    ago? A Korean DVD exists, but the picture quality wavers and the subtitles are
    mediocre at best.

    I'd also love to see its sequel (which was never released in America)

    Vlvetmorning98, Feb 26, 2004

  2. Vlvetmorning98

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <>,
    says...

    > Wasn't this excellent Danish miniseries supposed to come out on R1 some time
    > ago? A Korean DVD exists, but the picture quality wavers and the subtitles are
    > mediocre at best.
    >
    > I'd also love to see its sequel (which was never released in America)

    There is also a 2-disc Danish set containing the complete series - it
    has English subs and is supposed to be a lot better than the Korean
    disc, but I haven't personally seen it. Going rate seems to be about $80
    on eBay, as I don't think it's available anywhere else outside of
    Denmark.

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Feb 26, 2004

  3. Vlvetmorning98

    madkevin Guest

    "Vlvetmorning98" <> wrote in message
    > Wasn't this excellent Danish miniseries supposed to come out on R1 some time
    > ago? A Korean DVD exists, but the picture quality wavers and the subtitles are
    > mediocre at best.
    >
    > I'd also love to see its sequel (which was never released in America)

    The sequel was released into theatres, or at least it was here in Waterloo,
    Ontario. I also have a DVD of the first series which is either R1 or
    regionless - I'd check, but it's not actually on my shelf at the moment as I
    lent it out to a friend. (Great, now I sound like Waterperson77. I bet "The
    Kingdom" would look amazing on that 2:35 television of mine.)

    By the way, Part II is way more fucked up than Part I. In fact, remember the
    very ending of Part I? When the baby with Udo Kier's face was being born
    supernaturally prematurely? And you wondered if that was maybe supposed to be a
    dream sequence, or maybe some sort of really fucked-up metaphor? Guess again.

    Kevin "And Don't Get Me Started On The Penguin" Cogliano

    madkevin, Feb 26, 2004
  4. Vlvetmorning98

    Jens Thomsen Guest

    Dave Garrett wrote:

    > There is also a 2-disc Danish set containing the complete series - it
    > has English subs and is supposed to be a lot better than the Korean
    > disc, but I haven't personally seen it.

    It is a very fine set. The video is quite a lot better than any other
    available version and has no ghosting (no pun intended) and no compression
    artifacts. Of course the picture is still quite grainy, but that is just the
    way it was made.

    There a subtitles in English for the main feature AND for all the extras,
    including for the 'selected' commentary by von Trier.

    The set is region 2.

    Here is a comparison between the Danish set and the Canadian release:
    http://207.136.67.23/film/dvdcompare/kingdom.htm

    --
    Jens Thomsen | http://www.mifune.dk/
    http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=thomsen

    Jens Thomsen, Feb 26, 2004
  5. Vlvetmorning98

    jayembee Guest

    (Vlvetmorning98) wrote:

    > Wasn't this excellent Danish miniseries supposed to come
    > out on R1 some time ago?

    Well, actually, it did. Almost two years ago. Just not in the US:

    http://www.amazon.ca/exec/obidos/AS...31089/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_3_1/702-1995399-4524851

    It's a rather distinctive version in that it's divided into
    five chapters rather than the original four.

    > A Korean DVD exists, but the picture quality wavers and
    > the subtitles are mediocre at best.

    There was also a release in either Hong Kong or Taiwan that's
    absolutely *ghastly*. There's so much compression that many
    times, the characters' faces are just featureless blobs. It's
    the same "divided into two features" October Films version
    that was released in the US to theaters, and on VHS and LD.

    > I'd also love to see its sequel (which was never released
    > in America)

    Well, not formally released as the first one was. It did play
    in art theaters. I saw it way back when at Cambridge (MA)'s
    Brattle Theater. It's also played on Cinemax.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 26, 2004
  6. madkevin wrote:

    > Kevin "And Don't Get Me Started On The Penguin" Cogliano

    Or the Stephen King-scripted Americanization:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324864/

    Derek Janssen (who's guessing the obvious result)

    Derek Janssen, Feb 27, 2004
  7. Vlvetmorning98

    madkevin Guest

    "Derek Janssen" <> wrote in message
    > madkevin wrote:
    > >
    > > Kevin "And Don't Get Me Started On The Penguin" Cogliano

    > Or the Stephen King-scripted Americanization:
    > http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324864/

    I can't tell you how totally pissed off I am about that. There was an
    "Entertainment Tonight" feature on the series, which is actually called "Stephen
    King's Kingdom Hospital", because I guess Americans needed the word "hospital"
    in there so they wouldn't get confused. This was about a three-or-four minute
    segment, and AT NO TIME did ANYBODY, King included, mention that the show did
    not, in fact, originate with him. But, I guess calling it 'Stephen King's 'Lars
    Von Trier's 'The Kingdom''' is also too confusing.

    Besides that little dose of irritation, I simply can't imagine how they're ever
    going to pull off some of that shit for a North American audience, unless it's
    on HBO or something which I gather it isn't. I won't get into some of the
    specifics because there's people here who clearly haven't seen the second part
    yet, but there is some nasty craziness that ensues, as befits the deeply
    peculiar mind of the person that brought you the orgy scene in "The Idiots".
    Mind you, King seems to be keeping the Down Syndrome Greek chorus.

    Kevin "Irritated Much?" Cogliano

    madkevin, Feb 27, 2004
  8. > There is also a 2-disc Danish set containing the complete series - it
    > has English subs and is supposed to be a lot better than the Korean
    > disc, but I haven't personally seen it. Going rate seems to be about $80
    > on eBay, as I don't think it's available anywhere else outside of
    > Denmark.
    >
    > Dave

    Actually it's a four-disc set, and it's a huge improvement over the Taiwan
    and Canadian releases.

    Jason

    Night Shade Books, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Vlvetmorning98

    Mark McGee Guest

    If you have digital cable and You're subscribed to the Starz channels, check
    out their lineup. I think it's this week they are showing "The Kingdom 2".
    I've already set my Tivo to record it. I can't wait to finally get a chance
    to see it. Also, check out the Independent Film Channel. I know they had
    both films on several months ago. Of course, I didn't find out until it was
    too late.

    Mark McGee, Feb 27, 2004
  10. Vlvetmorning98

    jayembee Guest

    "madkevin" <> wrote:

    > "Derek Janssen" <> wrote:
    >> madkevin wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Kevin "And Don't Get Me Started On The Penguin" Cogliano

    >> Or the Stephen King-scripted Americanization:
    >> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0324864/

    > I can't tell you how totally pissed off I am about that.
    > There was an "Entertainment Tonight" feature on the series,
    > which is actually called "Stephen King's Kingdom Hospital",
    > because I guess Americans needed the word "hospital" in
    > there so they wouldn't get confused.

    Perhaps. Or perhaps because they want to make the title more
    distinctive, and "Stephen King's Kingdom" sounds funny.

    > This was about a three-or-four minute segment, and AT NO
    > TIME did ANYBODY, King included, mention that the show did
    > not, in fact, originate with him. But, I guess calling it
    > 'Stephen King's 'Lars Von Trier's 'The Kingdom''' is also
    > too confusing.

    While I share your upset about the lack of credit to LVT,
    I don't share your feelings about the possessive prefix on
    the title. Even though the basic story is LVT's, enough of
    the details have been changed that it's worth differentiating.

    Analogies:

    Howard Hawks' THE THING [FROM ANOTHER WORLD] as opposed to
    John Carpenter's THE THING

    Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO, as opposed to Robert Bloch's PSYCHO.

    Hell, even Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING, as opposed to
    Stephen King's THE SHINING.

    > Besides that little dose of irritation, I simply can't
    > imagine how they're ever going to pull off some of that
    > shit for a North American audience, unless it's on HBO
    > or something which I gather it isn't.

    No, it isn't. It's on ABC. And I'm not sure what "shit"
    you're talking about. It would take a very small amount of
    effort (mostly just snipping -- or not-translating -- a few
    naughty words here and there) to make LVT's original
    broadcastable in the US.

    To me, the biggest issue is that it's a shame that LVT's
    original would be too "weird" for the American viewing
    public, and that in order for them to appreciate the story,
    it has to be filtered through someone they understand and
    appreciate, such as Stephen King.

    > I won't get into some of the specifics because there's
    > people here who clearly haven't seen the second part yet,
    > but there is some nasty craziness that ensues, as befits
    > the deeply peculiar mind of the person that brought you
    > the orgy scene in "The Idiots".

    It's not clear how far King is taking the story. Given that
    the current plan is for a 15-hour story to run this spring
    -- with it continuing next year if it's successful -- there's
    certainly enough time to cover both RIGET series (and the
    never-filmed 3rd series). But everything I've seen about
    the series only seems to focus on the ghost-girl story.

    While I certainly don't have any expectations that this will
    be better than (or even as good as) LVT's original, I am
    actually interested in seeing what King does with it.

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 27, 2004
  11. Vlvetmorning98

    jayembee Guest

    "Night Shade Books" <> wrote:

    > Actually it's a four-disc set, and it's a huge improvement
    > over the Taiwan and Canadian releases.

    Where might one order it from? Does Diabolik DVD carry it?

    (Yes, I know, I should just check out Diabolik myself...)

    -- jayembee

    jayembee, Feb 27, 2004
  12. Vlvetmorning98

    ML-78 Guest

    > > Actually it's a four-disc set, and it's a huge improvement
    > > over the Taiwan and Canadian releases.

    > Where might one order it from? Does Diabolik DVD carry it?

    www.laserdisken.dk ships internationally and have it in stock for $50
    plus shipping.

    ML-78

    ML-78, Feb 27, 2004
  13. Vlvetmorning98

    madkevin Guest

    "jayembee" <> wrote in message

    > While I share your upset about the lack of credit to LVT,
    > I don't share your feelings about the possessive prefix on
    > the title. Even though the basic story is LVT's, enough of
    > the details have been changed that it's worth differentiating.
    >
    > Analogies:
    >
    > Howard Hawks' THE THING [FROM ANOTHER WORLD] as opposed to
    > John Carpenter's THE THING
    >
    > Alfred Hitchcock's PSYCHO, as opposed to Robert Bloch's PSYCHO.
    >
    > Hell, even Stanley Kubrick's THE SHINING, as opposed to
    > Stephen King's THE SHINING.

    But in all of your analogies, the original was already well known to the
    audience viewing the remake. Was there anybody going into "The Shining" that
    didn't know it was based on a Stephen King best-seller?

    By comparison, the ET story on "Kingdom Hospital" made it look like an original
    Stephen King work, which it isn't. It's a remake.

    > > Besides that little dose of irritation, I simply can't
    > > imagine how they're ever going to pull off some of that
    > > shit for a North American audience, unless it's on HBO
    > > or something which I gather it isn't.

    > No, it isn't. It's on ABC. And I'm not sure what "shit"
    > you're talking about. It would take a very small amount of
    > effort (mostly just snipping -- or not-translating -- a few
    > naughty words here and there) to make LVT's original
    > broadcastable in the US.

    HEAVY DUTY SPOILER TIME, SO DON'T SAY I DIDN'T WARN YOU: Like, for example, the
    scene of the live birth of Udo Kier, or the scenes of Kier's mother
    breast-feeding the giant deformed baby, or pretty much anything to do with the
    baby in the second series, come to think of it. There's other stuff that won't
    translate at all, like the Swedish doctor's absolute hatred of all things
    Danish, which I assume they'll just cut completely. (Although it would be funny
    if they made that doctor Canadian and had him spouting off anti-Americanisms at
    all times. Probably not going to happen though.) Linked to that are the
    monologues delivered by the doctor to his toilet bowl, shot from the toilet
    bowl's point of view.

    So, basically, anything that pushes "The Kingdom" over the top, from creepy into
    full-blown crazy, won't make the air. Sort of makes you wonder why they're
    bothering at all.

    > To me, the biggest issue is that it's a shame that LVT's
    > original would be too "weird" for the American viewing
    > public, and that in order for them to appreciate the story,
    > it has to be filtered through someone they understand and
    > appreciate, such as Stephen King.

    Unfortunately, you're probably right. But wasn't ABC too chicken to give David
    Lynch's "Mulholland Dr." a chance in it's original form?

    > While I certainly don't have any expectations that this will
    > be better than (or even as good as) LVT's original, I am
    > actually interested in seeing what King does with it.

    Me too, if only for more fodder for complaining.

    Kevin "Whiny" Cogliano

    madkevin, Feb 27, 2004
  14. Vlvetmorning98

    Dave Garrett Guest

    In article <c1nsi6$2kvg$>, dsl79866
    @NOSPAMvip.cybercity.dk says...

    > > > Actually it's a four-disc set, and it's a huge improvement
    > > > over the Taiwan and Canadian releases.

    > > Where might one order it from? Does Diabolik DVD carry it?

    > www.laserdisken.dk ships internationally and have it in stock for $50
    > plus shipping.

    Thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately their site will not accept my
    credit card. Perhaps a "EuroCard" MasterCard is somehow different from a
    regular MasterCard.

    Do you know if they will accept an International Money Order payable in
    US$ instead of DKK?

    Dave

    Dave Garrett, Feb 28, 2004
  15. Vlvetmorning98

    ML-78 Guest

    > Thanks for the pointer, but unfortunately their site will not accept
    my
    > credit card. Perhaps a "EuroCard" MasterCard is somehow different from

    > regular MasterCard.
    >
    > Do you know if they will accept an International Money Order payable

    in
    > US$ instead of DKK?

    That's strange, they show symbols of various cards at the top of their
    page, including Eurocard Mastercard. I don't know if they accept money
    orders but you can ask them by email (the address is shown at the bottom
    of the front page).

    ML-78

    ML-78, Feb 28, 2004