  1. What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras on the
    major review sites?

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 4, 2007

  2. David J Taylor

    Jack Guest

    "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote in
    news:UHpxh.5929$:

    > What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras on
    > the major review sites?
    >
    > David

    That they're not too popular.

    Jack, Feb 4, 2007

  3. David J Taylor

    ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:35:32 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    > What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras
    > on the major review sites?

    That Ricoh either doesn't sell in very large numbers or their
    cameras aren't generally available in all major markets, or both.
    The only one that I'm sure of is that most or all of their cameras
    aren't sold in the USA. I've heard that some of their cameras are
    rebadged (as Rollies, I think). But when I checked with some large
    camera sellers about a year ago, couldn't find any, not even an "out
    of stock" listing. Adorama has been advertising the GR-Digital for
    several months, so perhaps Ricoh's marketing restrictions are
    loosening up a bit.

    ASAAR, Feb 4, 2007
  4. David J Taylor

    davek57 Guest

    On Feb 4, 1:35 pm, "David J Taylor" <-
    this-bit.nor-this-part.uk> wrote:
    > What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras on the
    > major review sites?
    >
    > David

    That Ricoh doesn't make their cameras available for reviews. Kodak,
    Canon, Nikon, etc. understand the value of PR at introduction of a new
    camera. Ricoh -- which is too engrossed in office products to really
    focus on cameras anymore -- is content to let "mystique" and word-of-
    mouth carry the day.

    But I wouldn't buy a new camera without a U.S. warranty, and Ricoh
    can't support repairs in the U.S. So it's all for the best.

    -DK

    davek57, Feb 4, 2007
  5. David J Taylor

    ray Guest

    On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:35:32 +0000, David J Taylor wrote:

    > What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras on the
    > major review sites?
    >
    > David

    That not many folks have reviewed them.

    ray, Feb 5, 2007
  6. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:35:32 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras
    >> on the major review sites?

    > That Ricoh either doesn't sell in very large numbers or their
    > cameras aren't generally available in all major markets, or both.
    > The only one that I'm sure of is that most or all of their cameras
    > aren't sold in the USA. I've heard that some of their cameras are
    > rebadged (as Rollies, I think). But when I checked with some large
    > camera sellers about a year ago, couldn't find any, not even an "out
    > of stock" listing. Adorama has been advertising the GR-Digital for
    > several months, so perhaps Ricoh's marketing restrictions are
    > loosening up a bit.

    Not being sold in the USA would explain quite a lot, although Ricoh aren't
    the only company to be selective about where products are sold. As I'm
    not buying in the USA, the lack of USA warranty mentioned by DK doesn't
    concern me.

    At least no-one has yet said it's because the cameras are no good!

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 5, 2007
  7. David J Taylor

    jeremy Guest

    wrote in message news:4sCxh.6103$...
    > ASAAR wrote:
    >> On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 18:35:32 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >>
    >>> What should I infer from the lack of reviews of Ricoh brand cameras
    >>> on the major review sites?

    >> That Ricoh either doesn't sell in very large numbers or their
    >> cameras aren't generally available in all major markets, or both.
    >> The only one that I'm sure of is that most or all of their cameras
    >> aren't sold in the USA. I've heard that some of their cameras are
    >> rebadged (as Rollies, I think). But when I checked with some large
    >> camera sellers about a year ago, couldn't find any, not even an "out
    >> of stock" listing. Adorama has been advertising the GR-Digital for
    >> several months, so perhaps Ricoh's marketing restrictions are
    >> loosening up a bit.

    > Not being sold in the USA would explain quite a lot, although Ricoh aren't
    > the only company to be selective about where products are sold. As I'm
    > not buying in the USA, the lack of USA warranty mentioned by DK doesn't
    > concern me.
    >
    > At least no-one has yet said it's because the cameras are no good!
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

    I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC 5300, since 2000, and they
    have given excellent results. They were feature-laden for their time.
    Ricoh may have an image problem in the US. They have been rebadging their
    cameras as Rollei in this market.

    jeremy, Feb 5, 2007
  8. jeremy wrote:
    []
    > I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC 5300, since 2000, and
    > they have given excellent results. They were feature-laden for their
    > time. Ricoh may have an image problem in the US. They have been
    > rebadging their cameras as Rollei in this market.

    Thanks, Jeremy.

    I just got an R5 and wondered why the brand wasn't better known. It works
    very well considering its size the the 1/2.5-inch sensor.

    http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh_caplio_r5_review.htm

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 5, 2007
  9. David J Taylor

    jeremy Guest

    wrote in message news:JDKxh.6343$...
    > jeremy wrote:
    > []
    >> I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC 5300, since 2000, and
    >> they have given excellent results. They were feature-laden for their
    >> time. Ricoh may have an image problem in the US. They have been
    >> rebadging their cameras as Rollei in this market.

    > Thanks, Jeremy.
    >
    > I just got an R5 and wondered why the brand wasn't better known. It works
    > very well considering its size the the 1/2.5-inch sensor.
    >
    > http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh_caplio_r5_review.htm
    >
    > David

    Ricoh has not done a good job of advancing their brand awareness. They once
    were a well-known film camera manufacturer, but they withdrew from film and
    concentrated on their copier and office equipment lines.

    The RDC-5000 was an innovative digital camera--remote control, keep settings
    menu, text mode, styled to look like a traditional camera--resembled the
    Contax G2, LCD protective cover, ability to use camera with LCD cover
    closed, real-image viewfinder, excellent all-glass 9-element lens, 3
    aspheric surfaces, even an interval shooting mode for timed shots of
    anywhere between 30 seconds and three hours apart. The camera came with all
    cables, AC adapter, case and even a videotape that explained basic
    operations. It could output onto TV (US and European standards) and it was
    a most unusual camera in its day.

    I still use mine (I have 3 of them--bought two more on eBay). For 4x6
    snapshots, the camera was perfect. 2.3 MP resolution of 1200x1800 yielded
    300 ppi at 4 x 6. The CCD chip had a 3:2 aspect ratio--just like 35mm film.

    I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
    "second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain why
    their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

    I shoot mainly 35mm film, and I scan the images to digital. But for my
    less-important work, the RDC-5300 camera works fine, and I have not found
    any need to go up to a more recent digicam. My own experience with Ricoh
    was quite pleasant, and I would not hesitate to recommend their cameras.
    But they are clearly the sort of brand for the person that marches to his
    own drummer.

    jeremy, Feb 5, 2007
  10. David J Taylor

    Bandicoot Guest

    "David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    wrote in message news:JDKxh.6343$...
    > jeremy wrote:
    > []
    > > I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC
    > > 5300, since 2000, and they have given excellent results.
    > > They were feature-laden for their time. Ricoh may have an
    > > image problem in the US. They have been
    > > rebadging their cameras as Rollei in this market.

    > Thanks, Jeremy.
    >
    > I just got an R5 and wondered why the brand wasn't better
    > known. It works very well considering its size the the 1/2.5-> inch

    sensor.

    My GF has been very pleased with her R4 which she bought after taking me to
    look at a shortlist of models from different manufacturers. My experience
    with several Ricoh film cameras (GR1v, GR10, GR21) encouraged me to take
    them seriously, and when trying out the options in the shop it blew away the
    alternatives (other cameras with a reasonably wide end to their zooms, and a
    price about £50-100 either side of the Ricoh.)

    Peter

    Bandicoot, Feb 5, 2007
  11. David J Taylor

    Mac Lynch Guest

    In article <FbMxh.2601$yI1.2410@trndny01>, says...

    >"David J Taylor" <-this-bit.nor-this-part.uk>
    >wrote in message news:JDKxh.6343$...
    >> jeremy wrote:
    >> []
    >>> I've owned 2 Ricoh cameras, the RDC-5000 & RDC 5300, since 2000, and
    >>> they have given excellent results. They were feature-laden for their
    >>> time. Ricoh may have an image problem in the US. They have been
    >>> rebadging their cameras as Rollei in this market.

    >> Thanks, Jeremy.
    >>
    >> I just got an R5 and wondered why the brand wasn't better known. It works
    >> very well considering its size the the 1/2.5-inch sensor.
    >>
    >> http://www.digicamreview.co.uk/ricoh_caplio_r5_review.htm
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    >Ricoh has not done a good job of advancing their brand awareness. They once
    >were a well-known film camera manufacturer, but they withdrew from film and
    >concentrated on their copier and office equipment lines.
    >
    >The RDC-5000 was an innovative digital camera--remote control, keep settings
    >menu, text mode, styled to look like a traditional camera--resembled the
    >Contax G2, LCD protective cover, ability to use camera with LCD cover
    >closed, real-image viewfinder, excellent all-glass 9-element lens, 3
    >aspheric surfaces, even an interval shooting mode for timed shots of
    >anywhere between 30 seconds and three hours apart. The camera came with all
    >cables, AC adapter, case and even a videotape that explained basic
    >operations. It could output onto TV (US and European standards) and it was
    >a most unusual camera in its day.
    >
    >I still use mine (I have 3 of them--bought two more on eBay). For 4x6
    >snapshots, the camera was perfect. 2.3 MP resolution of 1200x1800 yielded
    >300 ppi at 4 x 6. The CCD chip had a 3:2 aspect ratio--just like 35mm film.
    >
    >I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
    >"second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain why
    >their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.
    >
    >I shoot mainly 35mm film, and I scan the images to digital. But for my
    >less-important work, the RDC-5300 camera works fine, and I have not found
    >any need to go up to a more recent digicam. My own experience with Ricoh
    >was quite pleasant, and I would not hesitate to recommend their cameras.
    >But they are clearly the sort of brand for the person that marches to his
    >own drummer.

    Kia Ora
    I fully endorse Jeremy's comments. My ricoh was actually 5300Dc, very similar
    to his. But I was persuaded to try the Caplio R3 and have found though it is a
    lot smaller, the pics are at least as good as the 5300DC but Oh the speed it
    writes to card & the ability to take immediate consequetative shots, and fast
    readback is wonderful.
    Also the Li Ion Battery, seems to last forever.
    Usually have this great camera in my pocket!
    Mac

    Mac Lynch, Feb 6, 2007
  12. David J Taylor

    Ken Ashcroft Guest

    In reply:
    I am on my 4ht, the latest being an R5 following a pleasurable
    experience with an R3. My daughter still uses the I7 which is a vest
    pocket format. Quality is great but the macro and the 28 - 200mm lens
    are features I like to the R3/5

    --

    Ken Ashcroft

    Ken Ashcroft, Feb 6, 2007
  13. David J Taylor

    Doug Robbins Guest

    "jeremy" <> wrote in message
    > I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
    > "second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain why
    > their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

    Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

    Doug Robbins, Feb 8, 2007
  14. David J Taylor

    RichK Guest

    "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message>

    > > I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
    > > "second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain

    why
    > > their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

    > Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

    You mean that the famous Vivitar 283 was really made by some basement
    outfit, whose name we shall never know?

    RichK

    RichK, Feb 8, 2007
  15. David J Taylor

    jeremy Guest

    > "jeremy" <> wrote in message
    >> I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being a
    >> "second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain
    >> why their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

    > Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

    So?

    Vivitar sold cameras under its own name, regardless of who made them.

    jeremy, Feb 8, 2007
  16. David J Taylor

    Doug Robbins Guest

    "RichK" <> wrote in message

    > "Doug Robbins" <> wrote in message>
    >
    >> > I think that Ricoh had associations in the minds of consumers of being
    >> > "second tier" manufacturer--somewhat like Vivitar. That might explain

    > why
    >> > their cameras are being distributed under the Rollei name in the US.

    >> Vivitar was a distributor of photographic items, not a manufacturer.

    > You mean that the famous Vivitar 283 was really made by some basement
    > outfit, whose name we shall never know?
    >
    > RichK

    Yep.

    Doug Robbins, Feb 8, 2007