RFI: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by News Reader, Dec 7, 2006.

  1. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Hi,

    Please, forgive my enquiring on this point (again), however, I am now quite
    seriously thinking about switching to a primary VoIP ATA configuration and
    wish to try and identify the best (priced) all UK landline calls inclusive
    VoIP operator, supplier, package, etc.

    Please advise all known candidates - emphasising those which are cheap cheap
    cheap (!) - lol.

    Please be aware - that I am interested in genuinely unlimited (albeit
    accepting a fair use limitation - but not Betamax 300 minutes) UK landline
    calls packages. I am aware of Vonage and am not impressed by their price.

    I really appreciate and look forward to your input(s).

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Dec 7, 2006

  2. News Reader

    News Reader Guest

    Re: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

    One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages is
    that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish to be
    able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
    dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.

    I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make much
    greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
    comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this case -
    because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become the
    limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many 100s of
    calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
    appropriate and fair use of course).

    Thanks in advance.

    BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel inclined
    to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something different
    or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage profile
    [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend calls]).

    News Reader, Dec 7, 2006

  3. News Reader

    Paul Cupis Guest

    News Reader wrote:
    > One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages is
    > that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish to be
    > able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
    > dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.
    >
    > I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make much
    > greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
    > comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this case -
    > because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become the
    > limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many 100s of
    > calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
    > appropriate and fair use of course).
    >
    > Thanks in advance.
    >
    > BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel inclined
    > to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something different
    > or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage profile
    > [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend calls]).

    I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
    for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
    demand.

    You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
    in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    "unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    Paul Cupis, Dec 7, 2006
  4. Re: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - RoundUp

    Paul Cupis wrote:

    > You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    > usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
    > in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    > "unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    > company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    For all their sins, I was using TalkTalk 3 (unlimited free calls) with
    per/second billing on chargeable calls for ony as few quid a month more
    than vonage. (plus obligatory line rental of course)

    I think the OP is having a bit of a laff. Besides, who wants to talk for
    more than 5 hours a week anyway, and even after 5hrs in 7 days the p/cal
    rate is still the best there is from the .com service IMHO.

    http://gymratz.co.uk/polar-heart-rate-monitors/ Polar HeartRate Monitors
    http://water-rower.co.uk - Worlds best prices on the Worlds best Rower.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Pet_=40_www=2Egymratz=2Eco=2Euk_, Dec 7, 2006
  5. News Reader

    Brian A Guest

    Re: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

    On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    wrote:

    >News Reader wrote:
    >> One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages is
    >> that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish to be
    >> able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
    >> dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.
    >>
    >> I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make much
    >> greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
    >> comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this case -
    >> because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become the
    >> limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many 100s of
    >> calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
    >> appropriate and fair use of course).
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel inclined
    >> to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something different
    >> or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage profile
    >> [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend calls]).

    >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
    >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
    >demand.
    >
    >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
    >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
    Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
    comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
    Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for £8/month.
    At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
    There's £2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
    duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
    voip.co.uk
    Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
    sea.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Dec 7, 2006
  6. News Reader

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >News Reader wrote:
    > >> One extra word (or two lol): the basis or reason for unlimited packages

    is
    > >> that the amount of use made depends on the marginal cost - i.e. I wish

    to be
    > >> able to talk for longer, and make more calls - without having to be
    > >> dissuaded, perturbed etc. by the cost.
    > >>
    > >> I.e. the usage requirement is for a service that will allow me to make

    much
    > >> greater use of the phone - both number and duration of calls. Hence, a
    > >> comparison to per call or minute tariff is probably useless in this

    case -
    > >> because the whole point is that by being unlimited the sky can become

    the
    > >> limit and permit the much much higher usage I would like (e.g. many

    100s of
    > >> calls or thousands of minutes per month) (with respect to reasonable,
    > >> appropriate and fair use of course).
    > >>
    > >> Thanks in advance.
    > >>
    > >> BTW: This addendum essentially for the benefit of those that feel

    inclined
    > >> to recommend or suggest other non-unlimited scenarios (something

    different
    > >> or new in this category is welcomed - but bear in mind the usage

    profile
    > >> [above & which includes plenty of both day, evening and weekend

    calls]).

    > >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
    > >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
    > >demand.
    > >
    > >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    > >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
    > >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    > >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    > >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    > I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
    > Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
    > comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
    > Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for £8/month.
    > At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
    > There's £2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
    > duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
    > voip.co.uk
    > Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
    > sea.
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Hi,

    All good points - all welcomed and all appreciated.

    I think you are all right.

    The reality may be either paying a little more for the unlimited package or
    try to constrain usage somewhat and go with a per call / per minute
    approach.

    I think perhaps the Betamax swim is the best offer presently.

    Thanks once again - all further input and suggestions appreciated.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Dec 7, 2006
  7. News Reader

    Paul Cupis Guest

    Brian A wrote:
    > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > wrote:

    >> You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    >> usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
    >> in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    >> "unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    >> company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    > I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
    > Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
    > comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.

    It was an analogy.

    Paul Cupis, Dec 7, 2006
  8. News Reader

    andy Guest

    News Reader wrote:
    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > > >
    > > >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
    > > >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they will
    > > >demand.
    > > >
    > > >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    > > >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the telco -
    > > >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    > > >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    > > >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    > > I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
    > > Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
    > > comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
    > > Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for £8/month.
    > > At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
    > > There's £2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
    > > duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
    > > voip.co.uk
    > > Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
    > > sea.

    > The reality may be either paying a little more for the unlimited package or
    > try to constrain usage somewhat and go with a per call / per minute
    > approach.
    >
    > I think perhaps the Betamax swim is the best offer presently.
    >
    > Thanks once again - all further input and suggestions appreciated.

    I don't know how much vastly increased chatting you are intending, but
    I'd have thought one or two Finarea/Betamax deals or the Voip.co.uk

    Temporarily, there is Babble's FreeB (trial?) offer, which is of 30
    minutes a day for a one-off starter fee of £1.50, paid by p-sms. Don't
    know how long it will last but they said -
    "There are no plans at present to close the FreeB promotion, and all
    users that sign up for FreeB will be given at least three months notice
    when we do decide to stop the promotion. "

    Several Australian ones with per call fees (up to an hour), like
    Astratel and others I'd have to look up ...

    Of course, you should persuade the people you call most to adopt VoIP
    as well, and use peering for free calls. The thing is, friends will
    think you're talking about Skype ...

    andy, Dec 8, 2006
  9. News Reader

    "andy" <> wrote in message

    News Reader wrote:
    > "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > > On Thu, 07 Dec 2006 18:34:37 +0000, Paul Cupis <>
    > > >
    > > >I'm sure there are companies who will offer you an "unlimited" service
    > > >for a fixed monthly cost, but you won't want to pay the prices they

    will
    > > >demand.
    > > >
    > > >You are asking to pay a fixed price for a product and described your
    > > >usage to suggest that you will be running up large bills for the

    telco -
    > > >in the same way that you will have a hard time getting a cheap
    > > >"unlimited" broadband service, you will find it difficult to find a
    > > >company willing to subsidise your telephone calls.

    > > I'm trying to get my head round just what you are looking for.
    > > Paul mentions something about broadband - I don't know where that
    > > comes into the equation so I may have missed something here.
    > > Unlimited Voip is supposedly offerd by Vonage for £8/month.
    > > At 2p/call to UK, US and Europe you have Vyke.co.uk.
    > > There's £2/month for inclusive UK off peak calls (up to an hour in
    > > duration per call) and 2p/call at peak (again max 1hr/call) there is
    > > voip.co.uk
    > > Afaik they are the cheapest unless you wish the swim in the Betamax
    > > sea.

    > The reality may be either paying a little more for the unlimited package

    or
    > try to constrain usage somewhat and go with a per call / per minute
    > approach.
    >
    > I think perhaps the Betamax swim is the best offer presently.
    >
    > Thanks once again - all further input and suggestions appreciated.

    I don't know how much vastly increased chatting you are intending, but
    I'd have thought one or two Finarea/Betamax deals or the Voip.co.uk

    Temporarily, there is Babble's FreeB (trial?) offer, which is of 30
    minutes a day for a one-off starter fee of £1.50, paid by p-sms. Don't
    know how long it will last but they said -
    "There are no plans at present to close the FreeB promotion, and all
    users that sign up for FreeB will be given at least three months notice
    when we do decide to stop the promotion. "

    Several Australian ones with per call fees (up to an hour), like
    Astratel and others I'd have to look up ...

    Of course, you should persuade the people you call most to adopt VoIP
    as well, and use peering for free calls. The thing is, friends will
    think you're talking about Skype ...

    ---

    Oh how I love when OE decides to not bother indenting ;)... anyhoo...

    I agree with your general points. Certainly, a great and nice idea to move
    all onto VoIP with peering - I am sure with e164, etc. soon enough we will
    all be able to dial without needing to know provider, etc. (The main issue
    here is calling business / organisations - a little hard to persuade them
    all [especially the ones I don't yet know I will want or need to contact or
    that I will ever want or need to contact again] to move to or include VoIP
    access routes ! :) ).

    However, the particular issue here is essentially:

    - calling companies / organisations - call pattern generated - combinations
    of multiple short calls and multiple long calls - i.e. either short due to a
    problem, menu mistake, etc. or long due to a queue or slightly longer or
    more complicated query

    Thus - without having to be concerned by per call cost or call length
    issues - a great deal more can potentially be done without needing to
    consider marginal cost, etc. It is like an enabling factor / an enabler - if
    you can make that / those extra call without having to think to much about
    it so much the better, etc.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    P.s. I may look at some of those flag fall type operators (as you suggest
    many of whom seem to operate out of Australia).
    P.p.s. As you otherwise suggest, and others have suggested, a number of
    Betamax accounts may help - just a little bit of faff, and you never which
    destination / credit term will vary next and with multiple accounts at stake
    the risk exposure is slightly greater - but with the advent of the options
    as per my recent posts, this may not be such an issue really!
    P.p.p.s. I am sure I found a few other genuine unlimited calls package
    operators on the VoIP side before - I think every time I find them (or I am
    imagining it all) it is between these posts and I fail to (remember to?)
    make a record. It is slightly strange, as their seem to be an increasing
    number of PSTN operators (with their far greater fixed and incumbent costs)
    now effectively charging around the £3 - 5 per month mark for their UK
    unlimited calls packages (so with VoIP - remote termination POPs and only
    having to pay for half the leg you would have thought more would be popping
    up providing this or would be available, etc. - still perhaps it is a little
    early days yet :) ). Best wishes :) .

    News Reader, Dec 8, 2006
  10. News Reader

    Brian A Guest

    Re: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

    On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 02:51:31 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    wrote:

> [...]

    >access routes ! :) ).
    >
    >However, the particular issue here is essentially:
    >
    > - calling companies / organisations - call pattern generated - combinations
    >of multiple short calls and multiple long calls - i.e. either short due to a
    >problem, menu mistake, etc. or long due to a queue or slightly longer or
    >more complicated query
    >
    >Thus - without having to be concerned by per call cost or call length
    >issues - a great deal more can potentially be done without needing to
    >consider marginal cost, etc. It is like an enabling factor / an enabler - if
    >you can make that / those extra call without having to think to much about
    >it so much the better, etc.
    >

    >Best wishes,
    >

    >News Reader
    >

    >P.s. I may look at some of those flag fall type operators (as you suggest
    >many of whom seem to operate out of Australia).

    I use Astratel. Very good call quality.
    I also now use Vyke, early days yet but it seems to be OK.

    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Dec 8, 2006
  11. News Reader

    å Guest

    Re: Unlimited [UK landline] Calls VoIP Providers & Packages - Round Up

    On Fri, 08 Dec 2006 11:01:19 GMT, Brian A wrote:

    [snip long quote]

    >I use Astratel. Very good call quality.
    > I also now use Vyke, early days yet but it seems to be OK.

    Would it be possible for you to trim the quote before adding your
    couple of lines?

    å, Dec 8, 2006
  12. News Reader

    "Brian A" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 8 Dec 2006 02:51:31 -0000, "News Reader" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >"andy" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > >News Reader wrote:
    > >> "Brian A" <> wrote in message

    service

    > >will

    > >telco -

    < SNIP >

    > >News Reader
    > >

    > >P.s. I may look at some of those flag fall type operators (as you suggest
    > >many of whom seem to operate out of Australia).

    > I use Astratel. Very good call quality.
    > I also now use Vyke, early days yet but it seems to be OK.
    >
    > Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Hi,

    Great. Thanks.

    I thought that some people would take up and try Vyke soon enough. Good to
    hear - and that it seems ok :) .

    Keep us posted.

    I will have a look at Astratel.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Dec 8, 2006
  13. News Reader

    Loz Guest

    Brian A wrote:

    > I use Astratel. Very good call quality.
    > I also now use Vyke, early days yet but it seems to be OK.

    I had a look at Vyke's website. I noticed they do SMS for 1.07p a
    message (i.e: half the price of even smsbug)

    Have you by any chance tried the SMS feature? Is it reliable?

    Loz, Dec 10, 2006
  14. News Reader

    "Loz" <> wrote in message
    > Brian A wrote:
    >
    > > I use Astratel. Very good call quality.
    > > I also now use Vyke, early days yet but it seems to be OK.

    > I had a look at Vyke's website. I noticed they do SMS for 1.07p a
    > message (i.e: half the price of even smsbug)
    >
    > Have you by any chance tried the SMS feature? Is it reliable?

    Hi,

    Wow - that is pretty sweet!

    Better and better ! :)

    Lets see how it plays out - they look like a good outfit (reply to
    communications, etc.). If the prices remain - they could be a very good
    option.

    Best wishes,

    News Reader

    News Reader, Dec 11, 2006