    blank area of the desktop or the task bar though.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks
    Bill Jones, Jul 25, 2003

  2. Bill Jones

    Bill Jones Guest

    Nick <> wrote in message news:<gI7Ua.4566$>...
    > I had a similar problem in Win98 once. In the end, it
    > turned out that explorer was corrupt. I spend a lot of
    > time working in the registry, because it seemed weird
    > that it would start to fail in such a specific fashion
    > (all the other functions of explorer worked fine,) but
    > in the end, replacing explorer.exe did the trick.

    Ok I will give that a try. Is there any easy way to replace
    explorer.exe? Do I have to reinstall XP or can I just search for it on
    the XP install disk and install from there? Would that work?

    Thanks
    Bill
    Bill Jones, Jul 25, 2003

  3. Bill Jones

    Geoff Guest

    Bill Jones wrote:
    > I am having a problem, all of a sudden I can't right click any icons,
    > on the desktop or in a explorer window. When I do, I get the hour
    > glass of a cursor and I hear the hard drive running but otherwise the
    > PC is frozen. When I click Ctrl-Alt-Del the are no programs running
    > under the Applications Tab and when I go to shut down from there it
    > brings up the end task now window and "explorer" is the one that is
    > hanging the computer. I am running windows XP Pro and I have ran a
    > virus scan with Norton 2003 with no viruses found. I can right click a
    > blank area of the desktop or the task bar though.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks

    run service pack 1 (even if you already have service pack 1 installed)
    Geoff, Jul 25, 2003
  4. Bill Jones

    Nick Guest

    I am not quite sure in XP. In Win98, I just extracted
    it and copied it over the bad one.
    --

    Nick
    A+, Network+, MCP
    Nick, Jul 25, 2003
  5. On 25 Jul 2003 09:33:36 -0700, (Bill Jones)
    warbled tunelessly:

    >Nick <> wrote in message news:<gI7Ua.4566$>...
    >> I had a similar problem in Win98 once. In the end, it
    >> turned out that explorer was corrupt. I spend a lot of
    >> time working in the registry, because it seemed weird
    >> that it would start to fail in such a specific fashion
    >> (all the other functions of explorer worked fine,) but
    >> in the end, replacing explorer.exe did the trick.

    >Ok I will give that a try. Is there any easy way to replace
    >explorer.exe? Do I have to reinstall XP or can I just search for it on
    >the XP install disk and install from there? Would that work?
    >
    >Thanks
    >Bill

    Hi Bill, I had a similar problem once as well. It had to do with a
    program that had added a link to itself to my right click menu. (Can't
    remember what it was called but it would show a thumbnail of an image
    file or movie file when ever I right clicked a media file)

    Anyhow, as soon as I uninstalled the proggie everything was back to
    normal.
    Joe Rubberneck, Jul 26, 2003
  6. On Thu, 21 Aug 2003 20:20:10 -0500, sgeo
    <> warbled tunelessly:

    >I also have this problem... but it's only in one user's login. WindowsXP
    >Home. I haven't installed anything lately except the Symantec
    >FixBlast.exe... (and it wasn't in this particular login account.)
    >
    >---
    >Sign up to get free daily practice questions at: http://www.QoD.US/i-54.htm
    >View this thread: http://www.examnotes.net/article1017355.html
    >sgeo's Profile: http://www.examnotes.net/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=201184

    I once installed a program that would show a tiny preview if you
    right click on file. Whenever I tried it would reboot my system
    though! Can't remember the program but maybe you have some software
    that has installed itself into your right-click menu ?
    Joe Rubberneck, Aug 27, 2003