RIP v.2 authentication

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by virgil, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. virgil

    virgil Guest

    Alright, who can help with this?

    There seems to be a bug with RIP / md5 authentication on Cisco routers
    and especially between cisco routers and a cisco pix firewall in which,
    once the authentication is configured, routes are not passed between the
    pix and the router.

    Performing a debug yields (invalid authentication) on the router and no
    matter how it is reconfigured, rebooted, etc. the authentication will not
    work.

    But it is intermittent - some times the config does work.

    I did see a post a while back in which a person stated that the proper
    way to do the configuration was as follows:

    1st - configure rip version 2 on router
    2nd - configure md5 authentication on the interface(s)
    3rd - configure the key chain used by rip
    4th - configure the pix

    I did this one night when I was having the problem and it seemed to work;
    however, if the router is rebooted, you have no way of knowing what order
    that is going to become active in. Upon my reboot, the config that had
    been working stopped.

    This is not IOS specific. I have had it happen in my lab, in a lab at
    work and on the Cisco CCIE lab. If anyone can give any advice or more
    specifically, links to resources discussing this issue, I would greatly
    appreciate it.

    Thanks

    --
    Vik