RGB to S-video converter for using HDTV as computer monitor?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Mackie, Feb 25, 2009.

  1. Mackie

    Mackie Guest

    A pal of mine with low sales resistance went out and against advice,
    bought a Wal-Mart special; an HP Pavilion "Slimline" with No S-video
    and HDMI outputs. According to the specifications for this HP S3713W,
    the video/graphics are all on the motherboard . . .

    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...39&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3870526

    Furthermore, though there is in her "Slimline" one available slot
    provided to accept a "replacement" graphics card (for whichever model
    would have such a card) according to the manual, it will accept only
    "low profile" cards, and even at that they warn it still might not
    fit, so as to allow the inputs and outputs be exposed at the opening.
    And since for her computer, this would not be a card replacement,
    those "cables" and plugs they refer to would be who-knows-where on the
    motherboard, or even hard-wired to it.

    So now I'm wondering about something like this RGB to S-video
    converter . . .

    http://www.js-technology.com/product_info.php?products_id=34

    My friend is largely blind, but she can see images and text on a large
    screen. My question is this: would such a converter enable video
    output from her computer to a large 42" LCD HDTV--and if so, would the
    mouse function be operative on that large screen same as on the 19"
    LCD monitor that came with her computer? Most importantly, would she
    get a full 42" display of her desktop and applications?

    Sure hope somebody can help. I'd really like to be able to bring her
    some good news, despite her screw-up. She got it cheap! Maybe she can
    have her "BigASS TV" computer monitor and keep eating cake too?
    --
    JM

    Mackie, Feb 25, 2009

  2. Mackie

    almostbob Guest

    many lcdtv have a vga port as well as hdmi & svideo hiding somewhere, if it
    does its just a connector cable from local geekstore to do the connection, &
    yes you should be able to set it a full 42 inch wide, & mouse etc works

    --
    _ _

    almostbob, Feb 25, 2009

  3. Mackie

    Just Me Guest

    On Feb 24, 10:44 pm, "almostbob" <> wrote:
    > many lcdtv have a vga port as well as hdmi & svideo hiding somewhere, if it
    > does its just a connector cable from local geekstore to do the connection, &
    > yes you should be able to set it a full 42 inch wide, & mouse etc works

    Ah, Great! Thanks a bunch AlmostBob.
    --
    JM
    http://jpdavid.blogspot.com/