Ribbons Screensaver has stopped working

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Ryan, Feb 22, 2008.

  1. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hello,

    I have a very odd problem. I love the Ribbons screensaver but since
    installing Vista x64, any time it kicks in and is removed by a mouse move or
    a key press, Vista says the "ribbons screensaver has stopped working" but has
    no solutions for it.

    I've tried to google for answers but only found a few links to others with
    the same problem with no apparent solution available.

    My PC is..

    Vista Ultimate x64
    Asus P5K-E Wifi
    Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    EVGA 8800GT 512mb

    not sure what else might be relevant. all drivers current as of the date of
    this post.

    Here's the info I got about it from the Problem Reports and Solutions
    control panel...

    Product
    Ribbons Screen Saver

    Problem
    Stopped working

    Date
    2/21/2008 6:51 PM

    Status
    Report Sent

    Problem signature
    Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    Application Name: Ribbons.scr
    Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Application Timestamp: 4549bb4a
    Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d372
    Exception Code: c0000005
    Exception Offset: 0000000000053809
    OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    Locale ID: 1033
    Additional Information 1: 6ccb
    Additional Information 2: d70b554a667f5d3274c86becb8627281
    Additional Information 3: b267
    Additional Information 4: 2a20c5e696c99db183736948d45868ba

    Extra information about the problem
    Bucket ID: 206143

    thank you for any help,
    Ryan
    Ryan, Feb 22, 2008

  2. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    I forgot to mention.. it also gives this error message even if I simply have
    the Screen Saver Settings window open. If Ribbons is playing in the little
    preview monitor and then I choose a different screensaver from the dropdown,
    bam... ribbons has stopped responding.
    Ryan, Feb 22, 2008

  3. Not an application I'm familiar with, Ryan, but my suspicion is that you're
    going to have to contact the software vendor. They may well have an update
    that supports Vista better. Over the time since Vista was released, I've
    seen quite a few applications with minor compatibility issues such as this.
    For both 32-bit and 64-bit Vista, I might add. You can try running it in a
    compatibility mode, but the first thing I'd try is to back to the software
    vendor. They really should be fixing their application.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 22, 2008
  4. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi thanks for your reply... I guess I should've clarified that the Ribbons
    screensaver comes with Windows Vista

    Ryan, Feb 22, 2008
  5. Ryan

    Jane C Guest

    Hi Ryan,

    The c0000005 error is an Access Violation error.

    The common denominator with this "screensaver has stopped working" error is
    Vista x64 with an nVidia 8000 series gpu, which would suggest to me
    something not quite right with the nVidia 64 bit drivers.

    Are you using the drivers as-is, or have you made any changes/tweaks via the
    nVidia gpu control panel?

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)
    MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Jane C, Feb 22, 2008
  6. Ah. Just goes to show, I don't run many screen savers. ;) I tend to go for
    blanked screens and shutdown monitors. ;)

    Jane is pointing at the nVidia drivers, and that sounds likely. I just ran
    some tests here on it, with my ATI card, and not seeing any issue. It is
    kinda cool for a screen saver, I might get tempted. ;)

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 22, 2008
  7. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi Jane, thanks for your reply and help getting to the bottom of this.

    I've not made any changes to the drivers. They were the latest package
    available and I downloaded directly from www.nvidia.com. Specifically
    Forceware 169.25 released on Dec 20, 2007. A direct link to the page is
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.25_whql.html

    I've also made no changes in the Nvidia control panel. Everything should be
    at the installed defaults.

    Not sure worth noting just for sake of completeness.. everything on this PC
    is a fresh install, under a week old.

    Thanks again,
    Ryan

    Ryan, Feb 22, 2008
  8. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    In light of the suggestion that it could possibly be the Nvidia drivers, I
    opened a bug report on Nvidia's webpage regarding my issue.

    I've considered uninstalling the drivers temporarily and trying the
    screensaver to see if the problem goes away to narrow it down to a definite
    driver issue, but I'm not at my home PC at the moment.

    Do you have any thoughts on any other avenues in case this isn't a driver
    problem? I've allowed the crash report to be sent to Microsoft - I
    shouldn't have to worry about filing one separately correct?

    Sorry for a followup on my own post again. I keep thinking of more things
    after I post. :)

    Ryan, Feb 22, 2008
  9. I tried to replicate on my VU x64 box (using nVidia 169.25 driver) but could
    not.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 22, 2008
  10. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    Hi Colin, just curious if you have a Logitech keyboard/mouse combo and/or
    have Setpoint 4.4 installed? I'm trying to think of different angles here
    if its not the nvidia driver.

    Thanks.

    Ryan, Feb 27, 2008
  11. I am using a Microsoft Internet Keyboard Pro and a Logitech M-SBF96 (P/S2)
    mouse. The mouse driver is i8042prt.sys.

    Colin Barnhorst, Feb 27, 2008
  12. A long shot, perhaps - but have you gone through all the settings in your
    BIOS? Is it possible that you have things enabled that you don't need. In
    particular ACPI? Could you experiment and turn that off completely for a
    while? (You may loose the Hibernate and Power Saving features, for the
    duration?).

    And do turn off any and all support in there that you will not be needing
    right now, if for nothing else, you may see faster boot-times!

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 27, 2008
  13. I think you need ACPI enabled for x64, Tony...

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 28, 2008
  14. Ryan

    Ryan Guest

    new information

    Hi there. Still trying to solve this. Here's my latest find...

    I did a search for "ribbons.scr" and I came up with results in 2 different
    places:

    C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr

    and

    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr

    I'm new to 64bit OS's but from what I've determined, the first is the 64bit
    path and the second is the 32bit emulation path.

    Both Ribbons.scr files have different sizes so I can only assume one is
    native 64bit while the other is 32bit? Anyways, what I've found is this...

    If I right click C:\Windows\System32\Ribbons.scr and choose "Test", the
    screensaver launches but as soon as I move the mouse/hit a key, I get
    "Ribbons has stopped responding" and it crashes.

    If I do the same procedure to C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Ribbons.scr, it works just
    fine. No issues at all. I've tried multiple times to make sure but its
    never once crashed.

    So now that leaves me stumped. While I've found that the 32bit one
    apparently works, why would the 64bit one be crashing?

    Ryan, Mar 2, 2008
  15. Ryan

    JR Smith Guest

    Conflict with Logitech Setpoint software?

    I noticed someone had mentioned Logitech Setpoint software. Well, I just installed that today and it so happens I just started getting the same error with the Ribbons screensaver today as well. I've found so far that closing the Setpoint tray icon seems to fix the problem.
    JR Smith, Apr 14, 2008
  16. Ryan

    mmmikezd Guest

    I have been getting the same thing for awhile and I just started lookin
    around for a solution and what I did was rename the ribbons.scr 236.

    the 236 one is the bad one. just rename the 236 one and put the 216 on
    in both the system32 and the syswow64 folders and the ribbons scree
    saver works again.

    I really do NOT think it has anything to do with Ligitek or what eve
    it is because it has been doing this on my computer and i have no se
    point installed on my computer but i do have the NVIDIA driver
    installed because i have a EVGA 8800GTS installed on my core 2 quad wit
    8 gig of ram computer.

    I would think it has something to do with the NVIDIA driver i guess.

    Mik

    --
    mmmikez
    mmmikezd's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/65716.ht

    http://forums.techarena.i
    mmmikezd, Sep 23, 2009
  17. Ryan

    Guest

    Re: new information

    Re: Ribbons.scr Screensaver

    Ryan,

    I think the problem with the ribbons.scr malfunction lies in one of the Microsoft Vista updates. I had to restore my laptop recently to the default factory configured state and the subject screensaver was working fine. Thenin the course of installing all the required Vista x64 updates, the screensaver started malfunctioning again just as it had been doing before the restore.

    Unfortunately, I cannot tell at which specific stage of the updates installation the problem began. But I am convinced that it is a Microsoft update-caused problem.

    FYI.

    Marc

    On Saturday, March 1, 2008 7:58:00 PM UTC-8, Ryan wrote:
> [...]
    > >
    > > Problem
    > > Stopped working
    > >
    > > Date
    > > 2/21/2008 6:51 PM
    > >
    > > Status
    > > Report Sent
    > >
    > > Problem signature
    > > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    > > Application Name: Ribbons.scr
    > > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    > > Application Timestamp: 4549bb4a
    > > Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    > > Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    > > Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d372
    > > Exception Code: c0000005
    > > Exception Offset: 0000000000053809
    > > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    > > Locale ID: 1033
    > > Additional Information 1: 6ccb
    > > Additional Information 2: d70b554a667f5d3274c86becb8627281
    > > Additional Information 3: b267
    > > Additional Information 4: 2a20c5e696c99db183736948d45868ba

    , Oct 7, 2013
  18. Ryan

    Guest

    This seems to work, Ryan. Try it.
    http://www.archivum.info/microsoft....-Ribbons-Screensaver-has-stopped-working.html

    On Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:08:00 PM UTC-8, Ryan wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a very odd problem. I love the Ribbons screensaver but since
    > installing Vista x64, any time it kicks in and is removed by a mouse move or
    > a key press, Vista says the "ribbons screensaver has stopped working" but has
    > no solutions for it.
    >
    > I've tried to google for answers but only found a few links to others with
    > the same problem with no apparent solution available.
    >
    > My PC is..
    >
    > Vista Ultimate x64
    > Asus P5K-E Wifi
    > Intel Core 2 Duo 8400
    > EVGA 8800GT 512mb
    >
    > not sure what else might be relevant. all drivers current as of the date of
    > this post.
    >
    > Here's the info I got about it from the Problem Reports and Solutions
    > control panel...
    >
    > Product
    > Ribbons Screen Saver
    >
    > Problem
    > Stopped working
    >
    > Date
    > 2/21/2008 6:51 PM
    >
    > Status
    > Report Sent
    >
    > Problem signature
    > Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
    > Application Name: Ribbons.scr
    > Application Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    > Application Timestamp: 4549bb4a
    > Fault Module Name: ntdll.dll
    > Fault Module Version: 6.0.6000.16386
    > Fault Module Timestamp: 4549d372
    > Exception Code: c0000005
    > Exception Offset: 0000000000053809
    > OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.256.1
    > Locale ID: 1033
    > Additional Information 1: 6ccb
    > Additional Information 2: d70b554a667f5d3274c86becb8627281
    > Additional Information 3: b267
    > Additional Information 4: 2a20c5e696c99db183736948d45868ba
    >
    > Extra information about the problem
    > Bucket ID: 206143
    >

    > thank you for any help,
    > Ryan