    '
    Ideal for a novice, I hope, it's for
    my daughter.

    irwell, Dec 16, 2006

  2. irwell

    Aaron Guest

    And lo, irwell <> emerged from the ether
    and spake thus:
    > Not the cheapest shop in the Mall, but
    > just picked up a Nikon A400 for $80.
    > '
    > Ideal for a novice, I hope, it's for
    > my daughter.

    My experience with Ritz is that, from a corporate chain perspective,
    they are overpriced, often egregiously so. From a personal
    perspective, I have only encountered one person working at Ritz who
    wasn't a condescending, bull-headed, AP or Getty photographer looking
    for some extra cash while they try to make their mark in the
    photojournalism scene and all the while trying to avoid prolonging any
    conversation with a customer more than necessary to shuffle them out
    of the store.

    On the off chance you meet someone there who actually does want to
    speak to you at any length about particulars, they are typically not
    professionals with a great deal of experience.

    You can save some gas calling the B&H sales line and asking a few
    questions. At least when they realize you don't actually want to buy
    something and shuffle you away, you can call back and talk to someone
    else. Every one of their employees has worked in the field and knows
    their stuff.

    Or, you can post here <G>.

    At the end of the day, Ritz is hardly the place to go for experienced
    advice OR for good prices. It's the place to go if you know what you
    need and you want it in your hands immediately; one of the few
    remaining advantages of brick-and-mortar retail.

    --
    Aaron
    http://www.fisheyegallery.com

    Aaron, Dec 19, 2006

  3. In article <>,
    Aaron <> wrote:

    > And lo, irwell <> emerged from the ether
    > and spake thus:
    > > Not the cheapest shop in the Mall, but
    > > just picked up a Nikon A400 for $80.
    > > '
    > > Ideal for a novice, I hope, it's for
    > > my daughter.

    > My experience with Ritz is that, from a corporate chain perspective,
    > they are overpriced, often egregiously so. From a personal
    > perspective, I have only encountered one person working at Ritz who
    > wasn't a condescending, bull-headed, AP or Getty photographer looking
    > for some extra cash while they try to make their mark in the
    > photojournalism scene and all the while trying to avoid prolonging any
    > conversation with a customer more than necessary to shuffle them out
    > of the store.
    >
    > On the off chance you meet someone there who actually does want to
    > speak to you at any length about particulars, they are typically not
    > professionals with a great deal of experience.
    >
    > You can save some gas calling the B&H sales line and asking a few
    > questions. At least when they realize you don't actually want to buy
    > something and shuffle you away, you can call back and talk to someone
    > else. Every one of their employees has worked in the field and knows
    > their stuff.
    >
    > Or, you can post here <G>.
    >
    > At the end of the day, Ritz is hardly the place to go for experienced
    > advice OR for good prices. It's the place to go if you know what you
    > need and you want it in your hands immediately; one of the few
    > remaining advantages of brick-and-mortar retail.

    Let's put it this way if hell froze over it would be too soon to do
    business with them.

    I worked at one over christmas then for another 6 months- some 23 +
    years ago and that was too long.

    I've tried from time to time to get good prints from them, plain out the
    place sucks compared to Walmart.

    Of course YMMV. I guess it just depends on the location.

    --
    Would thou choose to meet a rat eating dragon, or
    a dragon, eating rat? The answer of: I am somewhere

    Little Green Eyed Dragon, Dec 20, 2006
  4. Aaron wrote:

    > At the end of the day, Ritz is hardly the place to go for experienced
    > advice OR for good prices. It's the place to go if you know what you
    > need and you want it in your hands immediately; one of the few
    > remaining advantages of brick-and-mortar retail.

    Ritz is the greatest. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have the world's
    best lens, the Nikon 18-200, for $750.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 20, 2006
  5. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Aaron wrote:
    >
    >> At the end of the day, Ritz is hardly the place to go for experienced
    >> advice OR for good prices. It's the place to go if you know what you
    >> need and you want it in your hands immediately; one of the few
    >> remaining advantages of brick-and-mortar retail.

    > Ritz is the greatest. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have the world's
    > best lens, the Nikon 18-200, for $750.

    I thought you didn't like Ritz?!

    I've often used Camera World, which is now part of Ritz (or vice versa).
    They seem to be pretty much the same entity, but I use Camera World because
    they don't charge sales tax. I don't know about Ritz, but since they have
    business presences in many states I presume they have to charge sales tax at
    least in those states.

    Got my Nikon D40 kit from Camera World before any other dealer advertised it
    as in stock. Since it's $600 wherever you buy it (and probably will be for
    some time), and they ship free, plus the no sales tax, that was pretty much
    a no-brainer. I've had my order in with them for a 70-300 VR for a month or
    so. I'm in no hurry (especially at this time of year here in the northeast),
    but my thinking is that lens may be a tremendous seller like your 18-200 and
    if so, it may also be out of stock and/or selling at pumped-up prices in
    many places. Getting my order in early guarantees I get it for $530,
    whenever they start coming in.

    Is that how you got your 18-200 for $750?

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 20, 2006
  6. irwell

    FMV Guest

    Cameraworld, Wolfe's, and Ritz are the same entity.

    I have had excellent results with purchasing from Ritz, and have typically
    been able to get some of the newer high end Nikon SLR's (e.g. D2X, D2H) way
    before they were available at other dealers (including B&H), but at the same
    price - no sales tax or shipping charge and using ebates.com as the portal
    of entry resulted in 3% rebates on all items purchased (rebate check every 3
    months).

    Fred

    FMV, Dec 20, 2006
  7. irwell

    hoover Guest

    developing sucks

    hoover, Dec 20, 2006
  8. Neil Harrington wrote:

    >> Ritz is the greatest. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have the
    >> world's best lens, the Nikon 18-200, for $750.

    > I thought you didn't like Ritz?!

    I only like them if I can get a good deal from them, which is about twice.
    Nobody else was able to deliver that lens to me for $750.

    > I've often used Camera World, which is now part of Ritz (or vice
    > versa). They seem to be pretty much the same entity, but I use Camera
    > World because they don't charge sales tax. I don't know about Ritz,
    > but since they have business presences in many states I presume they
    > have to charge sales tax at least in those states.

    Yes they do have to charge sales tax in many states. Here's how they
    handled my purchase since they listed the lens as $749.99 no tax and free
    shipping. They charged me $714.28 plus $35.71 tax for a grand total of
    $749.99.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 21, 2006
  9. On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 19:08:08 -0500, Little Green Eyed Dragon
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Aaron <> wrote:
    >
    >> And lo, irwell <> emerged from the ether
    >> and spake thus:
    >> > Not the cheapest shop in the Mall, but
    >> > just picked up a Nikon A400 for $80.
    >> > '
    >> > Ideal for a novice, I hope, it's for
    >> > my daughter.

    >> My experience with Ritz is that, from a corporate chain perspective,
    >> they are overpriced, often egregiously so. From a personal
    >> perspective, I have only encountered one person working at Ritz who
    >> wasn't a condescending, bull-headed, AP or Getty photographer looking
    >> for some extra cash while they try to make their mark in the
    >> photojournalism scene and all the while trying to avoid prolonging any
    >> conversation with a customer more than necessary to shuffle them out
    >> of the store.
    >>
    >> On the off chance you meet someone there who actually does want to
    >> speak to you at any length about particulars, they are typically not
    >> professionals with a great deal of experience.
    >>
    >> You can save some gas calling the B&H sales line and asking a few
    >> questions. At least when they realize you don't actually want to buy
    >> something and shuffle you away, you can call back and talk to someone
    >> else. Every one of their employees has worked in the field and knows
    >> their stuff.
    >>
    >> Or, you can post here <G>.
    >>
    >> At the end of the day, Ritz is hardly the place to go for experienced
    >> advice OR for good prices. It's the place to go if you know what you
    >> need and you want it in your hands immediately; one of the few
    >> remaining advantages of brick-and-mortar retail.

    >Let's put it this way if hell froze over it would be too soon to do
    >business with them.
    >
    >I worked at one over christmas then for another 6 months- some 23 +
    >years ago and that was too long.
    >
    >I've tried from time to time to get good prints from them, plain out the
    >place sucks compared to Walmart.
    >
    >Of course YMMV. I guess it just depends on the location.

    Unfortunately in many parts of the country all that is left in the way
    of camera shops is Ritz, Wolf and whatever else they go by these days.
    Thank god for B&H.

    Oliver Costich, Dec 21, 2006
  10. irwell

    George K Guest

    If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
    state"s use tax

    George K, Dec 21, 2006
  11. George K wrote:

    > If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
    > state"s use tax

    Nope! Reread what I wrote. Here is what Ritz says on how they handle sales
    tax.

    http://www.ritzcamera.com/help/shopping/Shopping.htm#anchor3

    "You never pay sales tax! We are not required to collect sales and use tax
    on deliveries throughout the US, except where we have business locations and
    in those states we pay ALL sales taxes (California, Georgia, Kansas and
    Maryland). For customers in these states, our price includes all applicable
    taxes. To satisfy Maryland consumer reporting rules, we will show sales tax
    and an amount equal to the sales tax will be discounted from our regular low
    price. The order total will be the same as our regular low prices without
    tax."

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 21, 2006
  12. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    >
    >>> Ritz is the greatest. If it weren't for them I wouldn't have the
    >>> world's best lens, the Nikon 18-200, for $750.

    >> I thought you didn't like Ritz?!

    > I only like them if I can get a good deal from them, which is about twice.
    > Nobody else was able to deliver that lens to me for $750.
    >
    >> I've often used Camera World, which is now part of Ritz (or vice
    >> versa). They seem to be pretty much the same entity, but I use Camera
    >> World because they don't charge sales tax. I don't know about Ritz,
    >> but since they have business presences in many states I presume they
    >> have to charge sales tax at least in those states.

    > Yes they do have to charge sales tax in many states. Here's how they
    > handled my purchase since they listed the lens as $749.99 no tax and free
    > shipping. They charged me $714.28 plus $35.71 tax for a grand total of
    > $749.99.

    Now that you mention it I remember seeing Ritz's ads describing that
    arrangement.

    So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has finally
    come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll get one in a
    few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here in the northeast in
    the winter.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 21, 2006
  13. "Oliver Costich" <> wrote in message

    [ . . . ]

    > Unfortunately in many parts of the country all that is left in the way
    > of camera shops is Ritz, Wolf and whatever else they go by these days.
    > Thank god for B&H.

    B&H is okay and so is Adorama, but *usually* you can do better at Buydig.com
    or its sister company Beach Camera, as far as cameras, lenses and some other
    accessories are concerned. Their prices are almost always lower, they are
    absolutely reliable and they ship immediately, with free shipping on many
    items.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 21, 2006
  14. "Aaron" <> wrote in message
    > And lo, irwell <> emerged from the ether
    > and spake thus:
    >> Not the cheapest shop in the Mall, but
    >> just picked up a Nikon A400 for $80.

    A "Nikon A400"? I don't think so.

    "A400" sounds like one of those off-brand camera models. ;-)

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 21, 2006
  15. In article <>,
    George K <> wrote:

    > If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
    > state"s use tax

    He's right. You are ALWAYS required to pay your states tax, even though
    the retailer isn't always required to collect it for them. If the
    retailer doesn't, it becomes a "use tax", and YOU are responsible for
    sending it to your states revenue department.

    Granted, this is currently almost never enforced or even thought about;
    but it's on the books and may not ALWAYS be ignored.

    In the case of Ritz's "we'll pay the tax for you", I'm not too sure of
    the legality. If they're really reducing the price to compensate for
    sales tax, they may actually be over-collecting tax - and where does
    the overage go to..?

    Scott Schuckert, Dec 21, 2006
  16. irwell

    Cynicor Guest

    Scott Schuckert wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > George K <> wrote:
    >
    >> If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
    >> state"s use tax

    > He's right. You are ALWAYS required to pay your states tax, even though
    > the retailer isn't always required to collect it for them. If the
    > retailer doesn't, it becomes a "use tax", and YOU are responsible for
    > sending it to your states revenue department.

    I got a letter from NY State a few years ago, because I bought a travel
    bag in London, put my stuff in it, flew home with it, and then basically
    got rid of it when I got home. NY determined that I had "primarily used"
    the bag in NY State, and so I owed them use tax.

    Cynicor, Dec 21, 2006
  17. Neil Harrington wrote:

    > So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has
    > finally come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll
    > get one in a few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here
    > in the northeast in the winter.

    Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to bring me
    $900+ on eBay. I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list
    from another vendor.

    Rita

    =?iso-8859-1?Q?Rita_=C4_Berkowitz?=, Dec 21, 2006
  18. "Cynicor" <> wrote in message
    > Scott Schuckert wrote:
    >> In article <>,
    >> George K <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> If they do not charge your state"s sales tax you will have to pay your
    >>> state"s use tax

    >> He's right. You are ALWAYS required to pay your states tax, even though
    >> the retailer isn't always required to collect it for them. If the
    >> retailer doesn't, it becomes a "use tax", and YOU are responsible for
    >> sending it to your states revenue department.

    > I got a letter from NY State a few years ago, because I bought a travel
    > bag in London, put my stuff in it, flew home with it, and then basically
    > got rid of it when I got home. NY determined that I had "primarily used"
    > the bag in NY State, and so I owed them use tax.

    How did NYS know you bought the bag?

    Remember way back when IKEA opened? One in Hicksville and one off the
    Jersey Turnpike. IKEA advertised in NYC on buses, etc for people to shop in
    the Jersey store and save on the sales tax difference (Jersey's tax was at
    least 4% lower at the time). Someone in the NYS tax bureau got wind of this
    and a bunch of tax agents were sent to the Jersey store and they stuck a
    notice on each car with a NY license plate warning them that they are
    responsible to pay the difference in sales tax to NYS. What nerve! They
    were chided into stopping this practice when people raised a ruckus because
    it was akin to spying on them.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 22, 2006
  19. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    >
    >> So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has
    >> finally come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll
    >> get one in a few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here
    >> in the northeast in the winter.

    > Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to bring me
    > $900+ on eBay. I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list
    > from another vendor.

    What is it that you dislike about the lens?

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Dec 22, 2006
  20. "Rita Ä Berkowitz" <ritaberk2O04 @aol.com> wrote in message
    > Neil Harrington wrote:
    >
    >> So you really like the 18-200. It's good to see that its price has
    >> finally come down to the MSRP, at least at Ritz / Camera World. I'll
    >> get one in a few months -- I don't have much use for such a lens here
    >> in the northeast in the winter.

    > Nope, it's not a keeper. I do like the fact that it's going to bring me
    > $900+ on eBay.

    Aw. But I'm not really surprised, as it does not seem like your kind of a
    lens. I know you like that pricey, heavy f/2.8 stuff.

    > I did order another from Ritz and I'm still on a wait list from another
    > vendor.

    I've been thinking of ordering another 70-300 VR from Camera World for a
    similar reason. When they start to actually get delivered my guess is
    they'll be super-popular, may be in short supply, and may bring higher
    prices just as the 18-200 did for quite a while. If so, I'd be able to
    compare the two lenses carefully, keep the best one and sell the other on
    eBay.

    But can you really get $900+ for an 18-200 *now* when anyone can buy one
    from Ritz or Camera World for $750 just as you did? I would think anyone
    likely to spend that kind of money on a lens would know enough to check Ritz
    and other sellers.

    Neil

    Neil Harrington, Dec 22, 2006