Ripping CD's

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Starkey, Oct 17, 2005.

  1. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    This has me totally stumped so any help will be appreciated:

    A friend has just bought an IPOD and everytime he tries to import music
    from an original CD the pc crashes (freezes ~ no blue screen or error
    messages).

    Heres what happens:

    From I-tunes, try to import the whole cd, somewhere between half a
    track and 5 tracks the pc locks up, can't CTRL-ALT-Del etc, the only way
    to get out is to reset the whole pc.

    Tried to do the same from Windows Media Play (v10) and initially got
    exactly the same problem, when I changed the default output type to MP3,
    it will rip the cd, but I really need to do this from I-Tunes.

    The pc has a 2.2 AThlon, 356 RAM. Have tried an extra 512 (known good)
    RAM in there in both slots so have ruled out memory. Have run a heat
    test on the CPU and all seems fine so I don't think its that. Tried
    another CD drive and get the same problem.

    The CD drive was set to a slave to the HD, tried it as a master and
    changed IDE cables - still have the same problem.

    Any suggestions with this would be greatly appreciated,

    thanks in advance,

    Starkey.

    Starkey, Oct 17, 2005

  2. Starkey

    Mitch Guest

    In article <vuJ4f.134237$>, Starkey
    <> wrote:

    > Tried to do the same from Windows Media Play (v10) and initially got
    > exactly the same problem, when I changed the default output type to MP3,
    > it will rip the cd, but I really need to do this from I-Tunes.

    I guess iTunes isn't the problem, but you also can just add existing
    MP3 files to it, also. I mean, if you created a bunch of MP3 files in
    one program and then added them, you'd be fine -- but I gather that
    iTunes tagged fields are better than most MP3 programs.

    Mitch, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    Mitch wrote:
    > In article <vuJ4f.134237$>, Starkey
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tried to do the same from Windows Media Play (v10) and initially got
    >>exactly the same problem, when I changed the default output type to MP3,
    >>it will rip the cd, but I really need to do this from I-Tunes.

    > I guess iTunes isn't the problem, but you also can just add existing
    > MP3 files to it, also. I mean, if you created a bunch of MP3 files in
    > one program and then added them, you'd be fine -- but I gather that
    > iTunes tagged fields are better than most MP3 programs.

    Not sure how that answers my question to be honest.

    Any more ideas, I need to keep this is simple as possible for my friend,
    who hasn't really a clue with computers, so I really need to use either
    ITunes or Windows Media Player...

    Starkey, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Starkey

    PC Guest

    "Starkey" <> wrote in message
    > Mitch wrote:
    >> In article <vuJ4f.134237$>, Starkey
    >> <> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Tried to do the same from Windows Media Play (v10) and initially got
    >>>exactly the same problem, when I changed the default output type to MP3,
    >>>it will rip the cd, but I really need to do this from I-Tunes.

    >> I guess iTunes isn't the problem, but you also can just add existing
    >> MP3 files to it, also. I mean, if you created a bunch of MP3 files in
    >> one program and then added them, you'd be fine -- but I gather that
    >> iTunes tagged fields are better than most MP3 programs.

    > Not sure how that answers my question to be honest.
    >
    > Any more ideas, I need to keep this is simple as possible for my friend,
    > who hasn't really a clue with computers, so I really need to use either
    > ITunes or Windows Media Player...

    Starkey

    Regretfully 'keeping it simple' may not be an option, after all it is a
    'computer'.
    However two things to try

    1 Completely remove iTunes, reboot, turn off any antivirus & anti spyware
    programs & try reinstalling iTunes again.
    I'm not fully up to speed with the way iTunes works but I would think there
    is a common subroutine used to communicate with the iPod by both iTunes and
    Media Player.
    2 Visit Apple's website, Google and check out sound newsgroups for this
    problem.
    A piece of software this common usually quickly builds up a pile of 'fixes'
    for problems encountered.

    Cheers
    Paul.

    PC, Oct 19, 2005
  5. Starkey

    Starkey Guest

    > 1 Completely remove iTunes, reboot, turn off any antivirus & anti spyware
    > programs & try reinstalling iTunes again.

    Done - no difference.

    > I'm not fully up to speed with the way iTunes works but I would think there
    > is a common subroutine used to communicate with the iPod by both iTunes and
    > Media Player.

    > 2 Visit Apple's website, Google and check out sound newsgroups for this
    > problem.

    Done - can;t find anything, hence the post here!

    > A piece of software this common usually quickly builds up a pile of 'fixes'
    > for problems encountered.

    Fair comment, but I can't find any particular fix, looks like the next
    step is a format and try again I think, but as the PC's owner is not
    really computer literate, files are all over the place, so I didn't
    really want to trawl through the pc looking for all the important files
    that require a backup first!

    Starkey, Oct 19, 2005