    menus?

    Thanks.

    , Oct 6, 2003

  2. Mimic Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Our local library disabled right clicking in a few programs on their
    > computers (all Win2K). Now the contextual menus are not available when
    > right clicking the Desktop's Start button, or on a file name while in
    > Windows Explorer. The librarian claimed that that was done to prevent
    > users from hacking their computers. Is this a valid reason? How can an
    > user hack a computer with right clicking that he cannot do otherwise?
    >
    > In the Google newsgroup archive there are a few posters wanting to
    > disable right clicking the Start button to prevent an user from opening
    > Windows Explorer that way. Why is that a concern? With right clicking
    > disabled, an user can still open Windows Explorer by the Start/Programs
    > route. What am I missing here?
    >
    > A related question. When I right click on the Start buttons on different
    > computers (all running Win2K), the contextual menus have different
    > options listed. How can I customize or control what appear in these
    > menus?
    >
    > Thanks.

    theres many many ways to hack a computer, at myold work they did the same
    thing, as well as a multitude of other "security" implimentations. All it
    took was ms word, a hyperlink and edit.com, seconds later i had rooted the
    server.

    --
    Mimic

    and those that dont."
    "C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot. C++ makes it harder, but
    when you do, it blows away your whole leg"

    Mimic, Oct 6, 2003

  3. al Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Our local library disabled right clicking in a few programs on their
    > computers (all Win2K). Now the contextual menus are not available when
    > right clicking the Desktop's Start button, or on a file name while in
    > Windows Explorer. The librarian claimed that that was done to prevent
    > users from hacking their computers. Is this a valid reason? How can an
    > user hack a computer with right clicking that he cannot do otherwise?
    >
    > In the Google newsgroup archive there are a few posters wanting to
    > disable right clicking the Start button to prevent an user from opening
    > Windows Explorer that way. Why is that a concern? With right clicking
    > disabled, an user can still open Windows Explorer by the Start/Programs
    > route. What am I missing here?
    >
    > A related question. When I right click on the Start buttons on different
    > computers (all running Win2K), the contextual menus have different
    > options listed. How can I customize or control what appear in these
    > menus?
    >
    > Thanks.

    It's just one of those commonly used policies like disabling Control Panel.
    There's no "right-click" hack per-say around, but you can do things by right
    clicking that might not be desirable to the system admin. At the end of the
    day he/she must ensure in a library that anyone using the machine can only
    use it to do the bare minimum it's designed for and nothing else (standard
    practice - principle of least privilege).

    al, Oct 6, 2003
  4. Leythos Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    [snip]
    > theres many many ways to hack a computer, at myold work they did the same
    > thing, as well as a multitude of other "security" implimentations. All it
    > took was ms word, a hyperlink and edit.com, seconds later i had rooted the
    > server.

    In the days of MS Word, when we used Windows NT 3.51 and 4, you could
    open system information (from help/about) and open a command prompt from
    there - use to be really funny to show corporate IT about that one.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    Leythos, Oct 6, 2003
  5. It is another way for users to go to places they should not. For instance you can use
    the right click menu on the desktop to create a new shortcut and then use browse to
    view Explorer or even Network Places which may be unavailable via normal means due to
    Group Policy restrictions. If the user does not need the context menu to do their
    work then I think it makes sense to disable it in places like a library. Ultimately
    the strategy of hiding items will lose out if ntfs/share permissions are too
    permissive. It is a decision to make that balances security and convenience. I am not
    sure where to make the start menu context changes - somewhere in the registry for
    sure. Try searching Google web and groups for "start context menu". --- Steve

    Steven L Umbach, Oct 6, 2003
  6. Mimic Guest

    "Leythos" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > [snip]
    > > theres many many ways to hack a computer, at myold work they did the

    same
    > > thing, as well as a multitude of other "security" implimentations. All

    it
    > > took was ms word, a hyperlink and edit.com, seconds later i had rooted

    the
    > > server.

    > In the days of MS Word, when we used Windows NT 3.51 and 4, you could
    > open system information (from help/about) and open a command prompt from
    > there - use to be really funny to show corporate IT about that one.

    > (Remove 999 to reply to me)

    you can still do it through word by inserting a hyperlink to cmd.exe /
    command.com

    Mimic, Oct 6, 2003
  7. Guest

    al wrote:

    > <> wrote in message news:...
    > > Our local library disabled right clicking in a few programs on their
    > > computers (all Win2K). Now the contextual menus are not available when
    > > right clicking the Desktop's Start button, or on a file name while in
    > > Windows Explorer. The librarian claimed that that was done to prevent
    > > users from hacking their computers. Is this a valid reason? How can an
    > > user hack a computer with right clicking that he cannot do otherwise?
    > >
    > > In the Google newsgroup archive there are a few posters wanting to
    > > disable right clicking the Start button to prevent an user from opening
    > > Windows Explorer that way. Why is that a concern? With right clicking
    > > disabled, an user can still open Windows Explorer by the Start/Programs
    > > route. What am I missing here?
    > >
    > > A related question. When I right click on the Start buttons on different
    > > computers (all running Win2K), the contextual menus have different
    > > options listed. How can I customize or control what appear in these
    > > menus?
    > >
    > > Thanks.

    > It's just one of those commonly used policies like disabling Control Panel.
    > There's no "right-click" hack per-say around, but you can do things by right
    > clicking that might not be desirable to the system admin.

    What kind of things are you referring to? Specifically, with right
    clicking the Start button. Not trying to learn how to upset an admin,
    but really am curious.

    At the end of the
    > day he/she must ensure in a library that anyone using the machine can only
    > use it to do the bare minimum it's designed for and nothing else (standard
    > practice - principle of least privilege).

    Agreed with the intent. In many ways, I wish there are machines shipped
    with that bare minimum configuration. It would be a great way to
    introduce a computer to an absolute novice.

    However, is it necessary to disable a complete contextual menu? Can the
    admin remove the problematic options from the menu and still make it
    available?

    , Oct 7, 2003
  8. Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > you can still do it through word by inserting a hyperlink to cmd.exe /
    > command.com

    Or with a simple >shell "cmd.exe"< as direct VBA command, or by
    inserting an Object of cmd.exe, or ...

    VB.
    --
    X-Pie Software GmbH
    Postfach 1540, 88334 Bad Waldsee

    Volker Birk, Oct 7, 2003
  9. Mimic Guest

    "Volker Birk" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > > you can still do it through word by inserting a hyperlink to cmd.exe /
    > > command.com

    > Or with a simple >shell "cmd.exe"< as direct VBA command, or by
    > inserting an Object of cmd.exe, or ...
    >
    > VB.
    > --

    No, continue, or what... ?

    Mimic, Oct 7, 2003
  10. Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > No, continue, or what... ?

    Or by File Open and creating a shortcut in the File Open dialog,
    or by inserting field { DDE "cmd.exe" "f*ck" }, and pressing F9,
    or by ...

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Oct 7, 2003
  11. Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security wrote:
    > When I right click on the Start buttons on different
    > computers (all running Win2K), the contextual menus have different
    > options listed. How can I customize or control what appear in these
    > menus?

    This menu is a derivate of the context menu for folders, so
    customizing that will help.

    Perhaps reading documentation on http://msdn.microsoft.com would
    be a good idea.

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Oct 7, 2003
  12. Mimic Guest

    > In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > > No, continue, or what... ?

    > Or by File Open and creating a shortcut in the File Open dialog,
    > or by inserting field { DDE "cmd.exe" "f*ck" }, and pressing F9,
    > or by ...
    >
    > VB.

    yes continue....

    Mimic, Oct 8, 2003
  13. Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    >> Or by File Open and creating a shortcut in the File Open dialog,
    >> or by inserting field { DDE "cmd.exe" "f*ck" }, and pressing F9,
    >> or by ...

    > yes continue....

    Hm... perhaps you could continue yourself?

    File Save & shortcut, File Save As Webpage & Shortcut,
    { DDEAUTO "cmd.exe" "f*ck" } are easy now.

    File Print, Print in file, and shortcut is obvious.
    Also all other file dialogs are clear, some of them
    reachable in the Insert menu, some at other places.

    Driving ActiveX Controls with the Controls Toolbar, and using
    their possibilities is also not so difficult.

    I'm sure, if you're searching for other possibilities,
    you'll find them.

    Enough?

    I can say, I never found an internet cafe with Windows boxes
    wich resisted, did not matter what "security system" they
    had, because that game you can play also without Office -
    with that it is more easy of course.

    I was amused by the fact that the Museum for Communications
    in Berlin (formerly known as "Post Museum") used Windows as
    kiosk system with IE in kiosk mode. The trackpad and the one
    and single button (no keyboard) where enough to start
    processes ;-) They had network on that information terminals,
    and where using a site (and that single site) from their
    supporting company...

    Of course I did not damage anything. I just startet a SETUP
    for installing more software which then showed it's entry
    dialog, and let the terminal alone...

    VB.

    Volker Birk, Oct 8, 2003
  14. Mimic Guest

    > In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    > >> Or by File Open and creating a shortcut in the File Open dialog,
    > >> or by inserting field { DDE "cmd.exe" "f*ck" }, and pressing F9,
    > >> or by ...

    > > yes continue....

    > Hm... perhaps you could continue yourself?
    >
    > File Save & shortcut, File Save As Webpage & Shortcut,
    > { DDEAUTO "cmd.exe" "f*ck" } are easy now.
    >
    > File Print, Print in file, and shortcut is obvious.
    > Also all other file dialogs are clear, some of them
    > reachable in the Insert menu, some at other places.
    >
    > Driving ActiveX Controls with the Controls Toolbar, and using
    > their possibilities is also not so difficult.
    >
    > I'm sure, if you're searching for other possibilities,
    > you'll find them.
    >
    > Enough?
    >
    > I can say, I never found an internet cafe with Windows boxes
    > wich resisted, did not matter what "security system" they
    > had, because that game you can play also without Office -
    > with that it is more easy of course.
    >
    > I was amused by the fact that the Museum for Communications
    > in Berlin (formerly known as "Post Museum") used Windows as
    > kiosk system with IE in kiosk mode. The trackpad and the one
    > and single button (no keyboard) where enough to start
    > processes ;-) They had network on that information terminals,
    > and where using a site (and that single site) from their
    > supporting company...
    >
    > Of course I did not damage anything. I just startet a SETUP
    > for installing more software which then showed it's entry
    > dialog, and let the terminal alone...
    >
    > VB.

    You know, you just seem to be trolling now, everyone seems to see it also,
    thats why no one cept me is respnding to you, so i guess if i stop youll die
    soon enough.

    Mimic, Oct 8, 2003
  15. Randell D. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Our local library disabled right clicking in a few programs on their
    > computers (all Win2K). Now the contextual menus are not available when
    > right clicking the Desktop's Start button, or on a file name while in
    > Windows Explorer. The librarian claimed that that was done to prevent
    > users from hacking their computers. Is this a valid reason? How can an
    > user hack a computer with right clicking that he cannot do otherwise?
    >
    > In the Google newsgroup archive there are a few posters wanting to
    > disable right clicking the Start button to prevent an user from opening
    > Windows Explorer that way. Why is that a concern? With right clicking
    > disabled, an user can still open Windows Explorer by the Start/Programs
    > route. What am I missing here?
    >
    > A related question. When I right click on the Start buttons on different
    > computers (all running Win2K), the contextual menus have different
    > options listed. How can I customize or control what appear in these
    > menus?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I don't know Win2K but I worked a six month contract at a bank supporting
    HPUX - Our NT based clients had alot of 'features' disabled... including the
    'RUN' option on the Start menu, and the DOS option... Someone showed me
    something I would never have thought of before - They did a right mouse
    button on the desktop and entered the word "command" and up popped a DOS
    session allowing me to install/configure a local Apache server with PHP...
    Maybe this is (one of the reasons) why the right mouse button is disabled on
    your clients machine...

    Randell D., Oct 9, 2003
  16. Volker Birk Guest

    In alt.computer.security Mimic <> wrote:
    [full quote and flame]

    Forget that, baby.

    *PLONK*

    VB.