RFI HD/Blue Ray DVD's

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Jack Hammond, Sep 16, 2006.

  1. Jack Hammond

    Jack Hammond Guest

    Jack Hammond, Sep 16, 2006

  2. Jack Hammond

    Philip Guest

    Jack Hammond wrote:

    > How bad can the world get, only when the US tries to run it..
    >

    > A new region code tracking chip to fight piracy?
    >
    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13962
    >
    > http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2164309/embedded-dvd-chip-fights-piracy
    >

    > Take the fact that its been reported that the take up of HD DVD's and players are very low, due
    > to the Very high prices and 2 Standards, this will only make the price go higher..
    >
    > http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_hi_te/high_def_dvd

    Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
    They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
    control. Thouse the MPAA oikes to include playing a disk outside the
    region code area as "oiracy", even when you bougzt it with your money
    and are watching it in your home on your player.

    There's quite strong evidence that region codes are against the TRIPS
    agreement that governs copyright in WIPO member nations.

    Fortunately, here in New Zealand region codes are routinely ignored, and
    most DVD players sold are programnmed to ignore them. Our copyright law
    doesn't enforce region codes, and neither does the law in Australia.

    For those with a player that isn't already region code free, I recommend
    a visit to www.slysoft.com, www.dvdidle.com or www.videohelp.com.

    It's ludicrous that you should have to go to these lengths, and possibly
    spend good money, to watch something you've legitimately bought. When
    will the content companies realise that their region codes, compulsory
    threats and unskippable trailers are a huge incentive to people to copy
    their products so they don't have to put up with all the bullshit?

    Philip
    http://puriri.blogspot.com/

    ..

    Philip, Sep 16, 2006

  3. Jack Hammond

    Earl Grey Guest

    Philip wrote:
    > Jack Hammond wrote:
    >>

    >> How bad can the world get, only when the US tries to run it..
    >>

    >> A new region code tracking chip to fight piracy?
    >>
    >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13962
    >>
    >> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2164309/embedded-dvd-chip-fights-piracy
    >>

    >> Take the fact that its been reported that the take up of HD DVD's
    >> and players are very low, due
    >> to the Very high prices and 2 Standards, this will only make the
    >> price go higher..
    >>
    >> http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_hi_te/high_def_dvd

    > Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
    > They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
    > control. Thouse the MPAA oikes to include playing a disk outside the
    > region code area as "oiracy", even when you bougzt it with your money
    > and are watching it in your home on your player.
    >
    > There's quite strong evidence that region codes are against the TRIPS
    > agreement that governs copyright in WIPO member nations.
    >
    > Fortunately, here in New Zealand region codes are routinely ignored, and
    > most DVD players sold are programnmed to ignore them. Our copyright law
    > doesn't enforce region codes, and neither does the law in Australia.
    >
    > For those with a player that isn't already region code free, I recommend
    > a visit to www.slysoft.com, www.dvdidle.com or www.videohelp.com.
    >
    > It's ludicrous that you should have to go to these lengths, and possibly
    > spend good money, to watch something you've legitimately bought. When
    > will the content companies realise that their region codes, compulsory
    > threats and unskippable trailers are a huge incentive to people to copy
    > their products so they don't have to put up with all the bullshit?
    >
    > Philip
    > http://puriri.blogspot.com/

    Here's another nice piece of RIANZ puke making bullshite
    If you go to pay a ppnz levy for playing music on your commercial
    premises via the online form
    http://www.rianz.org.nz/rianz/ppnz_form_publicperformancelicenses.asp
    you are invited to fill in the details via a series of dropdown boxes
    which include own cd/dvd, own ipod/hd, own jukebox, 3rd party jukebox,
    3rd party ipod/hd.
    If you go to the FAQ you will find the following
    <quote>
    Can I use my iPod or computer in a commercial environment?

    Transferring digital copies of sound recordings onto a hard drive or
    portable device such as an iPod for use in a commercial environment is
    illegal. Only original sound recordings (e.g. CDs), radio/TV or digital
    music players sourced from licensed CSPs (see Compilation Service
    Provider link at left) can be used.
    </quote>

    Its not an option on the online form, its entrapment, a pondscum lowlife
    gotcha !

    They are wankers, and to cooperate with them in any way only serves to
    encourage this sort of disrespect for their customers.
    Copyright royalties are used to fund these jerks, not to pay the artists

    </rant>

    Earl Grey, Sep 16, 2006
  4. Jack Hammond

    Mad.Mutt Guest

    Philip wrote:

    > Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
    > They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
    > control.

    That is totally and utterly CORRECT!

    It's about extracting as many dollars as each econmic region will allow,
    and about preventing the free trade of legitimate discs from poorer
    economies to wealthier ones.

    They could sell discs globally for a dollar or two, and in so doing
    eliminate any advantage or desire to pirate content, but no, they jack
    up their prices to the maximum the market will tolerate, and then they
    bitch about piracy and attempt to limit our other freedoms to stop piracy.

    There was talk some time back of embedding content protection firmware
    on hard disc drives, so that every damned file trasfer you make gets
    inspected and either approved or denied according to some code the
    mega-corporates have embedded into your system.

    Incredible as it seems, blank CDs already have a built in surcharge of
    about NZ$0.10 which goes straight to the record companies simply on the
    assumption that all people (pirates or not) must pay to compensate them
    for the piracy that goes on.

    Should book publishers get a cut on all blank paper sold?
    Should printers and copiers / inks and toners all be jacked up to
    support copyright of others?

    Should cameras and photographic films be taxed because they can
    duplicate other works?

    My pen can violate copyright too - add a few more dollars to the cost of
    a box of pens or pencils!

    The RIAA, and it's associated groups are all just a bunch of thieves who
    are massaging the laws to suit their own endless demands, and their
    greed knows no end.

    Mad.Mutt, Sep 16, 2006
  5. Jack Hammond

    GraB Guest

    On Sat, 16 Sep 2006 15:35:46 +1200, "Mad.Mutt"
    <> wrote:

    >Philip wrote:
    >

    >> Region codes are a scam to allow content companies to hike their prices.
    >> They claim it's about piracy, it's not, and never has been. It's about
    >> control.

    >That is totally and utterly CORRECT!
    >
    >It's about extracting as many dollars as each econmic region will allow,
    >and about preventing the free trade of legitimate discs from poorer
    >economies to wealthier ones.
    >
    >They could sell discs globally for a dollar or two, and in so doing
    >eliminate any advantage or desire to pirate content, but no, they jack
    >up their prices to the maximum the market will tolerate, and then they
    >bitch about piracy and attempt to limit our other freedoms to stop piracy.

    Spot on. In China, Warner Brothers dropped the price of their DVDs to
    $1.50 each to combat piracy. http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/13335 . It
    has long been my contention that they should do that worldwide. They
    don't need to drop it that far, even cutting prices to a third of
    present prices would be a huge step in the right direction. Off
    course they would have to ramp up production at least fourfold and
    would sell heaps more, won't have to spend a fortune on encryption and
    other anti-piracy measures, and still make lots of money, but they
    don't seem able to understand that.

    They should also stop the questionable tactics of releasing some
    titles for limited seasons only, such as the new version of Blade
    Runner, which was to go on sale for four months only. I lost the link
    to that story, but some studios release only limited numbers of some
    titles, especially older titles, which can be very hard to get though
    the market is there if they would make them available in sufficient
    quantities.

    GraB, Sep 16, 2006
  6. Jack Hammond

    Guest Guest

    "Mad.Mutt" <> wrote in message

    > They could sell discs globally for a dollar or two, and in so doing
    > eliminate any advantage or desire to pirate content, but no, they jack
    > up their prices to the maximum the market will tolerate, and then they
    > bitch about piracy and attempt to limit our other freedoms to stop piracy.
    >
    > Incredible as it seems, blank CDs already have a built in surcharge of
    > about NZ$0.10 which goes straight to the record companies simply on the
    > assumption that all people (pirates or not) must pay to compensate them
    > for the piracy that goes on.

    A bit of history: at one time there was a proposal to put a surcharge on all
    blank cassette tapes, on the knowledge that most would be used for breaching
    copyright. Until one manufacturer announced his plans to prerecord all his
    tapes during manufacturing with a tune already out of copyright.

    Another bit: the DVD players on the ISS were originally compliant with the
    regional coding. But with astro-/cosmo-/taikonauts from all over the place
    they bough a bypass kit from Tottenham Court Rd and fitted it.

    Michael

    Guest, Sep 17, 2006