    This camera cost me £425, and the Circuit Board had to be replaced by
    Pentax UK at a cost of £90.

    Thank you

    sensible, Nov 5, 2004

  2. "sensible" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    > 330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?

    How heavily is it used? How many pictures per day?

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 5, 2004

  3. sensible

    Mark Roberts Guest

    (sensible) wrote:

    >Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    >330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?
    >
    >This camera cost me £425, and the Circuit Board had to be replaced by
    >Pentax UK at a cost of £90.

    £90 (about $150.00 U.S.) is actually on the low end of the scale for
    repair of digital cameras. I work at a camera shop part time and most
    digicam repairs we see are over that. (The original selling price of the
    camera doesn't seem to affect repair prices either.)
    The circuit boards are expensive and the labor to replace them is
    frequently extensive. It's just the way things are here in the 21st
    century :(

    --
    Mark Roberts
    Photography and writing

    Mark Roberts, Nov 5, 2004
  4. sensible

    Paul Bartram Guest

    "Mark Roberts" <> wrote

    > The circuit boards are expensive and the labor to replace them is

    frequently extensive. It's just the way things are here in the 21st century
    :(

    I don't know if this is the same today as it was around 1997, but I had a
    Canon videocamera that stopped working when I used it for the first time in
    a couple of months. That also had to have a new board (fitted by the Canon
    Service Centre - it had to be sent to Sydney from Brisbane to get done). It
    cost me $750, and it was only 2 years old. The explanation I was given for
    the breakdown was that the tiny surface-mounted electrolytic capacitors had
    a tendency to leak after a while, destroying the delicate tracings on the
    board. Hardly the purchaser's fault, but we still have to pay!

    As you're a techy, can you say whether this problem has been addressed?

    Paul

    Paul Bartram, Nov 6, 2004
  5. sensible

    sensible Guest

    Mark Roberts <> wrote in message news:<wdUid.264$EE3.184@trndny09>...
    > (sensible) wrote:
    >
    > >Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    > >330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?
    > >
    > >This camera cost me £425, and the Circuit Board had to be replaced by
    > >Pentax UK at a cost of £90.

    > £90 (about $150.00 U.S.) is actually on the low end of the scale for
    > repair of digital cameras. I work at a camera shop part time and most
    > digicam repairs we see are over that. (The original selling price of the
    > camera doesn't seem to affect repair prices either.)
    > The circuit boards are expensive and the labor to replace them is
    > frequently extensive. It's just the way things are here in the 21st
    > century :(

    Thanks Mark....but what about my first question, After only 2 1/2
    years my expensive camera breaks, is this reasonable? I don't think
    so. How do I get Pentax to refund my £90?

    sensible, Nov 6, 2004
  6. sensible

    EF in FLA Guest

    > Thanks Mark....but what about my first question, After only 2 1/2
    > years my expensive camera breaks, is this reasonable?

    That's electronics for you. They can last 20 years or 20 days.

    >How do I get Pentax to refund my £90?

    If it's out of warranty they have no obligation to give you a dime. Do you
    really think they'll pay for every repair on every one of their cameras?
    You wouldn't if it was your business so don't expect them to. If you think
    there is a quality problem then just don't buy Pentax anymore.

    ef

    EF in FLA, Nov 6, 2004
  7. "sensible" <> wrote in message
    > Mark Roberts <> wrote in message

    > > (sensible) wrote:
    > >
    > > >Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    > > >330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?
    > > >
    > > >This camera cost me £425, and the Circuit Board had to be replaced by
    > > >Pentax UK at a cost of £90.

    > > £90 (about $150.00 U.S.) is actually on the low end of the scale for
    > > repair of digital cameras. I work at a camera shop part time and most
    > > digicam repairs we see are over that. (The original selling price of the
    > > camera doesn't seem to affect repair prices either.)
    > > The circuit boards are expensive and the labor to replace them is
    > > frequently extensive. It's just the way things are here in the 21st
    > > century :(

    > Thanks Mark....but what about my first question, After only 2 1/2
    > years my expensive camera breaks, is this reasonable? I don't think
    > so. How do I get Pentax to refund my £90?

    As another post noted that it is out of warranty, you do have the option of
    appealing to Pentax. It cannot do you any harm to draft a professional and
    polite letter expressing your dissatisfaction with their product. I had
    cause to do the exact same thing many years ago with an electronic product
    that was out of warranty but should still function properly. I was
    reimbursed by the manufacturer for my repair costs, you might also receive
    the same treatment. I would definitely give it a try.

    Peter A. Stavrakoglou, Nov 6, 2004
  8. sensible

    steven Guest

    "Paul Bartram" <p.bartram AT OR NEAR optusnet.com> wrote in message

    > "Mark Roberts" <> wrote
    >
    > > The circuit boards are expensive and the labor to replace them is

    > frequently extensive. It's just the way things are here in the 21st

    century
    > :(
    >
    > I don't know if this is the same today as it was around 1997, but I had a
    > Canon videocamera that stopped working when I used it for the first time

    in
    > a couple of months. That also had to have a new board (fitted by the Canon
    > Service Centre - it had to be sent to Sydney from Brisbane to get done).

    It
    > cost me $750, and it was only 2 years old. The explanation I was given for
    > the breakdown was that the tiny surface-mounted electrolytic capacitors

    had
    > a tendency to leak after a while, destroying the delicate tracings on the
    > board. Hardly the purchaser's fault, but we still have to pay!
    >
    > As you're a techy, can you say whether this problem has been addressed?

    IIRC I heard Sony camcorders had this problem with electrolytics, could be
    around 1997. The only thing I know is that they had to be replaced cause
    they were no good. I never heard of PCB damage caused by this, but it's not
    impossible.
    Either way, problems like this should be addressed with top priority. You
    may try charging the customer for the repair, but if it's still under
    warrantee it will cost you a lot of money. Also, bad news spreads fast.
    Chances are that after a few months you don't sell a single camera anymore.
    IMO this issue should have been solved in a few weeks time.

    steven, Nov 6, 2004
  9. sensible

    dylan Guest

    In the UK take a look at
    www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/wirral/support/support1.htm

    and notice the 6 years for some goods !!.
    The Buyers Rights
    Under the Sale of Goods Act you are allowed a reasonable length of time to
    check that the goods comply with the above requirements. This is a very
    short period of time. If the goods do not comply, you are entitled to reject
    them and claim a full refund. Once this acceptance period has passed, you
    may still be able to claim damages for any defects that appear during use up
    to a period of six years, dependant on the type of goods. Damages will
    normally amount to the cost of repairs and any other losses which arise
    directly from the fault.

    dylan, Nov 6, 2004
  10. sensible

    dylan Guest

    taken from http://www.tradingstandards.gov.uk

    Q. I bought a fridge/freezer about eighteen months ago, and the freezer
    section has completely failed. I went back to the shop, but they refused to
    do anything as it was outside the original twelve-month guarantee. What are
    my rights?

    A. If the time limit has expired on the guarantee then you have no claim
    under the guarantee. However, if you can show that the goods were not of
    satisfactory quality at the time of sale i.e. they were not as durable as it
    is reasonable to expect, then you may have a claim against the trader or
    finance company (if applicable) for compensation under the Sale of Goods Act

    dylan, Nov 6, 2004
  11. sensible

    sensible Guest

    "Michael A. Covington" <> wrote in message news:<418c12e2$>...
    > "sensible" <> wrote in message
    > > Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    > > 330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?

    > How heavily is it used? How many pictures per day?

    Michael....not very many, only 1000 or so over 2 1/2 years that's why
    I'm so angry about it....How would you go about trying to get the
    money back? I approached and in effect they
    simply said TOUGH!

    Thanks.

    sensible, Nov 8, 2004
  12. sensible

    YAG-ART Guest

    On 8 Nov 2004 07:37:56 -0800, (sensible) wrote:

    >"Michael A. Covington" <> wrote in message news:<418c12e2$>...
    >> "sensible" <> wrote in message
    >> > Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    >> > 330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?

    >> How heavily is it used? How many pictures per day?

    >Michael....not very many, only 1000 or so over 2 1/2 years that's why
    >I'm so angry about it....How would you go about trying to get the
    >money back? I approached and in effect they
    >simply said TOUGH!

    You have had it 2 1/2 years and you want your money back? It isn't
    going to happen. They may fix it for free, but thats pushing it. If
    you want to pursue it, contact Pentax at thier headquarters.

    YAG-ART, Nov 8, 2004
  13. sensible

    tranch728 Guest

    "YAG-ART" <> wrote in message
    > On 8 Nov 2004 07:37:56 -0800, (sensible) wrote:

    snip<

    > You have had it 2 1/2 years and you want your money back? It isn't
    > going to happen. They may fix it for free, but thats pushing it. If
    > you want to pursue it, contact Pentax at thier headquarters.

    Maybe they'll pay for "part" of the repair? I once had a Nissan
    Pathfinder that blew the transmission at 80K. I wrote Nissan, showed them my
    service records for the vehicle, then politely "asked" if they'd be willing
    to pay "part" of the $3200.00 repair. They paid 1/3 the dealer took 20% more
    off that and I paid the rest.
    Maybe if you ask Pentad nicely they'd do something similar.

    tranch728, Nov 9, 2004
  14. sensible

    sensible Guest

    "tranch728" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "YAG-ART" <> wrote in message
    > > On 8 Nov 2004 07:37:56 -0800, (sensible) wrote:
    > >

    > snip<
    > >
    > > You have had it 2 1/2 years and you want your money back? It isn't
    > > going to happen. They may fix it for free, but thats pushing it. If
    > > you want to pursue it, contact Pentax at thier headquarters.

    > Maybe they'll pay for "part" of the repair? I once had a Nissan
    > Pathfinder that blew the transmission at 80K. I wrote Nissan, showed them my
    > service records for the vehicle, then politely "asked" if they'd be willing
    > to pay "part" of the $3200.00 repair. They paid 1/3 the dealer took 20% more
    > off that and I paid the rest.
    > Maybe if you ask Pentad nicely they'd do something similar.

    I can't find email addresses for the top people at Pentax Japan....can
    anybody help please?

    sensible, Nov 10, 2004
  15. sensible

    Pepys Guest

    For Christ's sake, get over it.

    Sam

    Pepys, Nov 10, 2004
  16. Again, what was the nature of the failure, and is there reason to believe it
    was caused by poor manufacturing, rather than subsequent accident?

    Machines, including cameras, don't work by magic. They have lots of tiny
    parts each of which has a small, but finite, probability of failing. They
    usually come with 1- or 2-year warranties.

    In the case of highly miniaturized machines such as digital cameras, these
    parts are not easy to replace, and it usually takes something like $100
    worth of specialized technician's labour to just get the camera opened up
    and diagnosed, regardless of which part has failed.

    How much would it cost you to buy a comparable camera today, or a working
    secondhand one? I've lost the original message that said what camera this
    was, but usually, a digital camera from 3 years ago can be bought very
    cheaply.

    Michael A. Covington, Nov 10, 2004
  17. sensible

    YAG-ART Guest

    On 10 Nov 2004 04:56:15 -0800, (sensible)
    wrote:

    >"tranch728" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >> "YAG-ART" <> wrote in message
    >> > On 8 Nov 2004 07:37:56 -0800, (sensible) wrote:
    >> >

    >> snip<
    >> >
    >> > You have had it 2 1/2 years and you want your money back? It isn't
    >> > going to happen. They may fix it for free, but thats pushing it. If
    >> > you want to pursue it, contact Pentax at thier headquarters.

    >> Maybe they'll pay for "part" of the repair? I once had a Nissan
    >> Pathfinder that blew the transmission at 80K. I wrote Nissan, showed them my
    >> service records for the vehicle, then politely "asked" if they'd be willing
    >> to pay "part" of the $3200.00 repair. They paid 1/3 the dealer took 20% more
    >> off that and I paid the rest.
    >> Maybe if you ask Pentad nicely they'd do something similar.

    >I can't find email addresses for the top people at Pentax Japan....can
    >anybody help please?

    Fumio Urano
    President and CEO
    Pentax Corporation
    2-36-9 Maeno-cho, Itabashi-ku, Tokyo 174-8639 JAPAN
    Phone: +81 3-3960-5151

    YAG-ART, Nov 10, 2004
  18. sensible

    Big Bill Guest

    On 5 Nov 2004 12:42:28 -0800, (sensible) wrote:

    >Please tell me: Do you think it is reasonable to expect a Pentax Optio
    >330 to last more than 2 1/2 years?
    >
    >This camera cost me £425, and the Circuit Board had to be replaced by
    >Pentax UK at a cost of £90.
    >
    >Thank you

    Depends on your definition of "reasonable."

    Should it last longer? Yes.
    Did Pentax warrant that it would? Definitely not.
    When you bought it, you accepted their deal; the warranty was part of
    the deal. That's life.
    Can you petition for relief? Of course you can. That's life, too. That
    doesn' tmean that Pentax will offer relef, though. They are under no
    obligation to do so.
    You can do what I do: buy from someone else next time. Tell others
    what your complaint is (but don't whine or become a nuisance).
    We live in an imperfect world; things break.

    Bill Funk
    Change "g" to "a"

    Big Bill, Nov 10, 2004
  19. sensible

    pjp Guest

    If you want any hope of some satisfaction I'd suggest to NOT take the lazy
    way out and simply write an email but INSTEAD write a proper letter and post
    it.

    Taking the time to actually write and post a letter seems to make a big
    difference (IMHO) over just doing what everyone else does, e.g. the lazy and
    easily ignored way.

    Everytime I've written I've gotten way more satisfaction than any email
    attempt.

    pjp, Nov 10, 2004