    cheers

    Andy

    , Dec 28, 2003

  2. Jerry Guest

    Andy,

    If you use static route instead, will it works (ping, etc.)?

    Usually you can do a "show frame-relay pvc" or "show frame-relay lmi" to
    see the FR info, and troubleshoot from that point (L2).

    Here is a cisco document I found:
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094a3c.shtml

    jerry

    Jerry, Dec 28, 2003

  3. PES Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have two routers connected back to back and they are running frame-relay
    > encap. Both Ser0 Interfaces are up and I configured dlci100.
    > If I check the RIP, they can see each other.
    >
    > However, my problem is that I can neither ping or telnet the ip, which
    > I configured on the specific ser0 interfaces. I can't even ping them from
    > the local router itself.
    >
    > Does someone has a Idea what could be the problem ?

    The two serial interfaces should see each other without any routing protocol
    assuming that they are on a common subnet. My guess would be that you did
    not configure one end as frame-relay intf-type dce. If you post your
    configs, we may be able to help you further.

    PES, Dec 28, 2003
  4. Guest

    > The two serial interfaces should see each other without any routing protocol
    > assuming that they are on a common subnet. My guess would be that you did
    > not configure one end as frame-relay intf-type dce. If you post your
    > configs, we may be able to help you further.

    One of them is configured as DCE but somehow I thin that the Frame-Relay
    config is the problem, as I can't even ping the IP locally. I already tried
    a debug icmp but it gives me back nothing.

    Here's the config :

    Roter A :

    interface Serial0
    ip address 192.168.1.3
    encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    no logging event subif-link-status
    loopback
    no keepalive
    no fair-queue
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 100
    frame-relay intf-type dce
    !

    Router B :

    interface Serial0
    ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
    encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    loopback
    no keepalive
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 100
    !

    That's it.
    I configured on both routers also a loopback0 int with a IP that I can ping
    fine, so I don't know why I can't even ping the Serial0 IP locally.

    cheers

    Andy

    , Dec 28, 2003
  5. Guest

    > If you use static route instead, will it works (ping, etc.)?
    >
    > Usually you can do a "show frame-relay pvc" or "show frame-relay lmi" to
    > see the FR info, and troubleshoot from that point (L2).
    >
    > Here is a cisco document I found:
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080094a3c.shtml

    To be honest I didn't try static routing but the major problem is, at least i
    think it is, is that I can't even ping the Ser0 locally.

    However, I'll take a look at the link you provided. Thanks for the help !

    cheers

    Andy

    , Dec 28, 2003
  6. Steinar Haug Guest

    []

    | One of them is configured as DCE but somehow I thin that the Frame-Relay
    | config is the problem, as I can't even ping the IP locally. I already tried
    | a debug icmp but it gives me back nothing.
    |
    | Here's the config :
    |
    | Roter A :
    |
    | interface Serial0
    | ip address 192.168.1.3

    Mask?

    | encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    | no logging event subif-link-status
    | loopback
    | no keepalive
    | no fair-queue
    | frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 100
    | frame-relay intf-type dce
    | !
    |
    | Router B :
    |
    | interface Serial0
    | ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
    | encapsulation frame-relay IETF
    | loopback
    | no keepalive
    | frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 100

    You've misunderstood the "frame-relay map" configuration. You need to
    map the IP address(es) at the *other end* of the FR PVC(s). Thus you
    would typically have

    Router A:
    ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 100

    Router B:
    ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
    frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 100

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Dec 28, 2003
  7. Guest

    > Mask?

    Oops... it was somehow cutted in the paste proccess. Tha mask is also /24

    > You've misunderstood the "frame-relay map" configuration. You need to
    > map the IP address(es) at the *other end* of the FR PVC(s).

    Oh, well.. that would explain something. ;-)
    Thanks again for your help. I'll try it and let you know the result. :)

    cheers

    Andy

    , Dec 28, 2003
  8. Guest

    > You've misunderstood the "frame-relay map" configuration. You need to
    > map the IP address(es) at the *other end* of the FR PVC(s).

    I changed it accordingly but I'm still not able to ping the local
    Serial0.

    I ran out of ideas... :-(

    Here's the whole config :

    http://www.creativez.de/files/config.txt

    Maybe you can see something that i don't. :)

    cheers

    Andy

    , Dec 28, 2003
  9. Steinar Haug Guest

    []

    | > You've misunderstood the "frame-relay map" configuration. You need to
    | > map the IP address(es) at the *other end* of the FR PVC(s).
    |
    | I changed it accordingly but I'm still not able to ping the local
    | Serial0.
    |
    | I ran out of ideas... :-(
    |
    | Here's the whole config :
    |
    | http://www.creativez.de/files/config.txt
    |
    | Maybe you can see something that i don't. :)

    The router on the DCE end of the cable needs to have a "clock rate"
    statement.

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Dec 28, 2003
  10. Hansang Bae Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > You've misunderstood the "frame-relay map" configuration. You need to
    > map the IP address(es) at the *other end* of the FR PVC(s). Thus you
    > would typically have
    > Router A:
    > ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0
    > frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 100
    > Router B:
    > ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
    > frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 100

    If he wants to ping his *local* interface, he'll need a frame map
    statement for his own interface as well.

    --

    hsb

    Hansang Bae, Dec 28, 2003
  11. Guest

    Thanks to all, especially to Steiner Haug and hsb.
    Problem is solved.
    After I added the clock rate and included the map statement also locally it
    now works perfect.

    :)

    cheers

    Andy

    , Dec 28, 2003
  12. Steinar Haug Guest

    [Hansang Bae]

    | > You've misunderstood the "frame-relay map" configuration. You need to
    | > map the IP address(es) at the *other end* of the FR PVC(s). Thus you
    | > would typically have
    | > Router A:
    | > ip address 192.168.1.3 255.255.255.0
    | > frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.2 100
    | > Router B:
    | > ip address 192.168.1.2 255.255.255.0
    | > frame-relay map ip 192.168.1.3 100
    |

    | If he wants to ping his *local* interface, he'll need a frame map
    | statement for his own interface as well.

    Good point.

    In such back-to-back configurations I usually start with HDLC encap,
    just to verify I can get it to work (which means DCE/DTE and clock
    rate is okay). After getting HDLC back-to-back to work, FR is usually
    a piece of cake).

    Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting,

    Steinar Haug, Dec 28, 2003