    Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something and if so what?

    Thanks

    Scott
    Scott, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Scott

    JR Guest

    It is a sequel to The Talented Mr. Ripley

    It takes place many years later

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like it

    is

    JR, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Scott

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like

    it is
    > a sequel.
    > Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something and if so what?

    It's a sequel of sorts to The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's based on the 3rd
    book in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith (Talented Mr. Ripley was
    the first). There were 5 books in all. The other three have not been
    adapted (yet).

    The full series was:

    The Talented Mr. Ripley
    Ripley Under Ground
    Ripley's Game
    The Boy Who Followed Ripley
    Ripley Under Water
    Joshua Zyber, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Scott

    jayembee Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:

    >"Scott" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like
    >>it is a sequel. Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something
    >>and if so what?

    >It's a sequel of sorts to The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's based on the 3rd
    >book in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith (Talented Mr. Ripley was
    >the first). There were 5 books in all. The other three have not been
    >adapted (yet).
    >
    >The full series was:
    >
    >The Talented Mr. Ripley
    >Ripley Under Ground
    >Ripley's Game
    >The Boy Who Followed Ripley
    >Ripley Under Water

    Further, both THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY and RIPLEY'S GAME have had
    previous film versions (both out on DVD): the former as PURPLE NOON by
    René Clément, and the latter as THE AMERICAN FRIEND, by Wim Wenders.

    -- jayembee
    jayembee, Jan 20, 2004
  5. jayembee <> wrote:

    >"Joshua Zyber" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"Scott" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Have seen this in the local video store but the back of it reads like
    >>>it is a sequel. Does anyone know if this film is a sequel to something
    >>>and if so what?

    >>It's a sequel of sorts to The Talented Mr. Ripley. It's based on the 3rd
    >>book in the Ripley series by Patricia Highsmith (Talented Mr. Ripley was
    >>the first). There were 5 books in all. The other three have not been
    >>adapted (yet).
    >>
    >>The full series was:
    >>
    >>The Talented Mr. Ripley
    >>Ripley Under Ground
    >>Ripley's Game
    >>The Boy Who Followed Ripley
    >>Ripley Under Water

    >Further, both THE TALENTED MR. RIPLEY and RIPLEY'S GAME have had
    >previous film versions (both out on DVD): the former as PURPLE NOON by
    >René Clément, and the latter as THE AMERICAN FRIEND, by Wim Wenders.
    >
    >-- jayembee

    Further to that, and rather unfortunately, Ripley's Game detracts from
    the book by being set in Italy instead of France, where the 4 sequels
    to Talented were set. There is also another Ripley in the works,
    based on the second book in the series, Ripley Under Ground.

    And as an aside, I'm currently reading Heny James' The Ambassadors,
    upon which the first Ripley book (Talented) was based, and which
    Highsmith makes a sort of homage to in that book.

    PL

    Paul Lefebvre
    plefebvre@*removethis*wwdc.com
    Visit my website!