    that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

    http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_Drops_HD_DVD/1477

    Simon Gronow, Feb 19, 2008

  2. Simon Gronow

    Greg Guest

    I suprised that Sony finaly won. Even though there product was more
    expensive than HD DVD. Damn if they were going to loose again.

    Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
    technology.

    "Simon Gronow" <> wrote in message
    > Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    > longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    > effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >
    > In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    > decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
    > emphasized that it will continue to provide full product support and
    > after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

    All those XBOX 360 users who got the HD DVD addon. I hope Microsoft will
    now release a Blueray player for the XBOX 360. Or include one bundled in the
    next model.

    Greg, Feb 19, 2008

  3. Simon Gronow

    Dummy Guest

    On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <> wrote:
    > Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    > longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    > effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >
    > In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    > decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
    > that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    > service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >
    > http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_D...

    So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    ===
    = DUG.
    ===

    Dummy, Feb 19, 2008
  4. "Dummy" <> wrote in message
    > On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <> wrote:
    >> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    >> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    >> effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >>
    >> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
    >> emphasized
    >> that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    >> service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >>
    >> http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_D...

    > So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?
    >
    > ===
    > = DUG.
    > ===

    As in Standard DVD Players? Why? Do you want them to also phase out standard
    dvd's and that only Blu-Ray disks will be able to be played(not HD-DVD, not
    SD DVD, just BR),and that you will have to buy a new BR player to be able to
    watch them with?

    wotarealsmash, Feb 19, 2008
  5. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:19:24 -0800 (PST), Dummy
    <> wrote:

    >On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <> wrote:
    >> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    >> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    >> effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >>
    >> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
    >> that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    >> service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >>
    >> http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_D...

    >So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
    players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.

    DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
    players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
    on Blu-Ray only.

    The next big thing will be HVD or memory card recorders which have
    been out for about a year now. These record to memory cards and with
    4Gb memory cards down to about $30 and getting cheaper then you can
    see what could well happen. 8Gb and 16Gb memory cards are available
    with even higher capacity cards on the way.

    SalesMart.com.au
    Perth, Western Australia
    http://www.salesmart.com.au
    Email Contact info on the above site.

    SalesMart.com.au, Feb 19, 2008
  6. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:59:08 +1100, "Greg"
    <> wrote:

    >I suprised that Sony finaly won. Even though there product was more
    >expensive than HD DVD. Damn if they were going to loose again.

    I'm not surprised at all. All the major hardware developers were going
    Blu-Ray with players and burners. Blu-Ray burners got out to 4x/6x
    with Toshiba HD-DVD burner stuck at 1x and to this day I never saw a
    single supplier in this country with a HD-DVD burner.

    >Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
    >technology.

    Lessons were leant by some and not by others it would seem.

    >"Simon Gronow" <> wrote in message
    >> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    >> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    >> effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >>
    >> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
    >> emphasized that it will continue to provide full product support and
    >> after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.

    >All those XBOX 360 users who got the HD DVD addon. I hope Microsoft will
    >now release a Blueray player for the XBOX 360. Or include one bundled in the
    >next model.

    Blu-Ray was always going to win with many companies backing it.

    SalesMart.com.au, Feb 19, 2008
  7. Simon Gronow

    GDS Guest

    "Greg" <> wrote in message

    > Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
    > technology.

    Umm, BETA is and has always been superior to VHS, what are you trying to
    say?

    GDS, Feb 19, 2008
  8. Simon Gronow

    GDS Guest

    "GDS" <> wrote in message

    > "Greg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
    >> technology.

    > Umm, BETA is and has always been superior to VHS, what are you trying to
    > say?

    Sorry, just re-read you post, and yes I'm an idiot :\

    GDS, Feb 19, 2008

  9. >>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    > Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
    > players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.
    >
    > DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
    > players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
    > on Blu-Ray only.

    2 Years??? So in 2010, SD, will, err, be finished??? And that Blu-Ray, will
    be the only format available? What about all those people who have a decent
    dvd collection(Standard DVD) already? Are you then supposed to replace your
    500 + titles again??? What about titles that are OOP, and that won't get
    released onto Blu-Ray?

    wotarealsmash, Feb 19, 2008
  10. Simon Gronow

    Terry Wrist Guest

    Umm weren't you listening. You can play DVDs on a Blu-Ray player. There is
    no reason to continue making DVD players as you can play your DVDs on
    Blu_Ray player and you actually get a better picture as it is upscaled to
    1080i/p depending on the player.
    You once coult buy VCD players they are gone but guess what? You can still
    play VCDs on DVD players.

    Too many any Blu-Ray knockers out there hope you enjoy your HD-DVD

    Terry Wrist, Feb 19, 2008
  11. Simon Gronow

    bill Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:43:53 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    (SalesMart.com.au) wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:19:24 -0800 (PST), Dummy
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>On Feb 19, 6:36 pm, "Simon Gronow" <> wrote:
    >>> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    >>> longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    >>> effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >>>
    >>> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >>> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
    >>> that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    >>> service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >>>
    >>> http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_D...

    >>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    >Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
    >players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.

    Keep dreaming.

    Blu-ray is going nowhere and is likely to end up as a niche product.
    It's basically a dead end for Sony et al as hardly anyone is going to
    shell out the big bucks to go HD when DVD is more than sufficient.

    >DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
    >players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
    >on Blu-Ray only.

    Do you honestly think Joe sixpack is going to fork out over $1K+ for a
    new HD TV and spent a small fortune updating all his SD DVD titles to
    Blu-ray ones?

    Not going to happen. DVD will be around for a long time yet.

    >The next big thing will be HVD or memory card recorders which have
    >been out for about a year now.

    I doubt it. Video on demand and streaming services will be the way of
    the future. Microsoft knows this and designed the Xbox 360 with this
    in mind.

    >4Gb memory cards down to about $30 and getting cheaper then you can
    >see what could well happen. 8Gb and 16Gb memory cards are available
    >with even higher capacity cards on the way.

    Flash memory technology is cost prohibitive at the higher capacity
    level and suffers serious latency issues with random access transfers.
    I don't see such technology becoming truly versatile until 2010 or
    later.

    bill, Feb 19, 2008
  12. Simon Gronow

    bill Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:36:37 +1100, "Simon Gronow" <>
    wrote:

    >Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    >longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    >effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >
    >In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
    >that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    >service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >

    >http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_Drops_HD_DVD/1477

    There was no HD "war" in the first place. Both formats are a dead end.
    Blu-ray is a sinking ship which everyone will avoid.

    bill, Feb 19, 2008
  13. Simon Gronow

    David Z Guest

    Is anyone else reminded of the DVD vs DIVX wars of 1997-1999? It took about
    2 years for DVD to prevail as the winner...

    David Z, Feb 19, 2008
  14. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 21:30:35 +1030, "GDS" <> wrote:

    >"Greg" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Unlike the old days BETA vs VHS where Sony lost out to a inferior
    >> technology.

    >Umm, BETA is and has always been superior to VHS, what are you trying to
    >say?

    Obviously something that only you were unable to comprehend. I suggest
    that you read it again a bit more carefully.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Feb 19, 2008
  15. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:06:20 +1100, bill <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 10:43:53 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    >(SalesMart.com.au) wrote:
    >
    >>On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 02:19:24 -0800 (PST), Dummy
    >><> wrote:

    >>>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    >>Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
    >>players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.

    >Keep dreaming.

    Not dreaming at all. Leading into Christmas 1.2 millions PS3's were
    sold over in the US. The Wii though is outselling everyone for the
    console wars.

    Samsung is selling squillions of Blu-Ray players as are Sharp, Sony
    and Panaosnic. Wait until the cheaper brands start mass producing
    cheap budget Blu-Ray players which is what happened with DVD.

    When DVD first came out it was as expensive as hell. Then we saw the
    cheaper DVD players hit the market and prices plunged.

    My first DVD player was the PS2 games console. Did me nicely from 1999
    to June of 2002 when I bought the Viewmaster VM928 which I still have
    to this day. Back then I paid about $250 for the VM928 which was
    cheaper than the then PS2 at $1099 as I bought a game with it.

    Back then people like myself were willing to pay $1000 for their first
    DVD player but when DVD players came under $300 it took off very
    quickly. The same will happen with Blu-Ray.

    Going back a few years I saw the same comments with VHS that DVD was
    too expensive and VHS was good enough. It happens with each new format
    where on release they a re expensive but over time become affordable.

    HDTV sets have plunged to the affordable levels. When they first came
    out the HDTV sets were well over $10,000 for a 40". Today you can get
    a 60" at half that and 40" down at about $1200 to $1500. They'll get
    even cheaper.

    Won't be too long before we see Blu-Ray/DVD recorders.
    Panasonic already has one overseas.

    >Blu-ray is going nowhere and is likely to end up as a niche product.
    >It's basically a dead end for Sony et al as hardly anyone is going to
    >shell out the big bucks to go HD when DVD is more than sufficient.

    Not what the sales figures are showing with a big jump in sales of
    Blu-Ray hardware players around the globe.

    >>DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
    >>players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
    >>on Blu-Ray only.

    >Do you honestly think Joe sixpack is going to fork out over $1K+ for a
    >new HD TV and spent a small fortune updating all his SD DVD titles to
    >Blu-ray ones?

    Its already happening. People will keep their older DVD to play on the
    new hardware especially with up conversion capabilities.

    When I went from VHS to DVD I didn't throw out my VHS collection.
    I still have many videos on VHS and a VCR which hardly gets used these
    days.

    >Not going to happen. DVD will be around for a long time yet.

    Yes DVD will be around for years. Never said it wouldn't.
    This is what was said.

    >>>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    >>Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
    >>players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.

    The hardware Blu-Ray players will eventially see the end of a DVD only
    player. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.

    DVD media will be around for years but the hardware side of things
    will change.

    Just as CDR burners disappeared I expect DVD burners to do the same.
    Future will be Blu-Ray burners which also burn DVD and CD's.

    No money in sales of DVD burners any more which was the case with CDR
    burners before they disappeared.

    Blu-Ray burners will be sub $300 by about June to August of this year
    and sub $200 or lower by years end. The reason why this will happen is
    that competition drives down the prices. ASUS and Sony have the new
    BD-ROM drives out which has seen Pioneer drop the prices on the
    Pioneer BDC-S02BK drives. As more bring out hardware burners the
    prices will continue to fall.

    The Pioneer BDC-S02BK also burns DVD media.

    >>The next big thing will be HVD or memory card recorders which have
    >>been out for about a year now.

    >I doubt it. Video on demand and streaming services will be the way of
    >the future.

    The video still has to be stored on something if the user wants to
    keep it.

    >Microsoft knows this and designed the Xbox 360 with this
    >in mind.

    They are the ones that backed the wrong format. I think the 360 is in
    big trouble because of this rather bad blunder.

    >>4Gb memory cards down to about $30 and getting cheaper then you can
    >>see what could well happen. 8Gb and 16Gb memory cards are available
    >>with even higher capacity cards on the way.

    >Flash memory technology is cost prohibitive at the higher capacity
    >level and suffers serious latency issues with random access transfers.
    >I don't see such technology becoming truly versatile until 2010 or
    >later.

    4Gb a month or so ago was expensive but as of Monday of this week
    there has been a huge price drop and I mean a massive one on all forms
    wether its SD, Flash, xD etc...

    Then there is the new range of hard drives with no moving parts.
    Highly expensive at the moment but over time they'll get cheaper and
    cheaper. These drives are so much faster than current hard drives are.
    Some of the latest model Laptops have these new drives in them.

    SalesMart.com.au, Feb 19, 2008
  16. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:10:33 +1100, bill <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:36:37 +1100, "Simon Gronow" <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it will no
    >>longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and recorders,
    >>effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >>
    >>In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >>decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba emphasized
    >>that it will continue to provide full product support and after-sales
    >>service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >>

    >>http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Toshiba/Toshiba_Officially_Drops_HD_DVD/1477
    >>

    >There was no HD "war" in the first place. Both formats are a dead end.
    >Blu-ray is a sinking ship which everyone will avoid.

    Where have you been ?

    http://www.ubergizmo.com/15/archive...rket_share_in_the_second_week_of_january.html

    No doubt at one point there were some saying DVD will never take off.
    Seen it all before.

    SalesMart.com.au, Feb 19, 2008
  17. SalesMart.com.au wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 23:10:33 +1100, bill <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 19:36:37 +1100, "Simon Gronow"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Following several days of rumors, Toshiba has confirmed that it
    >>> will no longer develop, manufacture and market HD DVD players and
    >>> recorders, effectively ending the high-def format war.
    >>>
    >>> In a just-issued press release, the company said that it reached the
    >>> decision following "recent major changes in the market." Toshiba
    >>> emphasized that it will continue to provide full product support
    >>> and after-sales service for all owners of Toshiba HD DVD products.
    >>>

    >> There was no HD "war" in the first place. Both formats are a dead
    >> end. Blu-ray is a sinking ship which everyone will avoid.

    Yep, everyone seems to be avoiding Blu-Ray alright!

    Stephen O'Connell, Feb 19, 2008
  18. On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:14:35 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:

    >Is anyone else reminded of the DVD vs DIVX wars of 1997-1999? It took about
    >2 years for DVD to prevail as the winner...

    DivX is a codec and very popular all around the globe.

    September 29, 1997 --- Pioneer DVR-S101 a 3.95Gb Burner and was a SCSI
    drive. Thank fully this format did not last. These were priced at
    $8000+

    It wasn't until August 23, 2001 we saw the first Pioneer DVR-103/A03
    drives which were the first 4.7Gb burners. These were priced at about
    $2500.

    September 17, 2002 saw the Pioneer DVR-104/A04 drives which were about
    $700 and this was about the time it started to take off. Thi swas the
    time I bought my first DVD burner and not long after the A05 and then
    bought each Pioneer model after that.

    DivX is a codec.
    http://www.divx.com

    There was the Ricoh DVD+RW drives which first came out about 2002/03
    and then a DVD+R and DVD+RW drives and combo drives a bit later with
    Sony and the others soon followed.

    DVD players didn't get affordable until about mid 2002.

    Most players/recorders or USB2 player devices have DivX support these
    days.

    SalesMart.com.au, Feb 19, 2008
  19. Simon Gronow

    kaboom Guest

    On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 14:50:20 GMT, sales@___Email_Address_on_Web_site
    (SalesMart.com.au) wrote:

    >On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 12:14:35 GMT, "David Z" <> wrote:
    >
    >>Is anyone else reminded of the DVD vs DIVX wars of 1997-1999? It took about
    >>2 years for DVD to prevail as the winner...

    >DivX is a codec and very popular all around the globe.

    **This DIVX:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX_(Digital_Video_Express)

    kaboom, Feb 19, 2008
  20. Simon Gronow

    GMAN Guest

    In article <-privat.org>, "wotarealsmash" <> wrote:

    >>>So how long before they stop making old-formate DVD players?

    >> Blu-Ray will only knock off DVD when it gets down to sub $100 for the
    >> players. Blu-Ray players also play DVD and CD media.
    >>
    >> DVD will be around for the next couple of years but when the Blu-Ray
    >> players start to outsell DVD players then you'll see movies coming out
    >> on Blu-Ray only.

    >2 Years??? So in 2010, SD, will, err, be finished??? And that Blu-Ray, will
    >be the only format available? What about all those people who have a decent
    >dvd collection(Standard DVD) already? Are you then supposed to replace your
    >500 + titles again??? What about titles that are OOP, and that won't get
    >released onto Blu-Ray?

    Why? Those 500+ DVD's will play just fine in their new blu ray player.

    GMAN, Feb 19, 2008