    Regards
    --
    Darren Green
    Darren Green, Jan 5, 2005

  2. In article <crhhhi$85$>,
    Darren Green <> wrote:
    :Can anyone clarify the maximum length that an RJ11 ADSL cable can run to.

    :This is more a debate than an actual requirement but I seem to have gathered
    :conflicting opinions. Assuming that I have to cable from the filter / telco
    :box to the router, how far can the router be from the Telco socket.

    With a splitter, or splitterless (ADSL Lite)?

    It appears to me that these are the relevant standards:

    Splitter: ITU-T Recommendation G.992.1
    Splitterless: ITU-T Recommendation G.992.2

    The standards are briefly described at
    http://comm.disa.mil/itu/r_g0900.html

    I'm not sure where to find a copy of the standards themselves.
    --
    Caution: A subset of the statements in this message may be
    tautologically true.
    Walter Roberson, Jan 5, 2005

    ~
    ~ This is more a debate than an actual requirement but I seem to have gathered
    ~ conflicting opinions. Assuming that I have to cable from the filter / telco
    ~ box to the router, how far can the router be from the Telco socket.
    ~
    ~ I note that I could probably run an new extension socket but it would be
    ~ helpful to know the answer for the future. A couple of sites I reviewed sell
    ~ RJ11 to RJ11 cables upto 30 metres but no one seems to do them any longer.
    ~
    ~ Thank you.
    ~
    ~ Regards

    Well, the run from the DSLAM to you is probably on the order of
    a mile or two (up to 18000' or so), so it is doubtful that an
    additional 100' run on your premises would make anything break.
    It would be smart to use UTP though.

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, Jan 6, 2005
  4. In article <>,
    Aaron Leonard <> wrote:
    :Well, the run from the DSLAM to you is probably on the order of
    :a mile or two (up to 18000' or so), so it is doubtful that an
    :additional 100' run on your premises would make anything break.
    :It would be smart to use UTP though.

    When I was researching answers for the OP's question, I did find
    sites that stated specifically 30 metres past the splitter
    for UTP. I wasn't able to confirm that in the time I was
    willing to expend, though, and I wasn't able to find a good figure
    for the RJ11-style four-strand flat cable the OP wanted to use.

    The wiring used from the DSLAM to the demark is not the same
    kind that would usually be used internally.

    One site I found indicated that no hard number could be assigned,
    that the further away you were from the DSLAM, the shorter the
    run that you could use internally. The British Telecomm site
    indicates a maximum distance of 5.2 km by the way, but sites
    indicated that the maximum speed you could obtain falls off with
    distance from the DSLAM.
    --
    csh is bad drugs.
    Walter Roberson, Jan 7, 2005
  5. Darren Green

    Darren Green Guest

    Thanks for the feedback this was most useful.

    Regards

    Darren

    Darren Green, Jan 7, 2005
  6. for what it's worth:

    DSLAM to the dsl modem can reliably be up to around 17,000ft from experience
    (I turned up hundreds of dsl circuits in late '99) I think I had a few work
    up near 19,000ft but they had real big thick old cables (which means higher
    frequency, read skin effect).

    from the splitter to the modem you can easily run 100ft .. that's about the
    longest run I remember (from a telco room to an office a few floors up.
    Don't ask why I had to put the splitter in the telco room.)

    gordon_gartrell, Jan 8, 2005