    the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    Max, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Max wrote:
    > I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    > my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after
    > doing a search in Google, and the reason I found it was because they
    > had left my companies name in part of the text! They are also using a
    > few of the images from my site, although they have modified them
    > slightly. The site is infact a competitors site, and I won't name them
    > at this stage.
    > Anyone know what I can do, as I am sure this things goes on all over
    > the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    > mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    > deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    Contact a lawyer?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Max

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Max wrote:
    > I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    > my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after

    Check this out:

    http://www.pirated-sites.com/

    Nik Coughin, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Max

    Max Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:29:03 +1300, "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Max wrote:
    >> I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    >> my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after
    >> doing a search in Google, and the reason I found it was because they
    >> had left my companies name in part of the text! They are also using a
    >> few of the images from my site, although they have modified them
    >> slightly. The site is infact a competitors site, and I won't name them
    >> at this stage.
    >> Anyone know what I can do, as I am sure this things goes on all over
    >> the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    >> mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    >> deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    >Contact a lawyer?

    I would but the fees wouldn't be worth it. From my experience they
    would just get a warning letter, and a small rap over the knuckles,
    and I would be out of pocket for a few hundred at the very least.

    Max, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Max

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Max wrote:
    > If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    > mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    > deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    If you found them in Google then the site in question will be in Google's
    cache so they won't be able to simply remove the reference to your company
    and deny everything.

    When you're looking at the search results from Google the "cached" option
    appears at the bottom:

    Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19
    The Official Talk-Like A Pirate Day Web site.
    Because we're guys, and because we can. ...
    themselves as seafaring criminals.
    Category: Recreation > Humor > Subcultures
    www.talklikeapirate.com/ - 3k - Cached - Similar pages

    Not all sites are cached however. If that one has been, then you have them.
    Also try and save an offline copy of their site.

    www.archive.org also maintains an archive of sites, they may have indexed
    the site in question. They can't really change and deny at this point,
    there are too many places that will have their site cached/archived.

    Other than that, talk to a lawyer.

    Nik Coughin, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Max

    Nik Coughin Guest

    Max wrote:

    >> Contact a lawyer?

    > I would but the fees wouldn't be worth it. From my experience they
    > would just get a warning letter, and a small rap over the knuckles,
    > and I would be out of pocket for a few hundred at the very least.

    You should at least talk to a lawyer to see if they think it is worth suing
    for damages. If the lawyer thinks that you have a good case then you might
    be in pocket rather than out of.

    Nik Coughin, Mar 3, 2004
  7. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:21:33 +1300, Max <>
    wrote:

    >I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    >my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after
    >doing a search in Google, and the reason I found it was because they
    >had left my companies name in part of the text! They are also using a
    >few of the images from my site, although they have modified them
    >slightly. The site is infact a competitors site, and I won't name them
    >at this stage.
    >Anyone know what I can do, as I am sure this things goes on all over
    >the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    >mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    >deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    Drop me a line and I can check it out -- with embarrassing
    consequences for the infringer if needs be :)

    Bruce Simpson, Mar 3, 2004
  8. Max

    Enkidu Guest

    wrote:

    >I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    >my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after
    >doing a search in Google, and the reason I found it was because they
    >had left my companies name in part of the text! They are also using a
    >few of the images from my site, although they have modified them
    >slightly. The site is infact a competitors site, and I won't name them
    >at this stage.
    >Anyone know what I can do, as I am sure this things goes on all over
    >the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    >mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    >deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    If it's on a website anyone can take a copy. Claiming copyright on
    something on the Web is pointless. However I think that you could sue
    someone for damaging your business or reputation if they did *by*
    taking a copy.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Mar 3, 2004
  9. Max

    Chris Guest

    Max <> wrote in

    > I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    > my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after
    > doing a search in Google, and the reason I found it was because they
    > had left my companies name in part of the text! They are also using a
    > few of the images from my site, although they have modified them
    > slightly. The site is infact a competitors site, and I won't name them
    > at this stage.
    > Anyone know what I can do, as I am sure this things goes on all over
    > the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    > mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    > deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    You could consume your self trying to "put one over them" by getting a
    lawyer etc etc but what about disecting their web site and seeing what meta
    tags etc they are using with a view to improving your own site. How are
    you better than them ? Are these facts pointed out on your website ? In
    general, you need to ask the question "How can I turn this to my advantage
    ?" or "How can I learn from this ?" rather than "How can I get these
    buggers back ?" because if they are that unskilled or desparate that they
    have to "steal" your website they can't be up to much business wise.

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Mar 3, 2004
  10. On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 15:21:33 +1300, Max <>
    wrote:

    >I ahve just found another NZ company, that has taken information from
    >my website and used it on their own website. I found the site after
    >doing a search in Google, and the reason I found it was because they
    >had left my companies name in part of the text! They are also using a
    >few of the images from my site, although they have modified them
    >slightly. The site is infact a competitors site, and I won't name them
    >at this stage.
    >Anyone know what I can do, as I am sure this things goes on all over
    >the place. If I contact them, they will probably just remove the
    >mention of my company from the text they ripped off my website, and
    >deny everything. Anyone had similar experiences?

    Firstly gather evidence, save of copy of there website on your
    hardrive. Then send a firm but polite cease and desist notice to
    them. Don't use email, instead use either a letter or fax. Basically
    a letter saying you own the copyright to work and you want them to
    remove it from there website.

    If that brings no luck then you can try going to the company that is
    hosting the companies website. Again send a letter saying there
    customer is infringing on your copyright and they have ignored a cease
    and desist notice. If there webhost is US based then you can use the
    DMCA to help resolve the issue.

    Also another option to try is Google. They will remove copyright
    infringements from their index if you follow the steps at
    http://www.google.com/dmca.html
    Even if both parties are not based in the US then Google will still
    follow the DMCA. For a lot of companies getting removed from Google's
    index is almost as bad as having their site taken down.

    --
    Richard Gallagher

    Richard Gallagher, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Max

    Guest

    On Wed, 03 Mar 2004 22:00:19 +1300, Enkidu <>
    wrote:
    >If it's on a website anyone can take a copy. Claiming copyright on
    >something on the Web is pointless. .

    A common mistake. Everything on the internet is copyright unless
    stated otherwise. Even the copyright licence we have at work that lets
    us copy most stuff (or at least bits of it) for teaching purposes does
    not let us copy anything from the web.
    Proving and enforcing it is another matter though.

    Bruce.

    , Mar 7, 2004