    on the back enabling it to take rj-45 ethernet plug. what would this
    have been used for. Can you do networking with it? If so how where can I
    find info. on it . I've made a search without success.
    L.D., Jan 18, 2004

  2. L.D.

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Could be used for anything except Ethernet. I have one I used for emulation
    a few years ago.

    pcbutts1, Jan 18, 2004

  3. L.D.

    Stace Guest

    "L.D." <> wrote in message
    > Got a used computer other day that had an adapter to the 9 pin connector
    > on the back enabling it to take rj-45 ethernet plug. what would this
    > have been used for. Can you do networking with it? If so how where can I
    > find info. on it . I've made a search without success.

    I have used something similar as a serial cable to Telnet onto a Nokia IP440
    firewall.

    Stace.
    Stace, Jan 18, 2004
  4. L.D.

    GHalleck Guest

    L.D. wrote:

    > Got a used computer other day that had an adapter to the 9 pin connector
    > on the back enabling it to take rj-45 ethernet plug. what would this
    > have been used for. Can you do networking with it? If so how where can I
    > find info. on it . I've made a search without success.

    It has been a very long time since I last saw one of these. The
    9-pin connector on the back of the computer is a serial port. And
    these were the adapters allowing connections, typically to Novell
    netware LAN's.
    GHalleck, Jan 18, 2004
  5. L.D.

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 22:12:11 -0600, L.D. wrote:

    >Got a used computer other day that had an adapter to the 9 pin connector
    >on the back enabling it to take rj-45 ethernet plug. what would this
    >have been used for. Can you do networking with it? If so how where can I
    >find info. on it . I've made a search without success.

    Electronic Point of Sale (EPOS) systems using Serial ports. Allows use
    of standard RJ45 connectiors and cabling to download data from remote
    terminals.

    Has a couple of benefits, don't need special serial connector wallports
    or dedicated runs of serial cable. The terminals can be moved around as
    needed.

    Me
    why?, Jan 18, 2004
  6. "L.D." <> wrote in message
    > Got a used computer other day that had an adapter to
    > the 9 pin connector on the back enabling it to take rj-45
    > ethernet plug. what would this have been used for.
    > Can you do networking with it? If so how where can
    > I find info. on it . I've made a search without success.

    It's just a DB9-RJ45 adapter. It's commonly used to
    telnet/console into various networking equipment (eg Cisco
    routers/switches/etc) or simplify cabling for long (serial)
    cable runs as most infrastructures already incorporate RJ45/UTP
    patch panels.

    It is not an ethernet adapter.
    Michael J. Apollyon, Jan 19, 2004