Rip Off Merchants

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Rider, Feb 4, 2005.

  1. Rider

    Rider Guest

    Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry who
    think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.

    I just had someone drop in their computer because it had been rebooting, not
    starting and various other odd things.She then told me it was only a month
    old.I asked if she would prefer to take it back to where she bought it,
    because it would be under warranty and I would have to charge for my time
    (although I was happy to do that if she wanted) Apparently it had been
    "built by a friend in Auckland, who knows what hes doing" She asked me to
    assess the problem so they knew what was wrong before she sent it back ...
    no problem.

    I opened the case and everything had at least a few months dust on it. Not 1
    months dust. Looking at the build dates etc on each component, everything is
    2 or more years old.

    The hard drive is a 1999 Maxtor (which is causing the problems).
    Its a 1.2 Duron (She paid for a 2200 Sempron)
    It has 256Mb PC133 RAM (She paid for 512Mb DDR400)
    It has DVD Rom (She paid for a CD Writer)
    All the other parts are of varying ages but nowhere near new.

    I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of this
    unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 4, 2005

  2. Rider wrote:
    > Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry who
    > think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.
    > I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of this
    > unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.

    unfrtunately this will go on forever... and until they make vigilante
    justice legal, it'll stay that way.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 4, 2005

  3. Rider

    Rider Guest

    > Rider wrote:
    >> Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry
    >> who think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.
    >> I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of
    >> this unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.

    > unfrtunately this will go on forever... and until they make vigilante
    > justice legal, it'll stay that way.

    Hehehe ... the motherboard is also not what she paid for.
    Rider, Feb 4, 2005
  4. Rider

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:10:28 +1300, Rider wrote:

    > "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >> Rider wrote:
    >>> Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry
    >>> who think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.
    >>> I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of
    >>> this unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.

    >> unfrtunately this will go on forever... and until they make vigilante
    >> justice legal, it'll stay that way.

    > Hehehe ... the motherboard is also not what she paid for.

    if you think thats bad.. i was asked to recover data from a failing hard
    drive on a compaq machine which I did ( I got lucky)
    the tech who got me to do the work was then unable to install a new hard
    drive ( he had _no_ idea about updating the bios to take into account
    drives bigger than 32 G either)
    after 3 or 4 days of no success he convinced the client that the whole
    computer was fux0red and to buy a new one
    froggy, Feb 4, 2005
  5. Rider

    froggy Guest

    On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:28:49 +1300, froggy wrote:

    > On Fri, 04 Feb 2005 15:10:28 +1300, Rider wrote:
    >

    >> "Dave - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> unfrtunately this will go on forever... and until they make vigilante
    >>> justice legal, it'll stay that way.

    >> Hehehe ... the motherboard is also not what she paid for.

    > if you think thats bad.. i was asked to recover data from a failing hard
    > drive on a compaq machine which I did ( I got lucky)
    > the tech who got me to do the work was then unable to install a new hard
    > drive ( he had _no_ idea about updating the bios to take into account
    > drives bigger than 32 G either)
    > after 3 or 4 days of no success he convinced the client that the whole
    > computer was fux0red and to buy a new one

    I should mention there was nothing wrong with the machine..
    it was the 'techs' lack of skills that was the problem
    also.. it was the tech selling the comp
    end result.. client paid for his time.. my time.. and the markup on a new
    comp
    tidy lil earner for the 'tech'

    --
    "I'm all for computer dating, but I wouldn't want one to marry my
    sister."
    froggy, Feb 4, 2005
  6. Rider

    thing Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry who
    > think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.
    >
    > I just had someone drop in their computer because it had been rebooting, not
    > starting and various other odd things.She then told me it was only a month
    > old.I asked if she would prefer to take it back to where she bought it,
    > because it would be under warranty and I would have to charge for my time
    > (although I was happy to do that if she wanted) Apparently it had been
    > "built by a friend in Auckland, who knows what hes doing" She asked me to
    > assess the problem so they knew what was wrong before she sent it back ...
    > no problem.
    >
    > I opened the case and everything had at least a few months dust on it. Not 1
    > months dust. Looking at the build dates etc on each component, everything is
    > 2 or more years old.
    >
    > The hard drive is a 1999 Maxtor (which is causing the problems).
    > Its a 1.2 Duron (She paid for a 2200 Sempron)
    > It has 256Mb PC133 RAM (She paid for 512Mb DDR400)
    > It has DVD Rom (She paid for a CD Writer)
    > All the other parts are of varying ages but nowhere near new.
    >
    > I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of this
    > unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.
    >
    > Rider

    I must be missing something.....where does she say she bought it brand new?

    Depends on what she paid and was expecting......

    Its "new" as in new to her.....maybe she asked her friend to get her a
    PC for $x. So that is what the friend did....

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Feb 4, 2005
  7. > I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of this
    > unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.

    Was there a receipt ? Or anything to back up a so-called warranty by
    this person ?

    I'd assume not, because if there is, that brain genius has committed fraud.

    Otherwise, why not mention names ? It's not as if the chappie is going
    to raise their hand and say "oi, that's not fair".
    -=[Waylon Smithers]=-, Feb 4, 2005
  8. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message news:4202fd30$...
    > Rider wrote:
    >> Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry
    >> who think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.
    >>
    >> I just had someone drop in their computer because it had been rebooting,
    >> not starting and various other odd things.She then told me it was only a
    >> month old.I asked if she would prefer to take it back to where she bought
    >> it, because it would be under warranty and I would have to charge for my
    >> time (although I was happy to do that if she wanted) Apparently it had
    >> been "built by a friend in Auckland, who knows what hes doing" She asked
    >> me to assess the problem so they knew what was wrong before she sent it
    >> back ... no problem.
    >>
    >> I opened the case and everything had at least a few months dust on it.
    >> Not 1 months dust. Looking at the build dates etc on each component,
    >> everything is 2 or more years old.
    >>
    >> The hard drive is a 1999 Maxtor (which is causing the problems).
    >> Its a 1.2 Duron (She paid for a 2200 Sempron)
    >> It has 256Mb PC133 RAM (She paid for 512Mb DDR400)
    >> It has DVD Rom (She paid for a CD Writer)
    >> All the other parts are of varying ages but nowhere near new.
    >>
    >> I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of
    >> this unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > I must be missing something.....where does she say she bought it brand
    > new?
    >
    > Depends on what she paid and was expecting......
    >
    > Its "new" as in new to her.....maybe she asked her friend to get her a PC
    > for $x. So that is what the friend did....
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I probably should have put in my opst, that she had been sent the original
    invoices for the equipment she was supposed to have purchased.
    The invoices listed the parts, which arent in her computer.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 6, 2005
  9. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "-=[Waylon Smithers]=-" <lifestyles_choice@springfield_nuclear_plant.com>
    wrote in message news:ctvc3k$d44$...
    >> I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of
    >> this unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.

    > Was there a receipt ? Or anything to back up a so-called warranty by this
    > person ?
    >
    > I'd assume not, because if there is, that brain genius has committed
    > fraud.
    >
    > Otherwise, why not mention names ? It's not as if the chappie is going to
    > raise their hand and say "oi, that's not fair".

    LoL yeah the idiot gave her the original invoices for the components she
    was supposed to have. Maybe he was banking on her not getting anyone else to
    look at it.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 6, 2005
  10. Rider

    thing Guest

    Rider wrote:
    > "thing" <> wrote in message news:4202fd30$...
    >
    >>Rider wrote:
    >>
    >>>Unfortunately there still seem to be rip off merchants in our industry
    >>>who think its ok to dupe unsuspecting people.
    >>>
    >>>I just had someone drop in their computer because it had been rebooting,
    >>>not starting and various other odd things.She then told me it was only a
    >>>month old.I asked if she would prefer to take it back to where she bought
    >>>it, because it would be under warranty and I would have to charge for my
    >>>time (although I was happy to do that if she wanted) Apparently it had
    >>>been "built by a friend in Auckland, who knows what hes doing" She asked
    >>>me to assess the problem so they knew what was wrong before she sent it
    >>>back ... no problem.
    >>>
    >>>I opened the case and everything had at least a few months dust on it.
    >>>Not 1 months dust. Looking at the build dates etc on each component,
    >>>everything is 2 or more years old.
    >>>
    >>>The hard drive is a 1999 Maxtor (which is causing the problems).
    >>> Its a 1.2 Duron (She paid for a 2200 Sempron)
    >>>It has 256Mb PC133 RAM (She paid for 512Mb DDR400)
    >>>It has DVD Rom (She paid for a CD Writer)
    >>>All the other parts are of varying ages but nowhere near new.
    >>>
    >>>I would love to be able to hear the conversation with the 'builder' of
    >>>this unit, when he tries to justify this computers components.
    >>>
    >>>Rider
    >>>

    >>I must be missing something.....where does she say she bought it brand
    >>new?
    >>
    >>Depends on what she paid and was expecting......
    >>
    >>Its "new" as in new to her.....maybe she asked her friend to get her a PC
    >>for $x. So that is what the friend did....
    >>
    >>regards
    >>
    >>Thing
    >>

    > I probably should have put in my opst, that she had been sent the original
    > invoices for the equipment she was supposed to have purchased.
    > The invoices listed the parts, which arent in her computer.
    >
    > Rider

    ah, ok, in which case that is fraud and she should be contacting the
    police IMHO. I mean she has the invoice and the PC, pretty solid evidence.

    regards

    Thing
    thing, Feb 7, 2005
  11. Rider

    Rider Guest

    "thing" <> wrote in message news:42070347$...
    > Rider wrote:
    >> "thing" <> wrote in message

    >>>I must be missing something.....where does she say she bought it brand
    >>>new?
    >>>
    >>>Depends on what she paid and was expecting......
    >>>
    >>>Its "new" as in new to her.....maybe she asked her friend to get her a PC
    >>>for $x. So that is what the friend did....
    >>>
    >>>regards
    >>>
    >>>Thing
    >>>

    >> I probably should have put in my opst, that she had been sent the
    >> original invoices for the equipment she was supposed to have purchased.
    >> The invoices listed the parts, which arent in her computer.
    >>
    >> Rider
    >>

    > ah, ok, in which case that is fraud and she should be contacting the
    > police IMHO. I mean she has the invoice and the PC, pretty solid evidence.
    >
    > regards
    >
    > Thing

    I'd agree, hard though when the guy was supposed to be a 'family friend'.
    What a wanker ... hope it was worth getting new parts for his pc, to rip off
    a freind.

    Rider
    Rider, Feb 8, 2005