Ridiculously slow about:blank in IE7 and IE8

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by don@nospam.4me, May 21, 2009.

  1. I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.

    But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
    to or have to use IE.

    It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    which is good old about:blank. Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    or about:blank when I open a new tab.

    We're talking 2-10 seconds of seeing "connecting..." when it should
    just load a blank page (or the about:tabs page) in an instant. These
    are retrieved locally, not fetched from the internet.

    Viruses and malware are not the problem. It happens on every computer
    I'm on, and these computers are all regularly updated and swept for
    malware. They're clean.

    Firefox loads blank pages in an instant, and I don't see why IE can't
    do the same. I've read a workaround to create a blank.htm file on my
    local machine and make that the home page. But just on principle, I'd
    like to see IE behave as logic would dictate it should.

    don@nospam.4me, May 21, 2009

  2. don@nospam.4me

    Mike Easter Guest

    don@nospam.4me wrote:
    > I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.

    Fine.

    > But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
    > to or have to use IE.

    Fine.

    > It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    > which is good old about:blank.

    I have no idea what you are talking about. I have IE7 running on XP and
    my about:blank comes up instantly. Likewise on vista. I don't have any
    ie8.

    > Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    > or about:blank when I open a new tab.

    Something is wrong.

    > We're talking 2-10 seconds of seeing "connecting..." when it should
    > just load a blank page (or the about:tabs page) in an instant. These
    > are retrieved locally, not fetched from the internet.

    Exactly.

    > Viruses and malware are not the problem. It happens on every computer
    > I'm on,

    That's remarkable; how many is every computer? Every computer I use
    which includes 5 configured with XP & IE7 (along with linux distros on
    other partitions), the about:blank snaps in an instant. Actually faster
    than FF 2 or 3 or Opera or Chrome loading.

    > and these computers are all regularly updated and swept for
    > malware. They're clean.
    >
    > Firefox loads blank pages in an instant, and I don't see why IE can't
    > do the same.

    It can and does.

    > I've read a workaround to create a blank.htm file on my
    > local machine and make that the home page.

    You don't need to do that.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 21, 2009

  3. On Thu, 21 May 2009 16:23:35 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
    wrote:

    >I have encountered IE being slow when it was searching for proxy settings.
    >Try Tools > Internet Connections, Connections > LAN Settings, and if its
    >checked then clear "Automatically detect settings".

    Thanks. Yes, the automatically detect was unchecked as I had IE
    configured.

    don@nospam.4me, May 21, 2009
  4. On Thu, 21 May 2009 08:04:25 -0700, "Mike Easter" <>
    wrote:

    >don@nospam.4me wrote:
    >> I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.

    >Fine.
    >
    >> But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
    >> to or have to use IE.

    >Fine.
    >
    >> It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    >> which is good old about:blank.

    >I have no idea what you are talking about. I have IE7 running on XP and
    >my about:blank comes up instantly. Likewise on vista. I don't have any
    >ie8.
    >
    >> Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    >> or about:blank when I open a new tab.

    >Something is wrong.
    >
    >> We're talking 2-10 seconds of seeing "connecting..." when it should
    >> just load a blank page (or the about:tabs page) in an instant. These
    >> are retrieved locally, not fetched from the internet.

    >Exactly.
    >
    >> Viruses and malware are not the problem. It happens on every computer
    >> I'm on,

    >That's remarkable; how many is every computer? Every computer I use
    >which includes 5 configured with XP & IE7 (along with linux distros on
    >other partitions), the about:blank snaps in an instant. Actually faster
    >than FF 2 or 3 or Opera or Chrome loading.
    >
    >> and these computers are all regularly updated and swept for
    >> malware. They're clean.
    >>
    >> Firefox loads blank pages in an instant, and I don't see why IE can't
    >> do the same.

    >It can and does.
    >
    >> I've read a workaround to create a blank.htm file on my
    >> local machine and make that the home page.

    >You don't need to do that.
    >
    >> But just on principle, I'd
    >> like to see IE behave as logic would dictate it should.

    Many questions from you here, which I'll try to handle.

    First, just to clarify: I brought up IE8, and the first blank tab took
    about six seconds to appear. It said "connecting..." while (I'm
    guessing) attempting to connect to about:blank. I opened a new tab
    and that about:blank took six seconds or so to appear. Subsequent
    blank tabs opened right up instantly, as I'd have expected.

    This is on a 3.2 GHz machine, XP, 1 gig of memory, and not a lot else
    going on (running) concurrently.

    The other computers this happens on, all XP, all running IE 8:

    - 2 GHz, 1 gig memory (work computer)
    - 1.4GHz, 512 meg memory (daughter's laptop)
    - 2.4GHz, 1 gig memory (computer my other two kids share)

    It also used to happen with IE 7.

    The microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general group has other old
    posts from other people having this problem, but I've not seen a
    solution that worked.

    I tried doing regsvr32 actxprxy.dll from a command prompt, and that
    didn't help.

    Just tried IE again, and yes, for whatever odd reason, the first two
    about:blank tabs take a long time to come up, then subsequent ones
    load fast.

    Weird.

    don@nospam.4me, May 21, 2009
  5. don@nospam.4me

    Jan B Guest

    "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost> schreef in bericht
    > <don@nospam.4me> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 21 May 2009 16:23:35 +0100, "Brian Cryer" <not.here@localhost>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have encountered IE being slow when it was searching for proxy
    >>>settings.
    >>>Try Tools > Internet Connections, Connections > LAN Settings, and if its
    >>>checked then clear "Automatically detect settings".

    >> Thanks. Yes, the automatically detect was unchecked as I had IE
    >> configured.

    > Can't think of anything else it might be.
    >
    > When you get it sorted (as I hope you will) please post the answer back
    > for the benefit of others.
    > --
    > Brian Cryer
    > www.cryer.co.uk/brian

    I had the same problem with IE7 in XP SP3 1GB. I changed about.blank to
    google and then back to about.blan. It is now a lot better. ??
    --
    Jan B

    Jan B, May 21, 2009
  6. <don@nospam.4me> wrote in message
    >I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.
    >
    > But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
    > to or have to use IE.
    >
    > It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    > which is good old about:blank. Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    > or about:blank when I open a new tab.
    >
    > We're talking 2-10 seconds of seeing "connecting..." when it should
    > just load a blank page (or the about:tabs page) in an instant. These
    > are retrieved locally, not fetched from the internet.
    >
    > Viruses and malware are not the problem. It happens on every computer
    > I'm on, and these computers are all regularly updated and swept for
    > malware. They're clean.
    >
    > Firefox loads blank pages in an instant, and I don't see why IE can't
    > do the same. I've read a workaround to create a blank.htm file on my
    > local machine and make that the home page. But just on principle, I'd
    > like to see IE behave as logic would dictate it should.

    You just answered your own question --- It's Internet Explorer.

    Stacey Chuffo, May 21, 2009
  7. don@nospam.4me

    VanguardLH Guest

    don wrote:

    > It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    > which is good old about:blank. Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    > or about:blank when I open a new tab.
    >
    > We're talking 2-10 seconds of seeing "connecting..." when it should
    > just load a blank page (or the about:tabs page) in an instant. These
    > are retrieved locally, not fetched from the internet.

    Look before posting. microsoft.public.internetexplorer.general already
    has lots of posts on this topic. One possible solution is:

    Remove all sites from the Restricted Sites security zone. Thousands
    of entries (added by anti-malware programs) in this list will
    severely slow IE8. Known bug. Manual removal is tedious. Save
    http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/DelDomains.inf to a file, right-
    click on it, and select Install. This will make registry changes to
    delete the ZoneMap entries and recreate them (but empty). ALL sites
    in every security zone are deleted. If you have entries in the
    Trusted Sites zone, record them before deletion.

    VanguardLH, May 21, 2009
  8. don@nospam.4me

    Jordon Guest

    don@nospam.4me wrote:
    > I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.
    >
    > But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
    > to or have to use IE.
    >
    > It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    > which is good old about:blank. Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    > or about:blank when I open a new tab.

    Have you thought about using the IE Tab extension in Firefox?

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, May 21, 2009
  9. "Jordon" <> wrote in message

    > Have you thought about using the IE Tab extension in Firefox?
    >
    > Jordon

    So what? Firefox can suck too?

    Stacey Chuffo, May 21, 2009
  10. don@nospam.4me

    Jordon Guest

    Stacey Chuffo wrote:
    > "Jordon" wrote in message
    >> Have you thought about using the IE Tab extension in Firefox?
    >>
    >> Jordon

    > So what? Firefox can suck too?

    I just don't know if I can handle the over abundance of
    wit and charm that you contribute to the group.

    --
    Jordon

    Jordon, May 21, 2009
  11. don@nospam.4me

    Leythos Guest

    Try my FixIE Tool and Winsock Repair network tool. Download it here
    http://www.ms-mvp.org/

    your time.

    Leythos, May 21, 2009
  12. (posting from msnews, not USENET)
    <don@nospam.4me> wrote in message news:...
    >I use Firefox as my primary browser on all my PCs, home and work.
    >
    > But there are enough situations where, for specific reasons, I'll want
    > to or have to use IE.
    >
    > It just takes way too long to bring up what I have as my default page,
    > which is good old about:blank. Same thing (long delay) for about:tabs
    > or about:blank when I open a new tab.

    That doesn't tell us anything about any of your other options or add-ons.
    E.g. try it with Work Offline already set and without add-ons...
    So, Run... (press Win-R and enter:)

    iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff about:blank

    Good luck

    Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

    Robert Aldwinckle, May 21, 2009
  13. On Thu, 21 May 2009 18:57:31 -0400, "Robert Aldwinckle"
    <> wrote:

    >That doesn't tell us anything about any of your other options or add-ons.
    >E.g. try it with Work Offline already set and without add-ons...
    >So, Run... (press Win-R and enter:)
    >
    > iexplore.exe -nohome -extoff about:blank
    >

    >Good luck
    >
    >Robert Aldwinckle

    I tried this. Same result.

    6+ seconds for first about:blank tab. 6+ seconds for second one.

    Instant third and fourth about:blank tabs.

    6+ seconds for fifth about:blank tab.

    Subsequent about:blank tabs loaded instantly.

    don@nospam.4me, May 22, 2009
  14. don@nospam.4me

    patyjoe

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2011
    Messages:
    1
    I've been having the same problem for the last few months with IE8. I can reinstall IE8 and it will fly for a little while, but sooner or later about blank attaches to it and it slows down again. I'm begining to think Microsoft is so inthralled with thier bright new IE9 that thier trying to drive us to use it and they've caused this problem themselves. By now they know the "about blank" problem and could fix it if they wanted too, but apparently they don't want to. The only thing wrong with thier strategy (if they are causing the problem to drive us to IE9) is thier driving people into using other browsers and away from Microsoft. Maybe a case of to much book learn'in and not enough horse sense.:listen:

    patyjoe, Nov 11, 2011