    knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them
    everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word.
    What is it? _______gry?

    Bob H, May 15, 2004

  2. Bob H

    Barney Guest

    "Bob H" <> wrote in message news:...
    > A RIDDLE THAT'LL KILL YOUR BRAIN!
    >
    > This is going to make you so MAD! There are three words in the English
    > language that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is hungry. EveryONE
    > knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them
    > everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word.
    > What is it? _______gry?

    'the English language'

    language

    Barney, May 15, 2004

  3. Bob H

    °Mike° Guest

    YAWN!
    http://www.word-detective.com/gry.html

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 09:54:11 -0400, in
    <>
    Bob H scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 15, 2004
  4. Bob H

    Stickems Guest

    The answer is 'language'.

    Stickems, May 15, 2004
  5. Bob H

    Phil Guest

    language ends with "gry"? - - Not on in my world it doesn't.

    Phil

    Phil, May 15, 2004
  6. Bob H

    Trent SC Guest

    Trent SC, May 15, 2004
  7. Bob H

    Phil Guest

    "Trent SC" <> wrote in message
    > http://www.word-detective.com/gry.html
    >
    > "Phil" <> wrote in message
    > > language ends with "gry"? - - Not on in my world it doesn't.
    > >
    > > Phil
    > > "Stickems" <> wrote in message
    > > > The answer is 'language'.
    > > >
    > > > "Bob H" <> wrote in message

    English

    > > EveryONE

    > > them

    third
    > > > word.

    Thanks Trent........ !!!!!

    Phil

    Phil, May 15, 2004
  8. Bob H

    tigercat Guest

    at the end of this link's article it says, that the 2nd and 3rd sentence
    make it obvious that the answer is "language". i see no reason whatsoever
    from these sentences that this is obvious or true. also, i don't believe
    it's correct to say "that everyone uses "them" everyday", in referring to
    the word language. i don't think it's correct to use "them" in referring to
    language, but i also don't pretend to be a scholar [and my highschool
    teachers would concur].

    also, "gry" has nothing to do with the word language being the answer, so
    either there's no sensible answer, or we just haven't heard it yet. but
    since many people have waisted way too much time on this silly riddle with
    no known effective results, i have to conclude that this is a puzzle without
    an answer, at least not any satisfying one.

    tigercat, May 15, 2004
  9. Bob H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "tigercat" <> wrote in message
    > at the end of this link's article it says, that the 2nd and 3rd sentence
    > make it obvious that the answer is "language". i see no reason whatsoever
    > from these sentences that this is obvious or true. also, i don't believe
    > it's correct to say "that everyone uses "them" everyday", in referring to
    > the word language. i don't think it's correct to use "them" in referring

    > language, but i also don't pretend to be a scholar [and my highschool
    > teachers would concur].
    >
    > also, "gry" has nothing to do with the word language being the answer, so
    > either there's no sensible answer, or we just haven't heard it yet. but
    > since many people have waisted way too much time on this silly riddle with
    > no known effective results, i have to conclude that this is a puzzle

    without
    > an answer, at least not any satisfying one.

    The answer is in the *lack* of punctuation: /There are three words in the
    English language/ SHOULD have been written with quotes around "the English
    language". Thus, the third word in "the English language" is *language*. And
    yes, if you write, talk, or listen to anything, you too use it everyday.

    Toolman Tim, May 15, 2004
  10. Bob H

    Barney Guest

    http://www.dict.org/gry.html

    http://www.ipl.org/div/farq/gryFARQ.html

    http://www.fun-with-words.com/word_gry_angry_hungry.html

    Barney, May 15, 2004
  11. Bob H

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sat, 15 May 2004 15:07:11 -0400, in
    <>
    tigercat scrawled:

    >at the end of this link's article it says, that the 2nd and 3rd sentence
    >make it obvious that the answer is "language". i see no reason whatsoever
    >from these sentences that this is obvious or true.

    "There are three words in **the English language**. What is the third word?"

    > also, i don't believe it's correct to say "that everyone uses "them"
    >everyday", in referring to the word language.

    Read it again. "Everyone knows what it means and everyone uses it every day."

    >i don't think it's correct to use "them" in referring to language,

    Read it again.

    >but i also don't pretend to be a scholar [and my highschool
    >teachers would concur].
    >
    >also, "gry" has nothing to do with the word language being the answer, so
    >either there's no sensible answer,

    You're missing the point: "the question of "gry" is just a silly riddle,
    mangled on the Information Superhighway". Why do you suppose
    I prefaced my reply with "YAWN!"?

    >or we just haven't heard it yet. but since many people have waisted

    wasted.

    >way too much time on this silly riddle with no known effective results,
    >i have to conclude that this is a puzzle without an answer, at least
    >not any satisfying one.

    See above.

    >"°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    >> YAWN!
    >> http://www.word-detective.com/gry.html

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, May 16, 2004
  12. Bob H

    Ryan 8088 Guest

    I have a lan-guage on my router!
    "Bob H" <> wrote in
    message

    Ryan 8088, May 16, 2004
  13. Bob H

    John Guest

    In article <>, Bob H
    <> wrote:

    > A RIDDLE THAT'LL KILL YOUR BRAIN!
    >
    > This is going to make you so MAD! There are three words in the English
    > language that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is hungry. EveryONE
    > knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses them
    > everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third word.
    > What is it? _______gry?

    If those sentences are all part of the same proposed puzzle, then the
    answer can never be 'language'. All sentences that are given as part of
    the same subject must be relevant to that subject -- you can't simpyl
    ignore one relevant part because it doesn't appear to fit the answer
    you are prepared to use.
    In other words, given that there are three words that end in -gry, and
    the puzzle gives two words, the puzzle asks for the third word -- and
    the subject remains 'words that end in -gry.'

    For my part, I was satisfied by the interpretation that this was meant
    to be a spoken puzzle, and the third word could be 'agree' or another
    word with that sound.

    John, May 16, 2004
  14. Bob H

    Rick Byrne Guest

    Their is no answer for this because you worded the riddle wrong. Someone
    sent this to me before and i did some research on it. if you google it
    you'll find the same results
    "John" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>, Bob H
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > A RIDDLE THAT'LL KILL YOUR BRAIN!
    > >
    > > This is going to make you so MAD! There are three words in the English
    > > language that end in "gry". ONE is angry and the other is hungry.

    EveryONE
    > > knows what the third ONE means and what it stands for. EveryONE uses

    them
    > > everyday, and if you listened very carefully, I've given you the third

    word.
    > > What is it? _______gry?
    > >

    > If those sentences are all part of the same proposed puzzle, then the
    > answer can never be 'language'. All sentences that are given as part of
    > the same subject must be relevant to that subject -- you can't simpyl
    > ignore one relevant part because it doesn't appear to fit the answer
    > you are prepared to use.
    > In other words, given that there are three words that end in -gry, and
    > the puzzle gives two words, the puzzle asks for the third word -- and
    > the subject remains 'words that end in -gry.'
    >
    > For my part, I was satisfied by the interpretation that this was meant
    > to be a spoken puzzle, and the third word could be 'agree' or another
    > word with that sound.

    ---

    Rick Byrne, May 17, 2004
  15. Bob H

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Rick Byrne" <> wrote in message
    > Their is no answer for this because you worded the riddle wrong. Someone
    > sent this to me before and i did some research on it. if you google it
    > you'll find the same results

    Actually the person you posted your reply to did *not* word the riddle
    wrong...next time, reply to the OP, not to the reply to a reply...etc...

    And if you *read* what you got from Google, you'd know that the OP just
    repeated back what he found somewhere else...the errors have perpetuated
    themselves and are not his. What was that old parlor game where we whispered
    something in a person's ear, and they passed it on to the next person, all
    the way around the room to see what it ended up as? Internet
    stories/riddles/jokes get screwed up along the way just like that.

    Toolman Tim, May 17, 2004
  16. Bob H

    John Guest

    In article <>, Toolman Tim
    <> wrote:

    > And if you *read* what you got from Google, you'd know that the OP just
    > repeated back what he found somewhere else...the errors have perpetuated
    > themselves and are not his. What was that old parlor game where we whispered
    > something in a person's ear, and they passed it on to the next person, all
    > the way around the room to see what it ended up as? Internet
    > stories/riddles/jokes get screwed up along the way just like that.

    A good example.

    I learned that game as 'Telephone', but that doesn't fit since a
    telephone doesn't change what is said.

    Since one point of the game is that when people hear sentences they
    usually interpret them into ideas, so that repeating the ideas in new
    terms changes from the original meaning.
    The other point of the game is that sometimes words aren't heard
    correctly, but that isn't really much of a lesson to offer.

    John, May 17, 2004
  17. Bob H

    Stickems Guest

    Send three and fourpence I'm going to a dance.

    Stickems, May 17, 2004