection, not your opinion on what
    'you think' might be best for me. If you are incapable of providing
    the technical information in an unbiased manner then STFU.

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 12, 2006
    #6
  7. Gul Dukat

    Nick Guest

    On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:20:18 +0100, Gul Dukat <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 19:53:08 +0100, "Ivor Jones"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>Why do you want to do this..? An adaptor costing a few pounds from Maplins
    >>will do the job perfectly well.

    >
    >Because as a tight-arsed Radio Ham you should already know the answer
    >to this question. I have the parts to make up this cable.
    >
    >>So you already have one.

    >
    >Yes, but it belongs to another piece of equipment that I shall be
    >parting with shortly.
    >
    >I asked for advice on making a connection, not your opinion on what
    >'you think' might be best for me. If you are incapable of providing
    >the technical information in an unbiased manner then STFU.
    >
    >Dukat.


    Gul, it is complicated by the fact there are two possible solutions,
    depending on the phone, with most phones a straight thru RJ11 - RJ11
    will work, but some (possibly originating in Scandiavia or Israel)
    need the inner two wires at one end connected to the outer two at the
    other (at both ends). This is to make the phone communicate, the ring
    capacitor thing is a separate problem.
    73 Nick
    Nick, Apr 13, 2006
    #7
  8. Gul Dukat

    Gul Dukat Guest

    On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 09:29:41 +0300, Nick <>
    wrote:

    >Gul, it is complicated by the fact there are two possible solutions,
    >depending on the phone, with most phones a straight thru RJ11 - RJ11
    >will work, but some (possibly originating in Scandiavia or Israel)
    >need the inner two wires at one end connected to the outer two at the
    >other (at both ends). This is to make the phone communicate, the ring
    >capacitor thing is a separate problem.
    >73 Nick


    Nick,

    Thanks for the helpful reply. I'll do some checking.

    Cheers,

    Dukat.
    Gul Dukat, Apr 13, 2006
    #8
  9. Nick wrote:

    >
    > Gul, it is complicated by the fact there are two possible solutions,
    > depending on the phone, with most phones a straight thru RJ11 - RJ11
    > will work, but some (possibly originating in Scandiavia or Israel)
    > need the inner two wires at one end connected to the outer two at the
    > other (at both ends). This is to make the phone communicate, the ring
    > capacitor thing is a separate problem.
    > 73 Nick


    Just to make life even more interesting, some BT branded phones have
    this arrangement. Strangely I think this conversation is better off in
    uk.telecom. (yes I know a PAP2 is a voip device).
    Thomas Kenyon, Apr 13, 2006
    #9
  10. Gul Dukat

    geezerone

    Joined:
    May 20, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Location:
    UK
    HI

    Old post but I found a Panasonic phone worked with straight cabling whereas a BT branded one didn't as stated above.

    Given the rise in VOIP nowadays hopefully this will help someone looking.

    :hmmmm:
    geezerone, May 20, 2008
    #10
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Darren Green

    RJ11 Cable Distance

    Darren Green, Jan 5, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    15,767
    gordon_gartrell
    Jan 8, 2005
  2. elmar bschorer

    836 RJ11 <-> RJ45 cable

    elmar bschorer, Feb 28, 2005, in forum: Cisco
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    582
    Uli Link
    Feb 28, 2005
  3. George

    Changing rj11 to rj45 cabling

    George, Sep 19, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,252
    Walter Mautner
    Sep 19, 2004
  4. rednose

    ADSL MicroFilter - with 2 RJ11

    rednose, Nov 25, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    544
    Linda
    Nov 26, 2004
  5. JM

    Modify 24 pin PSU connector to 20 pin

    JM, Nov 24, 2006, in forum: Computer Information
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    1,032
Loading...

Share This Page