    analytical thing I gota do.

    Anyways, how can I rip the news from the stream ?

    thanks.
    Trog, Mar 23, 2006

  2. Trog

    Shane Guest

    Trog wrote:

    > Working on my degree. Need to do a semiotic analysis of the news. Our
    > videos shagged. However, due to the wonders of the internet I can watch
    > the
    > news on me computer via the tvone web site. I would like to rip the news
    > to a cd or the hard drive or something for repetitive viewing from an
    > analytical thing I gota do.
    >
    > Anyways, how can I rip the news from the stream ?
    >
    > thanks.

    Not sure how helpful this is as Im guessing you're on windows, but......

    mplayer -dumpstream http:/site/stream -dumpfile /my/harddrive/myfile.mpeg

    Im pretty sure mplayer works on windows
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/news.html
    Shane, Mar 23, 2006

  3. Trog

    Brendon Guest

    You'd probably want to drop them an email - as there is this little issue
    called Copyright.....

    Brendon, Mar 23, 2006
  4. Trog

    Dave Green Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > You'd probably want to drop them an email - as there is this little issue
    > called Copyright.....

    Which includes a little issue called "fair use"

    Dave Green, Mar 23, 2006
  5. Trog

    Brendon Guest

    http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvnz_story_skin/415803?format=html

    Copyright
    1. This Television New Zealand Limited website is protected by copyright.
    You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but no
    form of distribution or making available to the public (whether in print or
    electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted.

    You still think 'fair use' applies?

    Brendon, Mar 23, 2006
  6. Trog

    Shane Guest

    Brendon wrote:

    > http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvnz_story_skin/415803?format=html
    >
    > Copyright
    > 1. This Television New Zealand Limited website is protected by copyright.
    > You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but no
    > form of distribution or making available to the public (whether in print
    > or electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted.
    >
    > You still think 'fair use' applies?

    IIRC students have an exemption under copyright law, in that they may make a
    copy of copyrighted material, that is solely for the purpose of study, only
    kept for the duration of the study, and (heres the key bit) the student has
    exhausted all other means of obtaining the copyrighted material
    This was meant for students needing to copy swathes of reference materials
    that had been out of print for some time etc.etc
    (Although I will admit in this case the studentdoes not appear to have
    exhausted other means of obtaining legitimate copys)
    Now to fetch my LLB from the weetbix pack :)
    Shane, Mar 23, 2006
  7. Trog

    Shane Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Brendon wrote:
    >
    >> http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvnz_story_skin/415803?format=html
    >>
    >> Copyright
    >> 1. This Television New Zealand Limited website is protected by copyright.
    >> You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but
    >> no form of distribution or making available to the public (whether in
    >> print or electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted.
    >>
    >> You still think 'fair use' applies?
    >>

    > IIRC students have an exemption under copyright law, in that they may make
    > a copy of copyrighted material, that is solely for the purpose of study,
    > only kept for the duration of the study, and (heres the key bit) the
    > student has exhausted all other means of obtaining the copyrighted
    > material This was meant for students needing to copy swathes of reference
    > materials that had been out of print for some time etc.etc
    > (Although I will admit in this case the studentdoes not appear to have
    > exhausted other means of obtaining legitimate copys)
    > Now to fetch my LLB from the weetbix pack :)

    er.. I missed the point... TVNZ has granted people the right to print out a
    copy for personal use (in this instance the OP would be "printing out" a
    copy of the stream for his personal use) but the OP is restricted in that
    he may not make that copy available to other people (the public)
    Shane, Mar 23, 2006
  8. Trog

    Brendon Guest

    'printing' is definately not 'copying a streaming video' - and yes, you are
    right - it does not seem the student has exhausted his options fully...heck,
    they probably have archived footage available for just this purpose that he
    can access via ftp on a daily basis for all we know.

    Brendon, Mar 23, 2006
  9. Trog

    Shane Guest

    Brendon wrote:

    > 'printing' is definately not 'copying a streaming video' - and yes, you
    > are right - it does not seem the student has exhausted his options
    > fully...heck, they probably have archived footage available for just this
    > purpose that he can access via ftp on a daily basis for all we know.

    Hmm it would boil down to definitions.
    My personal (and therefore maybe bugged) definition of printing in this
    context is
    Taking a copy of copyrighted material, and storing it in (for want of a
    better word) hardware form
    Therefore
    Taking a copy of the streamed file, and storing it on CD (for example) would
    also loosely fit the same definition
    NZ law has been quite happy to use similar analogy's in the Crimes Act (eg,
    cracking another persons comp is considered similar to breaking and entry,
    copying files is theft, using false details is using a document with intent
    to something or rather)
    So (IMO) unless explicitly mentioned, TVNZ have allowed the 'fair use' of
    their copyrighted materials for printing off, and that includes the
    streamed content
    Shane, Mar 23, 2006
  10. Trog

    Dave Green Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvnz_story_skin/415803?format=html
    >
    > Copyright
    > 1. This Television New Zealand Limited website is protected by copyright.
    > You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but no
    > form of distribution or making available to the public (whether in print or
    > electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted.
    >
    > You still think 'fair use' applies?

    Given that the OP stated that he wants the copy to enable him to review
    the material for his own research, that there was no hint of him wanting
    to distribute it privately to others or the public, then I'd say "yes".

    Dave Green, Mar 23, 2006
  11. Trog

    Troggles Guest

    Brendon wrote:
    > You'd probably want to drop them an email - as there is this little issue
    > called Copyright.....
    >
    > "Trog" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Working on my degree. Need to do a semiotic analysis of the news. Our
    >>videos shagged. However, due to the wonders of the internet I can watch
    >>the news on me computer via the tvone web site. I would like to rip the
    >>news to a cd or the hard drive or something for repetitive viewing from an
    >>analytical thing I gota do.
    >>
    >>Anyways, how can I rip the news from the stream ?
    >>
    >>thanks.

    And of course your computer/s are running completely legally. Not a one
    without even a naughty little bit of software. hmmmmm ?
    Cause erm, if you are completely legit, without even an contentious
    image on yer puter, then youd be the only one. Specially around here
    Troggles, Mar 24, 2006
  12. Trog

    Troggles Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Brendon wrote:
    >

    >>http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvnz_story_skin/415803?format=html
    >>
    >>Copyright
    >>1. This Television New Zealand Limited website is protected by copyright.
    >>You may print out individual articles or pages for your private use but no
    >>form of distribution or making available to the public (whether in print
    >>or electronic form) of any of this website's content is permitted.
    >>
    >>You still think 'fair use' applies?
    >>

    > IIRC students have an exemption under copyright law, in that they may make a
    > copy of copyrighted material, that is solely for the purpose of study, only
    > kept for the duration of the study, and (heres the key bit) the student has
    > exhausted all other means of obtaining the copyrighted material
    > This was meant for students needing to copy swathes of reference materials
    > that had been out of print for some time etc.etc
    > (Although I will admit in this case the studentdoes not appear to have
    > exhausted other means of obtaining legitimate copys)
    > Now to fetch my LLB from the weetbix pack :)

    In this case, time is an issue.
    Troggles, Mar 24, 2006
  13. Trog

    Troggles Guest

    Trog wrote:
    > Working on my degree. Need to do a semiotic analysis of the news. Our
    > videos shagged. However, due to the wonders of the internet I can watch the
    > news on me computer via the tvone web site. I would like to rip the news to
    > a cd or the hard drive or something for repetitive viewing from an
    > analytical thing I gota do.
    >
    > Anyways, how can I rip the news from the stream ?
    >
    > thanks.

    Geesh. Sorry I asked. But um, I found something. And I'm sure tvnz
    arnt gonna bust me. And if they did, weeeeell, Ill just watch tv3 in
    future, <sniff>
    Troggles, Mar 24, 2006
  14. Trog

    Brendon Guest

    My oh my, touch a nerve did I? Is there anything else you are trying to
    hide? FFS - all I mentioned was dropping them an email - oh, thats right -
    you don't have enough time to. Hmm, sure seems you have enough time to
    frequent a newsgroup, read and post topics - or does that not take as long
    as composing a little email to TVNZ? But, hey, its your time, money,
    computer so do what you want, rip off TVNZ, no skin off my asre!

    Brendon, Mar 24, 2006
  15. Trog

    Troggles Guest

    Brendon wrote:

    > My oh my, touch a nerve did I? Is there anything else you are trying to
    > hide? FFS - all I mentioned was dropping them an email - oh, thats right -
    > you don't have enough time to. Hmm, sure seems you have enough time to
    > frequent a newsgroup, read and post topics - or does that not take as long
    > as composing a little email to TVNZ? But, hey, its your time, money,
    > computer so do what you want, rip off TVNZ, no skin off my asre!
    >
    > "Troggles" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Brendon wrote:
    >>
    >>>You'd probably want to drop them an email - as there is this little issue
    >>>called Copyright.....
    >>>
    >>>"Trog" <> wrote in message

    >>And of course your computer/s are running completely legally. Not a one
    >>without even a naughty little bit of software. hmmmmm ?
    >>Cause erm, if you are completely legit, without even an contentious image
    >>on yer puter, then youd be the only one. Specially around here

    methinks he doth get a little tooooooooo shity
    Troggles, Mar 24, 2006
  16. Trog

    Troggles Guest

    Brendon wrote:

    > My oh my, touch a nerve did I? Is there anything else you are trying to
    > hide? FFS - all I mentioned was dropping them an email - oh, thats right -
    > you don't have enough time to. Hmm, sure seems you have enough time to
    > frequent a newsgroup, read and post topics - or does that not take as long
    > as composing a little email to TVNZ? But, hey, its your time, money,
    > computer so do what you want, rip off TVNZ, no skin off my asre!
    >
    > "Troggles" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Brendon wrote:
    >>
    >>>You'd probably want to drop them an email - as there is this little issue
    >>>called Copyright.....
    >>>
    >>>"Trog" <> wrote in message

    >>And of course your computer/s are running completely legally. Not a one
    >>without even a naughty little bit of software. hmmmmm ?
    >>Cause erm, if you are completely legit, without even an contentious image
    >>on yer puter, then youd be the only one. Specially around here

    and um, the time factor is the dead line for the project. I know from
    experience it takes em fuckin days to answer.
    Troggles, Mar 24, 2006
  17. Trog

    Roger_Nickel Guest

    Dave Green wrote:
    > Brendon wrote:
    >
    >> http://tvnz.co.nz/view/tvnz_story_skin/415803?format=html
    >>
    >> Copyright 1. This Television New Zealand Limited website is
    >> protected by copyright. You may print out individual articles
    >> or pages for your private use but no form of distribution or
    >> making available to the public (whether in print or
    >> electronic form) of any of this website's content is
    >> permitted.
    >>
    >> You still think 'fair use' applies?
    >>

    > Given that the OP stated that he wants the copy to enable him
    > to review the material for his own research, that there was no
    > hint of him wanting to distribute it privately to others or the
    > public, then I'd say "yes".

    >> "Dave Green" <> wrote in message

    >>> Which includes a little issue called "fair use"

    "fair dealing for private study or research" is explicitly allowed
    by the Copyright Act. To my mind ripping streams is like taping
    off-air, legally dodgy but everyone does it. For your interest,
    the relevant section of the Copyright Act:-

    43.Research or private study—

    (1)Fair dealing with a work for the purposes of research or
    private study does not infringe copyright in the work.

    (2)For the avoidance of doubt, it is hereby declared that fair
    dealing with a published edition for the purposes of research or
    private study does not infringe copyright in either the
    typographical arrangement of the edition or any literary,
    dramatic, musical, or artistic work or part of a work in the
    edition.

    (3)In determining, for the purposes of subsection (1) of this
    section, whether copying, by means of a reprographic process or by
    any other means, constitutes fair dealing for the purposes of
    research or private study, a court shall have regard to—
    (a)The purpose of the copying; and
    (b)The nature of the work copied; and
    (c)Whether the work could have been obtained within a
    reasonable time at an ordinary commercial price; and
    (d)The effect of the copying on the potential market for, or
    value of, the work; and
    (e)Where part of a work is copied, the amount and substantiality
    of the part copied taken in relation to the whole work.

    (4)Nothing in this section authorises the making of more than
    one copy of the same work, or the same part of a work, on any one
    occasion.
    Roger_Nickel, Mar 24, 2006
  18. Trog

    s.t.e.v.e. Guest

    Brendon wrote:

    > You'd probably want to drop them an email - as there is this little issue
    > called Copyright.....

    What he's doing falls right into "fair use".
    s.t.e.v.e., Mar 28, 2006