    computer?

    To make matters worse, there no longer is an option to scan disk with XP.

    Anyone else want to join me in going back to Windows 98?
    Julie P., Sep 29, 2004

  2. Julie P.

    °Mike° Guest

    Press the reset button or pull the plug.

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:27:19 -0400, in
    <>
    Julie P. scrawled:

    <snip>

    >What does one do in this situation, besides taking a sledge hammer
    >to the computer?

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Sep 30, 2004

  3. Julie P.

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Julie P." <> wrote:

    >Well, I tried going to cnn.com with IE6. The page would not load, and it
    >said there was no response. I couldn't close the window or go back. So I
    >tried to use control+alt+delete to end IE. No luck. I then tried to restart.
    >No luck. I then tried turning off the computer. No luck. XP won't let you
    >turn off the computer without shutting down first. So, then, out of
    >desperation, I just pulled the plug out from the back of the computer. Is
    >this Microsoft this stupid that there is no emergency shut off mechanism?
    >
    >What does one do in this situation, besides taking a sledge hammer to the
    >computer?
    >
    >To make matters worse, there no longer is an option to scan disk with XP.
    >
    >Anyone else want to join me in going back to Windows 98?

    With ATX motherboards the manual power off procedure is to press the
    on/off switch in and hold it in for 10 seconds or so.

    That is a hardware function and has nothing to do with Windows. It
    would work the same way regardless of which operating system you
    installed.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    Ron Martell, Sep 30, 2004
  4. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    > Press the reset button or pull the plug.

    Thanks Mike! Except that my new Dell computer does not have a reset button
    like my old Dell did.
    Julie P., Sep 30, 2004
  5. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    "Ron Martell" <> wrote in message
    > "Julie P." <> wrote:
    >
    >>Well, I tried going to cnn.com with IE6. The page would not load, and it
    >>said there was no response. I couldn't close the window or go back. So I
    >>tried to use control+alt+delete to end IE. No luck. I then tried to
    >>restart.
    >>No luck. I then tried turning off the computer. No luck. XP won't let you
    >>turn off the computer without shutting down first. So, then, out of
    >>desperation, I just pulled the plug out from the back of the computer. Is
    >>this Microsoft this stupid that there is no emergency shut off mechanism?
    >>
    >>What does one do in this situation, besides taking a sledge hammer to the
    >>computer?
    >>
    >>To make matters worse, there no longer is an option to scan disk with XP.
    >>
    >>Anyone else want to join me in going back to Windows 98?
    >>

    > With ATX motherboards the manual power off procedure is to press the
    > on/off switch in and hold it in for 10 seconds or so.
    >
    > That is a hardware function and has nothing to do with Windows. It
    > would work the same way regardless of which operating system you
    > installed.

    Thanks Ron! Glad to know this for future reference.

    J.
    Julie P., Sep 30, 2004
  6. Julie P.

    Sweet n Sour Guest

    Just press the "Power" button for more than 6 Seconds
    and th PC will switch off.

    Sweet n Sour, Sep 30, 2004
  7. Julie P.

    EricP Guest

    On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 18:27:19 -0400, "Julie P."
    <> wrote:

    >Well, I tried going to cnn.com with IE6. The page would not load, and it
    >said there was no response. I couldn't close the window or go back. So I
    >tried to use control+alt+delete to end IE. No luck. I then tried to restart.
    >No luck. I then tried turning off the computer. No luck. XP won't let you
    >turn off the computer without shutting down first. So, then, out of
    >desperation, I just pulled the plug out from the back of the computer. Is
    >this Microsoft this stupid that there is no emergency shut off mechanism?
    >
    >What does one do in this situation, besides taking a sledge hammer to the
    >computer?
    >
    >To make matters worse, there no longer is an option to scan disk with XP.
    >
    >Anyone else want to join me in going back to Windows 98?

    I too have a Dell and this problem is getting worse. It has reduced XP
    from months of trouble free use, to Windows (Crash Regularly) 95.

    SP2 seems to break Taskmanager on some machines, it has on mine.
    EricP, Oct 1, 2004