RIAA loses in court

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2003.

  1. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2003

  2. Craig Shore

    techie Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:48:09 -0600, Craig Shore wrote:

    > The RIAA no longer has the right to subpoena ISPs for users names
    > sharing it's content on P2P networks.
    >
    > http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3589046,00.html

    I love that closing quote. :)

    "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will
    now be less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who
    engage in illegal activity."

    techie, Dec 20, 2003

  3. Craig Shore

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:43:59 -0600, techie <>
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:48:09 -0600, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> The RIAA no longer has the right to subpoena ISPs for users names
    >> sharing it's content on P2P networks.
    >>
    >> http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3589046,00.html

    >I love that closing quote. :)
    >
    > "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will
    > now be less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who
    > engage in illegal activity."

    Yeah, it's just impossible for them to ask the ISP to send a warning
    letter on to their customer on the RIAAs behalf to settle out of court
    isn't it. There's just no other way than having the legal right to
    demand the information themselves.

    :)

    Craig Shore, Dec 20, 2003
  4. Craig Shore

    DUser Guest

    On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:43:59 -0600, techie wrote:

    > On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:48:09 -0600, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> The RIAA no longer has the right to subpoena ISPs for users names
    >> sharing it's content on P2P networks.
    >>
    >> http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3589046,00.html

    > I love that closing quote. :)
    >
    > "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will now be
    > less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who engage in
    > illegal activity."

    I prefer this one
    "Internet users are the winners in the Verizon case," said Electronic
    Frontier Foundation (EFF) Staff Attorney Wendy Seltzer. "The effect of the
    appeals court decision is that we do not lose our privacy simply by
    connecting to the Internet. The ruling stops the record labels from taking
    our free speech rights as collateral damage in the campaign against the
    American music fan."

    DUser, Dec 20, 2003
  5. Craig Shore

    Lebowski Guest

    "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:43:59 -0600, techie <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:48:09 -0600, Craig Shore wrote:
    > >
    > >> The RIAA no longer has the right to subpoena ISPs for users names
    > >> sharing it's content on P2P networks.
    > >>
    > >> http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3589046,00.html

    > >I love that closing quote. :)
    > >
    > > "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will
    > > now be less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who
    > > engage in illegal activity."

    > Yeah, it's just impossible for them to ask the ISP to send a warning
    > letter on to their customer on the RIAAs behalf to settle out of court
    > isn't it. There's just no other way than having the legal right to
    > demand the information themselves.
    >
    > :)

    So, how does this following headline fit into the current scheme of things?
    http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=38142

    Music industry will prosecute - "NZ music industry will prosecute kiwis who
    illegally download music- says many young NZers don't think it's wrong"

    Lebowski, Dec 21, 2003
  6. Craig Shore

    ChrisOD Guest

    In article <3fe54149$>,
    says...

    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    > > On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:43:59 -0600, techie <>
    > > wrote:

    > > >I love that closing quote. :)
    > > >
    > > > "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will
    > > > now be less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who
    > > > engage in illegal activity."

    > > Yeah, it's just impossible for them to ask the ISP to send a warning
    > > letter on to their customer on the RIAAs behalf to settle out of court
    > > isn't it. There's just no other way than having the legal right to
    > > demand the information themselves.
    > >
    > > :)
    > >

    > So, how does this following headline fit into the current scheme of things?
    > http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=38142
    >
    > Music industry will prosecute - "NZ music industry will prosecute kiwis who
    > illegally download music- says many young NZers don't think it's wrong"

    Fantastic business plan, sue your custimers or potential customers.
    I really can't see people taking a shine to it!

    --

    Chris

    ChrisOD, Dec 21, 2003
  7. Craig Shore

    DUser Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 18:38:17 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

    > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:43:59 -0600, techie <>
    >> wrote:

    >> >I love that closing quote. :)
    >> >
    >> > "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will
    >> > now be less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who
    >> > engage in illegal activity."

    >> Yeah, it's just impossible for them to ask the ISP to send a warning
    >> letter on to their customer on the RIAAs behalf to settle out of court
    >> isn't it. There's just no other way than having the legal right to
    >> demand the information themselves.
    >>
    >> :)
    >>

    > So, how does this following headline fit into the current scheme of things?
    > http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=38142
    >
    > Music industry will prosecute - "NZ music industry will prosecute kiwis who
    > illegally download music- says many young NZers don't think it's wrong"

    The change in interpretation of the subpoena provisions of the DMCA will
    make no difference in New Zealand.
    Michael Gladding will still have to shit or get off the pot.
    First the copyright holder will have to file an action for copyright
    infringement and then make a case for the court to subpoena information
    from the ISP. Rather than the reverse which has been possible for the RIAA
    in the US.

    DUser, Dec 21, 2003
  8. Craig Shore

    Lebowski Guest

    "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    > In article <3fe54149$>,
    > says...
    > >
    > > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    > > > Yeah, it's just impossible for them to ask the ISP to send a warning
    > > > letter on to their customer on the RIAAs behalf to settle out of court
    > > > isn't it. There's just no other way than having the legal right to
    > > > demand the information themselves.
    > > >
    > > > :)
    > > >

    > > So, how does this following headline fit into the current scheme of

    things?
    > > http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=38142
    > >
    > > Music industry will prosecute - "NZ music industry will prosecute kiwis

    who
    > > illegally download music- says many young NZers don't think it's wrong"
    > >

    > Fantastic business plan, sue your custimers or potential customers.
    > I really can't see people taking a shine to it!

    Considering Sony manufacture portable mp3 players and hi-fi systems that are
    aimed at consumers with hundreds of the "illegal" files people have ripped /
    downloaded, I find it an incredibly hypocritical stance on their part. They
    should be thanking the pirates for creating demand for their new product
    lines, not biting the hand they feed from..

    Lebowski, Dec 21, 2003
  9. Craig Shore

    DUser Guest

    On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:01:23 +1300, Lebowski wrote:

    > "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <3fe54149$>,
    >> says...
    >> >
    >> > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    >> > So, how does this following headline fit into the current scheme of

    > things?
    >> > http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=38142
    >> >
    >> > Music industry will prosecute - "NZ music industry will prosecute kiwis

    > who
    >> > illegally download music- says many young NZers don't think it's wrong"
    >> >

    >> Fantastic business plan, sue your custimers or potential customers.
    >> I really can't see people taking a shine to it!
    >>

    > Considering Sony manufacture portable mp3 players and hi-fi systems that are
    > aimed at consumers with hundreds of the "illegal" files people have ripped /
    > downloaded, I find it an incredibly hypocritical stance on their part. They
    > should be thanking the pirates for creating demand for their new product
    > lines, not biting the hand they feed from..

    You are complaining about action that the guy in charge of the record
    division has blustered about but not actually done anything about.
    At this stage his rhetoric is as empty as... well ...yours actually

    DUser, Dec 21, 2003
  10. Craig Shore

    Mutlley Guest

    DUser <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 09:43:59 -0600, techie wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 23:48:09 -0600, Craig Shore wrote:
    >>
    >>> The RIAA no longer has the right to subpoena ISPs for users names
    >>> sharing it's content on P2P networks.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.techtv.com/news/culture/story/0,24195,3589046,00.html

    >> I love that closing quote. :)
    >>
    >> "Verizon is solely responsible for a legal process that will now be
    >> less sensitive to the interests of its subscribers who engage in
    >> illegal activity."

    >I prefer this one
    >"Internet users are the winners in the Verizon case," said Electronic
    >Frontier Foundation (EFF) Staff Attorney Wendy Seltzer. "The effect of the
    >appeals court decision is that we do not lose our privacy simply by
    >connecting to the Internet. The ruling stops the record labels from taking
    >our free speech rights as collateral damage in the campaign against the
    >American music fan."

    However I bet the RIAA will go to George W and say we need this to
    help you combat the War on Terror and GW will give it to them..

    Mutlley, Dec 21, 2003
  11. Craig Shore

    Lebowski Guest

    "DUser" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 20:01:23 +1300, Lebowski wrote:
    >

    > > "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    > >> In article <3fe54149$>,
    > >> says...

    <>

    names

    warning

    court

    > > things?

    kiwis
    > > who

    wrong"

    > >> Fantastic business plan, sue your custimers or potential customers.
    > >> I really can't see people taking a shine to it!
    > >>

    > > Considering Sony manufacture portable mp3 players and hi-fi systems that

    are
    > > aimed at consumers with hundreds of the "illegal" files people have

    ripped /
    > > downloaded, I find it an incredibly hypocritical stance on their part.

    They
    > > should be thanking the pirates for creating demand for their new product
    > > lines, not biting the hand they feed from..

    > You are complaining about action that the guy in charge of the record
    > division has blustered about but not actually done anything about.
    > At this stage his rhetoric is as empty as... well ...yours actually

    well that's humanity for you :)

    Lebowski, Dec 22, 2003
  12. Craig Shore

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <3fe554c4$>,
    says...

    > "ChrisOD" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <3fe54149$>,
    > > says...
    > > >
    > > > "Craig Shore" <> wrote in message

    > > > So, how does this following headline fit into the current scheme of

    > things?
    > > > http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/default.asp?id=38142
    > > >
    > > > Music industry will prosecute - "NZ music industry will prosecute kiwis

    > who
    > > > illegally download music- says many young NZers don't think it's wrong"
    > > >

    > > Fantastic business plan, sue your custimers or potential customers.
    > > I really can't see people taking a shine to it!
    > >

    > Considering Sony manufacture portable mp3 players and hi-fi systems that are
    > aimed at consumers with hundreds of the "illegal" files people have ripped /
    > downloaded, I find it an incredibly hypocritical stance on their part. They
    > should be thanking the pirates for creating demand for their new product
    > lines, not biting the hand they feed from..

    Ah, sony's memory stick technology uses "magic gate" to prevent illegal
    copying

    Mainlander, Dec 26, 2003
  13. Craig Shore

    Lebowski Guest

    "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <3fe554c4$>,
    > says...

    > > things?

    kiwis
    > > who

    wrong"

    > > > Fantastic business plan, sue your custimers or potential customers.
    > > > I really can't see people taking a shine to it!
    > > >

    > > Considering Sony manufacture portable mp3 players and hi-fi systems that

    are
    > > aimed at consumers with hundreds of the "illegal" files people have

    ripped /
    > > downloaded, I find it an incredibly hypocritical stance on their part.

    They
    > > should be thanking the pirates for creating demand for their new product
    > > lines, not biting the hand they feed from..

    > Ah, sony's memory stick technology uses "magic gate" to prevent illegal
    > copying

    I'm not talking about memory sticks - Dick Smith and Noel Leeming have got
    "ordinary" black-coloured cd Sony Diskmans that play regular cds as well as
    mp3 compilation cds, and come complete with car kit. They're around the $279
    mark.

    Lebowski, Dec 26, 2003