Ricoh: HD DVD / Blu-ray combo players

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Tarkus, Jul 14, 2006.

  1. Tarkus

    Tarkus Guest

    Ricoh component is key to HD DVD / Blu-ray combo players
    11 July 2006 0:46 by Dela

    Japanese electronics giant Ricoh has developed a component that could
    bring the prospect of HD DVD and Blu-Ray compatible hardware being
    developed by manufacturers to life. The component in question is a
    diffraction plate. The component sits between the laser and the lens and
    adjusts the light beam so it focuses on the proper potion of the disc.
    The company claims it will allow both reading and writing to the disc
    formats.

    The data layer on a Blu-ray disc resides 0.1 mm from the surface, whereas
    HD DVD's data layer is 0.6-mm deep. "This diffraction device is the first
    one that is ready for four formats, including BD and HD-DVD," claimed a
    Ricoh spokesman. "It will make it possible to build players and recorders
    ready for all formats, which will benefit consumers,"

    Indeed it would benefit consumers, as the format war has put most
    consumers off the idea of investing in either HD DVD or Blu-ray due to
    fears the hardware will be obsolete in the near future. The war could be
    much worse than the VHS-Betamax situation, as with HD DVD and Blu-ray,
    you don't just keep movies in mind, you have to consider the issue even
    when buying a PC.

    Ricoh will show the optical device at the International Optoelectronics
    Exhibition '06 outside Tokyo on July 12-14. The company intends to offer
    the device to OEMs by year's end.

    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7740.cfm
    --
    "Ah. The searing kiss of hot lead; how I missed you.
    I mean, I think I'm dying."

    Now playing: "Dream Theater - New Millennium"

    Tarkus, Jul 14, 2006

  2. Tarkus

    Roy L. Fuchs Guest

    On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:21:39 GMT, Tarkus <>
    Gave us:

    >Indeed it would benefit WUSSIES, as the format war has put most
    >WUSSIES off the idea of investing in either HD DVD or Blu-ray due to
    >fears the hardware will be obsolete in the near future.

    There... Your post needed correcting.

    Roy L. Fuchs, Jul 15, 2006

  3. Tarkus

    Guest

    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:55:10 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:21:39 GMT, Tarkus <>
    >Gave us:
    >
    >>Indeed it would benefit WUSSIES, as the format war has put most
    >>WUSSIES off the idea of investing in either HD DVD or Blu-ray due to
    >>fears the hardware will be obsolete in the near future.

    > There... Your post needed correcting.

    That's funny. PLonkolla. Idiot.

    , Jul 19, 2006
  4. Tarkus

    Richard C. Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 18:55:10 GMT, Roy L. Fuchs
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 09:21:39 GMT, Tarkus <>
    >>Gave us:
    >>
    >>>Indeed it would benefit WUSSIES, as the format war has put most
    >>>WUSSIES off the idea of investing in either HD DVD or Blu-ray due to
    >>>fears the hardware will be obsolete in the near future.

    >> There... Your post needed correcting.

    > That's funny. PLonkolla. Idiot.

    Roy is a child.
    No one over the age of 13 uses childish words like "wussies" and "retard".
    Especially in every post...................

    Richard C., Jul 19, 2006