RIP

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by archierob, May 30, 2004.

  1. archierob

    archierob Guest

    Well my pal a retired TV repair man and also comp enthusiast has put all his
    testers on my main comp and pronounced the motherboard has had a near death
    experience and is not sending a signal to the screen.

    It is a PC Chips 810 LMR. It is an integrated motherboard with on-board,
    well everything. In fairness it has served my son (who plays games and
    downloads bang bang music) and myself well and has done what we asked of
    it - but then again I have had nothing to compare it with.

    So its going to have to be a new motherboard. I know all you keen comp guys
    decry integrated motherboards but as ever money is an issue and I cannot
    spend a fortune.

    QUESTION
    Can you recommend an integrated motherboard to replace this one that will
    cause as little hassle as possible to fit and install and will use the
    present processor/heat sink and all other bits. Obviously a new PC Chips 810
    LMR would be the answer but this one has died after 14 months and would
    expect it to last longer than that.

    All advice really appreciated. Cheers

    ---
    archierob, May 30, 2004

  2. archierob

    Jax Guest

    I think you'll need to specify processor and RAM type.
    Jax, May 30, 2004

  3. archierob

    archierob Guest

    Sorry!

    PC133 SDRAM.

    Athlon Palomino 2000

    ---
    archierob, May 30, 2004
  4. archierob

    colinco Guest

    In article <c9chrp$2tq$>,
    says...
    > Well my pal a retired TV repair man and also comp enthusiast has put all his
    > testers on my main comp and pronounced the motherboard has had a near death
    > experience and is not sending a signal to the screen.
    >
    > It is a PC Chips 810 LMR. It is an integrated motherboard with on-board,
    > well everything. In fairness it has served my son (who plays games and
    > downloads bang bang music) and myself well and has done what we asked of
    > it - but then again I have had nothing to compare it with.

    Has it got a slot for a video card? Have you tried one to see if the
    video signal via a separate card works?
    colinco, May 30, 2004
  5. On Mon, 31 May 2004 08:21:13 +1200, colinco wrote:

    >> It is a PC Chips 810 LMR. It is an integrated motherboard with on-board,

    > Has it got a slot for a video card? Have you tried one to see if the
    > video signal via a separate card works?

    It's PC Chips. The surprise is that it didn't die the day after the
    warranty ended.
    Uncle StoatWarbler, May 30, 2004
  6. archierob wrote:
    > Sorry!
    > PC133 SDRAM.
    > Athlon Palomino 2000

    might be pushing it to still find an SDram mobo...

    but, you can get a DDR mobo for ~$120 and ram for ~$130

    damn near any mobo with intergrated everything will work, I got an
    Asrock k7vm4(or something) for ~$120.
    check out www.pricespy.co.nz

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, May 30, 2004
  7. archierob

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > It's PC Chips. The surprise is that it didn't die the day after the
    > warranty ended.

    12.01am the day after the warranty ended.
    colinco, May 30, 2004
  8. archierob

    steve Guest

    archierob wrote:
    > Well my pal a retired TV repair man and also comp enthusiast has put all his
    > testers on my main comp and pronounced the motherboard has had a near death
    > experience and is not sending a signal to the screen.
    >
    > It is a PC Chips 810 LMR. It is an integrated motherboard with on-board,
    > well everything. In fairness it has served my son (who plays games and
    > downloads bang bang music) and myself well and has done what we asked of
    > it - but then again I have had nothing to compare it with.

    It had a serious disc I/O bottleneck that became painfuly apparent if
    you were low on RAM (and therefore hard drive cache).

    I owned one of these and it was painful to watch it grind away compared
    to other systems with similar CPU speeds.

    Only 256MB of RAM or more seemed to make it usable.

    > So its going to have to be a new motherboard. I know all you keen comp guys
    > decry integrated motherboards but as ever money is an issue and I cannot
    > spend a fortune.

    If you want to re-use your RAM, a cheap motherboard of 2-3 years old
    design should be readily had.

    > QUESTION
    > Can you recommend an integrated motherboard to replace this one that will
    > cause as little hassle as possible to fit and install and will use the
    > present processor/heat sink and all other bits. Obviously a new PC Chips 810
    > LMR would be the answer but this one has died after 14 months and would
    > expect it to last longer than that.

    You DON'T want another one of those.

    Almost any other integrated system board would be better. Pick one.
    steve, May 31, 2004
  9. In article <c9chrp$2tq$>,
    says...
    > Well my pal a retired TV repair man and also comp enthusiast has put all his
    > testers on my main comp and pronounced the motherboard has had a near death
    > experience and is not sending a signal to the screen.
    >
    > It is a PC Chips 810 LMR. It is an integrated motherboard with on-board,
    > well everything. In fairness it has served my son (who plays games and
    > downloads bang bang music) and myself well and has done what we asked of
    > it - but then again I have had nothing to compare it with.
    >
    > So its going to have to be a new motherboard. I know all you keen comp guys
    > decry integrated motherboards but as ever money is an issue and I cannot
    > spend a fortune.
    >
    > QUESTION
    > Can you recommend an integrated motherboard to replace this one that will
    > cause as little hassle as possible to fit and install and will use the
    > present processor/heat sink and all other bits. Obviously a new PC Chips 810
    > LMR would be the answer but this one has died after 14 months and would
    > expect it to last longer than that.

    PC Chips are bargain basement, they were involved in the fake cache scam
    a few years ago and also made unbranded "VX Pro" and similar motherboards
    using imitation chipsets of inferior quality.
    Patrick Dunford, May 31, 2004
  10. > It is a PC Chips 810 LMR. It is an integrated motherboard with on-board,
    > well everything. In fairness it has served my son (who plays games and
    > downloads bang bang music) and myself well and has done what we asked of
    > it - but then again I have had nothing to compare it with.
    >
    > So its going to have to be a new motherboard. I know all you keen comp

    guys
    > decry integrated motherboards but as ever money is an issue and I cannot
    > spend a fortune.
    >
    > QUESTION
    > Can you recommend an integrated motherboard to replace this one that will
    > cause as little hassle as possible to fit and install and will use the
    > present processor/heat sink and all other bits. Obviously a new PC Chips

    810
    > LMR would be the answer but this one has died after 14 months and would
    > expect it to last longer than that.
    >
    > All advice really appreciated. Cheers

    A faulty one got returned under warranty to work the other day. If our
    suppliers give us the same model back, the boss may let it go cheap as we
    can't use it in our new systems. I'll see how much I can get it off him for
    and let you know.

    And for all those who bag PC Chips, they're not all that bad these days.
    I've built countless systems using the M851 and M863, before those it was
    the M825. Very few show any problems. Obviously not meant for true computer
    geeks, but for running office and windows etc they do the job just as well
    as my $400 Abit. The M810 was a bit of a dog, the first models were PC133
    only and the later models were DDR but had no AGP slot.

    Steve
    Stephen Williams, May 31, 2004