Rising Frustration within Micro$oft

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 10, 2006.

  1. Have A Nice Cup of Tea, Mar 10, 2006

  2. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    >
    > A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.

    The only fascinating thing, and then not really, is the insight into how
    your tiny little mind functions, in posting puriel crap like this all
    day long.

    Washtech is a trade union, and attacking the capitalist corporate pigs
    is all standard fare for them regardless of the true facts of any
    situation.

    RJ, Mar 10, 2006

  3. "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    >
    > A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.
    >

    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >
    > --
    > Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    > Linux,
    > and it does all the things that they want."

    I don't know why, but i find replacing S with $ in microsoft somewhat
    annoying.

    news.xtra.co.nz, Mar 10, 2006
  4. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:16:55 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    >>
    >> A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >> Linux,
    >> and it does all the things that they want."
    >>

    >I don't know why, but i find replacing S with $ in microsoft somewhat
    >annoying.

    I find 'microsoft' in microsoft somewhat annoying :)

    GraB, Mar 10, 2006
  5. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Adam Guest

    On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:29:45 +1300, GraB wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 01:16:55 +1300, "news.xtra.co.nz"
    ><> wrote:

    >>"Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >>> http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    >>>
    >>> A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.
    >>> Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    >>> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >>> Linux,
    >>> and it does all the things that they want."

    >>I don't know why, but i find replacing S with $ in microsoft somewhat
    >>annoying.

    >I find 'microsoft' in microsoft somewhat annoying :)

    Heh ... good one! Personally, "Quantum Leap" gets my goat. Anything to
    do with quantum is pretty damn small! The term got mis-appropriated
    from Clive Sinclair's QL computer (many years before this newsgroup
    was born) and has sort of "stuck" - probably because most journos
    hadn't a clue as to what quantum theory was all about ;-)

    Adam.

    Adam, Mar 10, 2006
  6. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Allistar Guest

    news.xtra.co.nz wrote:

    > "Have A Nice Cup of Tea" <> wrote in message
    >> http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    >>
    >> A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.
    >>

    >> Have A Nice Cup of Tea
    >>
    >> --
    >> Jono Bacon: "I deal with companies every day that are moving over to
    >> Linux,
    >> and it does all the things that they want."
    >>

    > I don't know why, but i find replacing S with $ in microsoft somewhat
    > annoying.

    Indeed. It reveals a lot more about the poster then it does about Microsoft.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Mar 10, 2006
  7. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    > http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    > A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.

    Actually, it is probably more illustrative of humans in general than of that
    particular organisation (regardless of how illegal, unlawful and unethical
    it might be).
    Look at that chart - those are US$ ! Those folks are well paid, but still
    getting upset. Which illustrates what all good managers have known for
    decades; that money doesn't make people happy, and that you have to treat
    people fairly. Just paying people more $ doesn't make up for poor
    management behaviour.
    And this applies everywhere, not just at this particular organisation.

    Peter

    Peter, Mar 10, 2006
  8. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Stu Fleming Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > Actually, it is probably more illustrative of humans in general than of that
    > particular organisation (regardless of how illegal, unlawful and unethical
    > it might be).
    > Look at that chart - those are US$ ! Those folks are well paid, but still
    > getting upset. Which illustrates what all good managers have known for

    I spoke some years ago with a recent PhD graduate who had landed his
    "dream job" with Boeing. Starting salary was around US$80K, with
    bonuses to $100K. He was moaning about his 3hr (each way) commute. I
    asked why he didn't live closer to his work. He replied that on that
    salary, he just couldn't afford to.

    It's a different world. The life and work stresses are totally
    different and unless you've been there and experienced that, you can't
    really compare. (Although having said that, I wonder what similarity
    you might find if you did a comparison with the University of (deleted).
    How many people whinge and moan about how terrible it is to work
    there, but how many actually up sticks and go somewhere else because of
    that reason? Not many, if any. Perhaps the reason they get upset is
    because they know they are being exploited, can't do much about it, and
    can't really leave. One of those bizarre psych dependencies perhaps.

    But, generally I agree with your point - if you treat staff like shit
    and play them off against each other in some artificial simulation of
    internal competition, eventually they will walk and eventually, your
    corporate culture will leak out and affect your customer relations.

    And there are lessons there for NZ software companies too. If you treat
    your staff like that AND don't pay them good rates, they'll probably
    walk sooner rather than later. Even geeks have feelings.

    Stu Fleming, Mar 10, 2006
  9. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Mar 10, 2006
  10. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Peter Guest

    RJ wrote:

    > Washtech is a trade union, and attacking the capitalist corporate pigs
    > is all standard fare for them regardless of the true facts of any
    > situation.

    PR is standard stock in trade for unions. Success of industrial action can
    very much depend on public attitudes as bus drivers unions in Wellington
    found out in the early 1980's (people resented strikes just before
    Christmas and supported their elected councils who then ran the Wellington
    City and Eastbourne services).

    Peter, Mar 10, 2006
  11. Mauricio Freitas [MVP], Mar 10, 2006
  12. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    RJ Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Have A Nice Cup of Tea wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.washtech.org/news/industry/display.php?ID_Content=5041
    > >
    > > A facinating insight on how Micro$oft treats its staff.
    > >

    > Wonder when Fred Dagg will post on this - probably after he has received his
    > briefing from Redmond.

    What are you now, a paranoid tin hat wearer?

    RJ, Mar 10, 2006
  13. Have A Nice Cup of Tea

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Stu Fleming <> wrote in news:4411e49d$:

    > It's a different world.

    It has different cost of living, but other than that and some cultural
    differences, it is quite similar to NZ.

    I don't miss the traffic and unaffordable housing; I do miss 30 min drive
    to skiing and the family/ friends.

    I used to live in Vancouver. Now I live in NZ, and NZ is better if you
    make some sacrifices for other gains (like a 15 min commute vs a 1.5 hr one
    way to work).
    I like having paddocks so close by my house I can pretend I am in the
    countryside. Vancouver does not have that at all; to get that kind of
    experience, you drive for at least an hour on the motorway!

    People who have not travelled should refrain from commenting on us vs them
    arguments IMHO.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Mar 11, 2006