    covers the entire screen.
    I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    that looks like it would work.

    Yeah Right, Aug 10, 2007

  2. On Aug 10, 9:43 pm, Yeah Right <>
    wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    > widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    > I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    > great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    > Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    > 2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    > I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    > covers the entire screen.
    > I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    > that looks like it would work.

    about $1500 at the local retro vision(or k1w1 equivolent) should sort
    it! Go flat screen!

    bustabraincell, Aug 10, 2007

  3. Yeah Right

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 10 Aug, 12:43, Yeah Right <>
    wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    > widescreen format most movies now come out in.

    Avisynth should be able to do the conversion if you just want to crop
    the sides off and/or squash the picture. You'll probably need other
    software to do the actual ripping and burning back to DVD though.

    > I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    > that looks like it would work.

    The 4:3 Pan & Scan option that's there on most DVD players relies on
    data encoded on the DVD telling it where to crop. If the data is
    there, it should give better results than just cropping to the middle
    of the screen with Avisynth or other software, but in most cases, the
    studios don't bother with it and the DVD player will just revert to
    letterboxed. Look for the word "anamorphic" or both 16:9 and 4:3
    symbols on any DVDs you buy, some titles are produced both with and
    without for some reason known only to the studios.

    Jason Rumney, Aug 10, 2007
  4. Yeah Right

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "bustabraincell" <> wrote in message
    > On Aug 10, 9:43 pm, Yeah Right <>
    > wrote:
    >> Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    >> widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    >> I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    >> great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    >> Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    >> 2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    >> I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    >> covers the entire screen.
    >> I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    >> that looks like it would work.

    > about $1500 at the local retro vision(or k1w1 equivolent) should sort
    > it! Go flat screen!

    28 inch crt widescreen for $500

    Craig Sutton, Aug 10, 2007
  5. Yeah Right

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:43:41 +1200, Yeah Right
    <> wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    >widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    >I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    >great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    >Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    >2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    >I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    >covers the entire screen.
    >I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    >that looks like it would work.

    Hasn't your DVD player got something like EzyView, a button that zooms
    in the video in stages until it fills the screen, or at least with
    smaller black black bands?

    I am not in favour of the very widescreen formats myself, like 2.55:1.
    16:9 is OK. But the very wide thin picture is no good on a
    conventional TV. Movies at 2.55:1 leave black bands on even the new
    widescreen flat panel TVs. Why is that good? Like one movie director
    said: Widescreen is only good for snakes and railway lines.

    I only watch fullscreen DVD movies and TV series on the TV.
    Everything else goes onto the PC. The quality is much higher and
    though the picture is smaller on the 19" CRT monitor there is a lot
    more detail so it is better. But I hope to oneday aquire a 24 - 26"
    LCD widescreen for the PC, in 1920x1200 resolution. That would be
    nice. But I would need a new PC with new video card and XP, first, to
    support that resolution.

    Nighthawk, Aug 10, 2007
  6. Yeah Right

    WD Guest

    On Aug 10, 11:43 pm, Yeah Right <>
    wrote:
    > Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    > widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    > I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    > great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    > Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    > 2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    > I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    > covers the entire screen.
    > I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    > that looks like it would work.

    Try "Smart Ripper" to rip the DVD to your hard drive. Use a program
    like DGMPGDec which takes the .vob files, extracts the audio and
    creates a file referencing the pictures in the .vob files. Then you
    can write a script which crops the video. This script is then opened
    with a program like Nandub and then you can encode it into a format
    like Xvid which reduces the amount of size the movie takes up. Then,
    if your DVD player supports Xvid (I don't think many do though) you
    can play your cropped movies on it. Encoding movings into Xvid takes
    a while though (like hours)..

    In any case, you can find out more at www.doom9.org. It has lots of
    information on backing up your DVDs and it has links to the necessary
    programs as well.

    On the other hand, depending how you want to watch the DVDs the
    simplest solution may be to just download VLC media player and watch
    your DVDs using that. VLC media player allows you to crop the video
    you are watching, or you can squash it to fit the aspect ratio you
    want. But that means you have to watch it on your computer. However,
    you can watch it on your TV too if you have a TV video out on your
    graphics card.

    Weihana.

    WD, Aug 10, 2007
  7. Yeah Right

    Jason Rumney Guest

    On 10 Aug, 13:41, Jason Rumney <> wrote:

    > Avisynth should be able to do the conversion if you just want to crop
    > the sides off and/or squash the picture. You'll probably need other
    > software to do the actual ripping and burning back to DVD though.

    A friendlier option (I thought AVISync was GUI, but I was confusing it
    with VirtualDub) is probably ffmpeg with some frontend like ffmpegX or
    maybe VNC (many options are hidden in VNC though).

    This thread shows that someone has done this sort of cropping with
    NTSC DVDs using ffmpeg, and the ffmpegX author added what was
    necessary to use ffmpegX instead of the command-line.

    http://www.videohelp.com/forum/archive/16-9-to-4-3-t289113.html

    Jason Rumney, Aug 10, 2007
  8. Yeah Right

    The Biker Guest

    "Jason Rumney" <> wrote in message
    > On 10 Aug, 12:43, Yeah Right <>
    > wrote:
    >> Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    >> widescreen format most movies now come out in.

    > Avisynth should be able to do the conversion if you just want to crop
    > the sides off and/or squash the picture. You'll probably need other
    > software to do the actual ripping and burning back to DVD though.
    >
    >> I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    >> that looks like it would work.

    > The 4:3 Pan & Scan option that's there on most DVD players relies on
    > data encoded on the DVD telling it where to crop. If the data is
    > there, it should give better results than just cropping to the middle
    > of the screen with Avisynth or other software, but in most cases, the
    > studios don't bother with it and the DVD player will just revert to
    > letterboxed. Look for the word "anamorphic" or both 16:9 and 4:3
    > symbols on any DVDs you buy, some titles are produced both with and
    > without for some reason known only to the studios.

    When reading this post I remembered the "Proscar" anamorphic lens
    I used to have for my 16mm movie projector and decided to go find it.
    After sorting through cartons and packing cases I finally found it.
    Anyone want a good cinemascope lens? $100

    The Biker, Aug 10, 2007
  9. Yeah Right

    Greg House Guest

    On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 23:43:41 +1200, Yeah Right <> wrote:

    >Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    >widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    >I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    >great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    >Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    >2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    >I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    >covers the entire screen.
    >I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    >that looks like it would work.

    No buy equipment that supports the Format or put up with it..

    Greg House, Aug 10, 2007
  10. Yeah Right

    RL Guest

    Yeah Right wrote:
    > I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    > that looks like it would work.

    If you set your DVD player to a 16:9 screen ratio (instead of the
    correct 4:3), it will result in anamoprhically enhanced widescreen
    movies being stretched vertically. This will make 16:9 titles fill the
    screen, but wider movies will still have black bars, but they will be
    much smaller. Won't work on letterboxed DVDs where the transfer is on a
    4:3 frame already.

    RL

    RL, Aug 10, 2007
  11. Yeah Right

    blanking Guest

    "Yeah Right" <> wrote in message
    > Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    > widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    > I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    > great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    > Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    > 2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    > I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    > covers the entire screen.
    > I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    > that looks like it would work.

    Just set your dvd player output to pan & scan, 4:3 etc....
    It's not a matter of if it cuts the sides off, think about it, if you want
    to fit a black rectangle into a white square but have the square completely
    filled by the black rectangle then you are going to have to cut the sides of
    the rectangle off so now it is a black square and hence can fill the white
    square.
    I hope I have not over complicated my explanation, but it's hard to explain
    something so simple that should not need explaining to start with,
    especially since I don't really think the problem is people not been able to
    understand but people having a closed mind, if you can actually get them to
    open their mind and think about the problem then I don't think anybody that
    does not have some kind of brain dysfunction will not understand.
    So anyhow if you really want to see less picture so you can fill your screen
    then you can but I do find it very hard to believe that an informed person
    could make this decision, watch a movie like pearl harbour in full picture
    and then in fullscreen and if you still prefer fullscreen we will all know
    that you have made an informed choice, crazy as it might be to most people.

    blanking, Aug 11, 2007
  12. Yeah Right

    blanking Guest

    "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    > "Yeah Right" <> wrote in message
    >> Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    >> widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    >> I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    >> great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    >> Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    >> 2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    >> I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    >> covers the entire screen.
    >> I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    >> that looks like it would work.

    > Just set your dvd player output to pan & scan, 4:3 etc....
    > It's not a matter of if it cuts the sides off, think about it, if you want
    > to fit a black rectangle into a white square but have the square
    > completely filled by the black rectangle then you are going to have to cut
    > the sides of the rectangle off so now it is a black square and hence can
    > fill the white square.
    > I hope I have not over complicated my explanation, but it's hard to
    > explain something so simple that should not need explaining to start with,
    > especially since I don't really think the problem is people not been able
    > to understand but people having a closed mind, if you can actually get
    > them to open their mind and think about the problem then I don't think
    > anybody that does not have some kind of brain dysfunction will not
    > understand.
    > So anyhow if you really want to see less picture so you can fill your
    > screen then you can but I do find it very hard to believe that an informed
    > person could make this decision, watch a movie like pearl harbour in full
    > picture and then in fullscreen and if you still prefer fullscreen we will
    > all know that you have made an informed choice, crazy as it might be to
    > most people.

    Woops, jumped the gun there, a long time since I tried this and then it was
    only for experimentation so forgot that the pan & scan does not work on most
    dvd's so like the other person said you should have a zoom button on your
    dvd remote although I would have thought you would have found this yourself
    already if you were looking for a way to fill your screen. anyhow this whole
    thing is crazy, you are trying to go against the very nature of what a movie
    format is, you might as well complain that your car does not fly and then
    proceed to try and make it do so when it was never designed to fly to begin
    with just as a movie was never designed to fill your square screen.

    blanking, Aug 11, 2007
  13. Yeah Right

    Will Spencer Guest

    BTW will TV3 be showing the Rugby WC in wide screen? I bloody well hope so.

    -ws

    Will Spencer, Aug 11, 2007
  14. Yeah Right

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:26:26 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:

    >"blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Yeah Right" <> wrote in message
    >>> Can anyone suggest a video ripping program to get rid of the
    >>> widescreen format most movies now come out in.
    >>> I am damn sick of watching DVD's on my TV screen with bloody
    >>> great big bands of black at the top and bottom of the screen.
    >>> Something to change it from 16:9 (or Enhanced Widescreen
    >>> 2.35:1/2.40:1) to something more watchable like 4:3.
    >>> I don't even care if it cuts the sides off as long as the picture
    >>> covers the entire screen.
    >>> I've looked at the menu on my DVD player but can't find anything
    >>> that looks like it would work.

    >> Just set your dvd player output to pan & scan, 4:3 etc....
    >> It's not a matter of if it cuts the sides off, think about it, if you want
    >> to fit a black rectangle into a white square but have the square
    >> completely filled by the black rectangle then you are going to have to cut
    >> the sides of the rectangle off so now it is a black square and hence can
    >> fill the white square.
    >> I hope I have not over complicated my explanation, but it's hard to
    >> explain something so simple that should not need explaining to start with,
    >> especially since I don't really think the problem is people not been able
    >> to understand but people having a closed mind, if you can actually get
    >> them to open their mind and think about the problem then I don't think
    >> anybody that does not have some kind of brain dysfunction will not
    >> understand.
    >> So anyhow if you really want to see less picture so you can fill your
    >> screen then you can but I do find it very hard to believe that an informed
    >> person could make this decision, watch a movie like pearl harbour in full
    >> picture and then in fullscreen and if you still prefer fullscreen we will
    >> all know that you have made an informed choice, crazy as it might be to
    >> most people.
    >>

    >Woops, jumped the gun there, a long time since I tried this and then it was
    >only for experimentation so forgot that the pan & scan does not work on most
    >dvd's so like the other person said you should have a zoom button on your
    >dvd remote although I would have thought you would have found this yourself
    >already if you were looking for a way to fill your screen. anyhow this whole
    >thing is crazy, you are trying to go against the very nature of what a movie
    >format is, you might as well complain that your car does not fly and then
    >proceed to try and make it do so when it was never designed to fly to begin
    >with just as a movie was never designed to fill your square screen.

    On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    but it is there.

    On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs of
    the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the other.
    With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when viewing
    on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    Nighthawk, Aug 11, 2007
  15. Yeah Right

    NR Guest

    On Aug 12, 12:10 am, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    > On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:26:26 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >
    > >"blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    > >> "Yeah Right" <> wrote in message

    > >> Just set your dvd player output to pan & scan, 4:3 etc....
    > >> It's not a matter of if it cuts the sides off, think about it, if you want
    > >> to fit a black rectangle into a white square but have the square
    > >> completely filled by the black rectangle then you are going to have to cut
    > >> the sides of the rectangle off so now it is a black square and hence can
    > >> fill the white square.
    > >> I hope I have not over complicated my explanation, but it's hard to
    > >> explain something so simple that should not need explaining to start with,
    > >> especially since I don't really think the problem is people not been able
    > >> to understand but people having a closed mind, if you can actually get
    > >> them to open their mind and think about the problem then I don't think
    > >> anybody that does not have some kind of brain dysfunction will not
    > >> understand.
    > >> So anyhow if you really want to see less picture so you can fill your
    > >> screen then you can but I do find it very hard to believe that an informed
    > >> person could make this decision, watch a movie like pearl harbour in full
    > >> picture and then in fullscreen and if you still prefer fullscreen we will
    > >> all know that you have made an informed choice, crazy as it might be to
    > >> most people.

    > >Woops, jumped the gun there, a long time since I tried this and then it was
    > >only for experimentation so forgot that the pan & scan does not work on most
    > >dvd's so like the other person said you should have a zoom button on your
    > >dvd remote although I would have thought you would have found this yourself
    > >already if you were looking for a way to fill your screen. anyhow this whole
    > >thing is crazy, you are trying to go against the very nature of what a movie
    > >format is, you might as well complain that your car does not fly and then
    > >proceed to try and make it do so when it was never designed to fly to begin
    > >with just as a movie was never designed to fill your square screen.

    > On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    > Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    > but it is there.
    >
    > On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    > fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs of
    > the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    > double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the other.
    > With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when viewing
    > on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    The director intended you to see it in the 16:9 or 2.35:1 format.
    There is often detail in the edges of the picture, eg 2 people talking
    to each other in close up.

    Also all modern TV is shown in 16:9, TV3, C4 and UKTV are already
    broadcasting it properly. TV1 & 2 will be "soon" apparently. Get with
    the programme and get a 16:9 tv. The wider (cinema format) films wil
    also look better. (They will have black bands, but not as much as on a
    4:3 screen). You'll be glad you did it.

    NR, Aug 14, 2007
  16. Yeah Right

    Kent Smith Guest

    NR wrote:
    > On Aug 12, 12:10 am, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:26:26 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    >>> Woops, jumped the gun there, a long time since I tried this and
    >>> then it was only for experimentation so forgot that the pan & scan
    >>> does not work on most dvd's so like the other person said you
    >>> should have a zoom button on your dvd remote although I would have
    >>> thought you would have found this yourself already if you were
    >>> looking for a way to fill your screen. anyhow this whole thing is
    >>> crazy, you are trying to go against the very nature of what a movie
    >>> format is, you might as well complain that your car does not fly
    >>> and then proceed to try and make it do so when it was never
    >>> designed to fly to begin with just as a movie was never designed to
    >>> fill your square screen.

    >> On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    >> Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    >> but it is there.
    >>
    >> On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    >> fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs
    >> of the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    >> double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the
    >> other. With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when
    >> viewing on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    > The director intended you to see it in the 16:9 or 2.35:1 format.
    > There is often detail in the edges of the picture, eg 2 people talking
    > to each other in close up.
    >
    > Also all modern TV is shown in 16:9, TV3, C4 and UKTV are already
    > broadcasting it properly. TV1 & 2 will be "soon" apparently. Get with
    > the programme and get a 16:9 tv. The wider (cinema format) films wil
    > also look better. (They will have black bands, but not as much as on a
    > 4:3 screen). You'll be glad you did it.

    I was convinced when I watched one of my favourite movies and noticed 3
    extra characters in one of the scenes I hadn't noticed before. I didn't
    even know why at the time but I had a VHS P&S version of the same movie, got
    it to that same seen an was shocked at how much I was missing. :)

    FYI - This was ~1990. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 15, 2007
  17. Yeah Right

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:23:17 -0700, NR <> wrote:

    >On Aug 12, 12:10 am, Nighthawk <> wrote:
    >> On Sat, 11 Aug 2007 11:26:26 +1200, "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote:
    >>
    >> >"blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    >> >Woops, jumped the gun there, a long time since I tried this and then it was
    >> >only for experimentation so forgot that the pan & scan does not work on most
    >> >dvd's so like the other person said you should have a zoom button on your
    >> >dvd remote although I would have thought you would have found this yourself
    >> >already if you were looking for a way to fill your screen. anyhow this whole
    >> >thing is crazy, you are trying to go against the very nature of what a movie
    >> >format is, you might as well complain that your car does not fly and then
    >> >proceed to try and make it do so when it was never designed to fly to begin
    >> >with just as a movie was never designed to fill your square screen.

    >> On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    >> Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    >> but it is there.
    >>
    >> On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    >> fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs of
    >> the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    >> double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the other.
    >> With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when viewing
    >> on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    >The director intended you to see it in the 16:9 or 2.35:1 format.
    >There is often detail in the edges of the picture, eg 2 people talking
    >to each other in close up.

    In some movies, in my opinion, extreme widescreen is unnecessary. We
    have been used to seeing movies on TV broadcast fullscreen, a few
    broadcast at 16:9, which is ok on a 4:3 TV, and we didn't get upset at
    the picture we couldn't see. I have found that on some widescreen
    movies, in 2.55/2.35:1, most of what is happening at either end isn't
    missed, I sometimes zoom in one stage (approximately 16:9). Only a
    few movies that I have seen have to be seen in full width, such as
    "Waterloo" and the Civil War movies "Gods and Generals" and
    "Gettysburg".

    Nighthawk, Aug 15, 2007
  18. Yeah Right

    Nighthawk Guest

    On Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:41:02 +1200, "Kent Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >NR wrote:
    >> On Aug 12, 12:10 am, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >>> On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    >>> Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    >>> but it is there.
    >>>
    >>> On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    >>> fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs
    >>> of the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    >>> double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the
    >>> other. With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when
    >>> viewing on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    >> The director intended you to see it in the 16:9 or 2.35:1 format.
    >> There is often detail in the edges of the picture, eg 2 people talking
    >> to each other in close up.
    >>
    >> Also all modern TV is shown in 16:9, TV3, C4 and UKTV are already
    >> broadcasting it properly. TV1 & 2 will be "soon" apparently. Get with
    >> the programme and get a 16:9 tv. The wider (cinema format) films wil
    >> also look better. (They will have black bands, but not as much as on a
    >> 4:3 screen). You'll be glad you did it.

    >I was convinced when I watched one of my favourite movies and noticed 3
    >extra characters in one of the scenes I hadn't noticed before. I didn't
    >even know why at the time but I had a VHS P&S version of the same movie, got
    >it to that same seen an was shocked at how much I was missing. :)
    >
    >FYI - This was ~1990. :)

    Interesting. I have recently replaced tape versions of some favourite
    movies with DVDs and found the extra on the edges didn't add anythig.
    One thing, especially in 'people' movies, the people look smaller and
    that takes away from the movie, for me. In "Breakfast at Tiffany's" I
    much preferred it fullscreen. But epics can gain from widescreen.

    Nighthawk, Aug 15, 2007
  19. Yeah Right

    blanking Guest

    "Nighthawk" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 13:23:17 -0700, NR <> wrote:

    >>> On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    >>> Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    >>> but it is there.
    >>>
    >>> On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    >>> fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs of
    >>> the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    >>> double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the other.
    >>> With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when viewing
    >>> on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    >>The director intended you to see it in the 16:9 or 2.35:1 format.
    >>There is often detail in the edges of the picture, eg 2 people talking
    >>to each other in close up.
    >>

    > In some movies, in my opinion, extreme widescreen is unnecessary. We
    > have been used to seeing movies on TV broadcast fullscreen, a few
    > broadcast at 16:9, which is ok on a 4:3 TV, and we didn't get upset at
    > the picture we couldn't see. I have found that on some widescreen
    > movies, in 2.55/2.35:1, most of what is happening at either end isn't
    > missed, I sometimes zoom in one stage (approximately 16:9). Only a
    > few movies that I have seen have to be seen in full width, such as
    > "Waterloo" and the Civil War movies "Gods and Generals" and
    > "Gettysburg".

    A lot more movies than that need to be seen in OAR(original aspect ratio),
    there are a few where it does not matter so much but most movies look far
    better in OAR and a substantial amount suffer terribly if chopped to fill a
    tv screen, I wonder how many comparisons you have actually made between OAR
    and butchered.

    blanking, Aug 15, 2007
  20. Yeah Right

    blanking Guest

    "Kent Smith" <> wrote in message
    > NR wrote:
    >> On Aug 12, 12:10 am, Nighthawk <> wrote:

    >>> On my Samsung it is a zoom button (EZ View) and on my sister's
    >>> Panasonic you have to go to menu then a submenu, not so convenient,
    >>> but it is there.
    >>>
    >>> On the question of formats, most movies on regular TV are shown
    >>> fullscreen (some with small degree of letterboxing) though the DVDs
    >>> of the same movies are widescreen. I have a couple of DVDs that are
    >>> double-sided with full-screen on one side and widescreen on the
    >>> other. With those movies, I usually prefer the fullscreen side when
    >>> viewing on a 4:3 monitor or TV.

    >> The director intended you to see it in the 16:9 or 2.35:1 format.
    >> There is often detail in the edges of the picture, eg 2 people talking
    >> to each other in close up.
    >>
    >> Also all modern TV is shown in 16:9, TV3, C4 and UKTV are already
    >> broadcasting it properly. TV1 & 2 will be "soon" apparently. Get with
    >> the programme and get a 16:9 tv. The wider (cinema format) films wil
    >> also look better. (They will have black bands, but not as much as on a
    >> 4:3 screen). You'll be glad you did it.

    > I was convinced when I watched one of my favourite movies and noticed 3
    > extra characters in one of the scenes I hadn't noticed before. I didn't
    > even know why at the time but I had a VHS P&S version of the same movie,
    > got it to that same seen an was shocked at how much I was missing. :)
    >
    > FYI - This was ~1990. :)
    >

    > -KENT

    Good on you for seeing the light, some people are too closed minded and
    don't want to see the truth although I am convinced that the vast majority
    of people would also be convinced once they see with their own eyes the
    difference. One of the worst examples I have seen of a movie been completely
    destroyed by the fill the tv screen process is pearl harbour(2001), it
    astounds me that tv3 would bother broadcasting this movie in such a bad
    state, it was absolutely ridiculous.

    blanking, Aug 15, 2007