    (seems silly)
    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 10, 2006

  2. Shane

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Anyone supporting this?
    > I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with Vixie
    > cron instead)
    > so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?

    Err RHEL5 or FC5?

    RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.

    FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
    indicate what will or won't be in the final product.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 10, 2006

  3. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with Vixie
    > cron instead)

    Are we talking about Fedora Core 5? In my services menu I see

    >cron is a standard UNIX program that runs user-specified programs at
    >periodic scheduled times. vixie cron adds a number of features to the
    >basic UNIX cron, including better security and more powerful
    >configuration options.

    available.

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Shane

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:

    > Anyone supporting this?
    > I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
    > Vixie cron instead)
    > so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron? (seems silly)

    Looks like you're right... I'm only running it on my lappie, and missed it.

    Have you tried yum install cron? Doesn't look like there an rpm available
    from redhat at least.

    Steve
    Steve, Apr 10, 2006
  5. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Anyone supporting this?
    >> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
    >> Vixie cron instead)
    >> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?

    > Err RHEL5 or FC5?
    >
    > RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.
    >
    > FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
    > indicate what will or won't be in the final product.
    >
    > Steve

    We're (work) supporting RHEL 4 and 5 .. and FC (something something) and
    Debian sarge 3.1 But in this case its def RHEL5 I had the issue with..

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 10, 2006
  6. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Steve wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone supporting this?
    >> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
    >> Vixie cron instead)
    >> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron? (seems silly)

    > Looks like you're right... I'm only running it on my lappie, and missed
    > it.
    >
    > Have you tried yum install cron? Doesn't look like there an rpm available
    > from redhat at least.
    >
    > Steve

    I used apt
    apt-cache search cron gave me no vanilla flavoured cron, so I installed
    vixie(after checking with boss + client) and that did the trick
    Still seems odd Red Hat havent put a vanilla cron out, would be the first
    thing most people want wouldnt it?
    Next chance I get I'll look at yums repositories

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 10, 2006
  7. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
    >> Vixie cron instead)

    > Are we talking about Fedora Core 5? In my services menu I see
    >
    >>cron is a standard UNIX program that runs user-specified programs at
    >>periodic scheduled times. vixie cron adds a number of features to the
    >>basic UNIX cron, including better security and more powerful
    >>configuration options.

    > available.

    Heh.. I wish
    Def RHEL5
    It is *odd* that its missing though

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 10, 2006
  8. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >
    >> Shane wrote:
    >>> Anyone supporting this?
    >>> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went
    >>> with Vixie cron instead)
    >>> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron?

    >> Err RHEL5 or FC5?
    >>
    >> RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.
    >>
    >> FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
    >> indicate what will or won't be in the final product.

    > We're (work) supporting RHEL 4 and 5 .. and FC (something something)
    > and Debian sarge 3.1 But in this case its def RHEL5 I had the issue
    > with..

    I don't know how you *can* be supporting RHEL 5. It hasn't been released
    yet. The current version of RHEL is 4.

    Chris Hope, Apr 10, 2006
  9. Shane

    Tony Guest

    > Heh.. I wish
    > Def RHEL5
    > It is *odd* that its missing though

    Dude RHEL5 does not exist yet, are you talking about Redhat 5.2 or
    Redhat 5.0 by any chance ? "Redhat x.x" pre-dates RHEL and Fedora.
    Tony, Apr 10, 2006
  10. Shane

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Steve wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:24:34 +1200, Shane wrote:
    > >
    > >> Anyone supporting this?
    > >> I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
    > >> Vixie cron instead)
    > >> so.. was it just me.. or have red hat dropped cron? (seems silly)

    > > Looks like you're right... I'm only running it on my lappie, and missed
    > > it.
    > >
    > > Have you tried yum install cron? Doesn't look like there an rpm available
    > > from redhat at least.
    > >
    > > Steve

    > I used apt
    > apt-cache search cron gave me no vanilla flavoured cron, so I installed
    > vixie(after checking with boss + client) and that did the trick
    > Still seems odd Red Hat havent put a vanilla cron out, would be the first
    > thing most people want wouldnt it?
    > Next chance I get I'll look at yums repositories

    Provide the output of the following commands

    uname -a

    cat /etc/redhat-release

    Then we can be sure what OS version you are running.

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 11, 2006
  11. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Chris Hope wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >
    >> Steven Ellis wrote:

    >>> Err RHEL5 or FC5?
    >>>
    >>> RHEL5 isn't out yet. Might be out by the end of the year.
    >>>
    >>> FC5 (ie Fedora Core 5) is the test bed for RHEL5 but doesn't always
    >>> indicate what will or won't be in the final product.

    >> We're (work) supporting RHEL 4 and 5 .. and FC (something something)
    >> and Debian sarge 3.1 But in this case its def RHEL5 I had the issue
    >> with..

    > I don't know how you *can* be supporting RHEL 5. It hasn't been released
    > yet. The current version of RHEL is 4.

    Bugger I could be way off :\
    I cant go back to the machine so have no idea...
    we'll call it rhel 4 if that makes it better.. but still no cron package
    ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 11, 2006
  12. Shane

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Chris Hope wrote:
    >
    > > Shane wrote:

    > >> We're (work) supporting RHEL 4 and 5 .. and FC (something something)
    > >> and Debian sarge 3.1 But in this case its def RHEL5 I had the issue
    > >> with..

    > > I don't know how you *can* be supporting RHEL 5. It hasn't been released
    > > yet. The current version of RHEL is 4.
    > >

    > Bugger I could be way off :\
    > I cant go back to the machine so have no idea...
    > we'll call it rhel 4 if that makes it better.. but still no cron package
    > ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

    Haven't you noticed "vixie-cron-4.1-20_EL.src.rpm"
    Try running
    "up2date -i vixie-cron"

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 11, 2006
  13. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Chris Hope wrote:

    >> > I don't know how you *can* be supporting RHEL 5. It hasn't been
    >> > released yet. The current version of RHEL is 4.
    >> >

    >> Bugger I could be way off :\
    >> I cant go back to the machine so have no idea...
    >> we'll call it rhel 4 if that makes it better.. but still no cron package
    >> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

    > Haven't you noticed "vixie-cron-4.1-20_EL.src.rpm"
    > Try running
    > "up2date -i vixie-cron"
    >
    > Steve

    er.. reread my OP

    Shane, Apr 11, 2006
  14. Shane

    Steve Guest

    On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:44:19 +1200, Tony wrote:

    >> Heh.. I wish
    >> Def RHEL5
    >> It is *odd* that its missing though
    >>

    > Dude RHEL5 does not exist yet, are you talking about Redhat 5.2 or Redhat
    > 5.0 by any chance ? "Redhat x.x" pre-dates RHEL and Fedora.

    Hey - get out of the 90's
    Steve, Apr 11, 2006
  15. Shane

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:49:08 -0700, Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Haven't you noticed "vixie-cron-4.1-20_EL.src.rpm" Try running
    > "up2date -i vixie-cron"
    >
    > Steve

    Quick isn't he?
    Steve, Apr 11, 2006
  16. Shane

    Steven Ellis Guest

    Shane wrote:
    > Steven Ellis wrote:
    >

    > > Shane wrote:

    > >> Bugger I could be way off :\
    > >> I cant go back to the machine so have no idea...
    > >> we'll call it rhel 4 if that makes it better.. but still no cron package
    > >> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/4/en/os/i386/SRPMS/

    > > Haven't you noticed "vixie-cron-4.1-20_EL.src.rpm"
    > > Try running
    > > "up2date -i vixie-cron"
    > >
    > > Steve

    > er.. reread my OP
    > "I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with Vixie
    > cron instead)"

    Ok and the problem with vixie-cron is?

    Redhat have always shipped vixie-cron on their enterprise distros. I've
    got RHEL2.1 and RHEL3 boxes all running vixie-cron

    Steve
    Steven Ellis, Apr 11, 2006
  17. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Steven Ellis wrote:

    > Shane wrote:
    >> Steven Ellis wrote:

    >> > Haven't you noticed "vixie-cron-4.1-20_EL.src.rpm"
    >> > Try running
    >> > "up2date -i vixie-cron"
    >> >
    >> > Steve

    >> er.. reread my OP
    >> "I went to install cron on one and damn thing didnt have it (went with
    >> Vixie cron instead)"

    > Ok and the problem with vixie-cron is?
    >
    > Redhat have always shipped vixie-cron on their enterprise distros. I've
    > got RHEL2.1 and RHEL3 boxes all running vixie-cron
    >
    > Steve

    wheres the vanilla cron?
    thats what I was asking from the start

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 11, 2006
  18. On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:15:17 +1200, Shane wrote:

    >> Redhat have always shipped vixie-cron on their enterprise distros. I've
    >> got RHEL2.1 and RHEL3 boxes all running vixie-cron
    >>
    >> Steve

    > wheres the vanilla cron?
    > thats what I was asking from the start

    What's the advantages for cron over vixie-cron?

    --
    Regards,

    Waylon Kenning.
    Waylon Kenning, Apr 11, 2006
  19. Shane

    Shane Guest

    Waylon Kenning wrote:

    > On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 18:15:17 +1200, Shane wrote:
    >
    >>> Redhat have always shipped vixie-cron on their enterprise distros. I've
    >>> got RHEL2.1 and RHEL3 boxes all running vixie-cron
    >>>
    >>> Steve

    >> wheres the vanilla cron?
    >> thats what I was asking from the start

    > What's the advantages for cron over vixie-cron?

    ones stock.. everyone knows about it...cron
    vixie has additional features.. making it betterer
    ones the bog standard everyone knows (vanilla)
    and one reeks of different and unknown (fear of the unknown)

    --
    Rule 6: There is no Rule 6.
    Shane, Apr 11, 2006
  20. Shane

    Chris Hope Guest

    Shane wrote:

    > Waylon Kenning wrote:

    >>> wheres the vanilla cron?
    >>> thats what I was asking from the start

    >> What's the advantages for cron over vixie-cron?

    > ones stock.. everyone knows about it...cron
    > vixie has additional features.. making it betterer
    > ones the bog standard everyone knows (vanilla)
    > and one reeks of different and unknown (fear of the unknown)

    Isn't the basic structure just the same/compatible with plain old cron?
    If so, you don't have to use the additional features and it shouldn't
    be any different. I use fcron myself on my servers and it's compatible
    plain old cron - you wouldn't even know it wasn't cron if you were just
    a regular user because crontab is symlinked to fcrontab.

    Chris Hope, Apr 11, 2006