    for Comment) numbers and what they are for? Also are there many questions
    where you have to be able to say what various acronyms stand for, e.g. SNMP,
    NAQC.

    G. Orme, Jan 18, 2004

  2. G. Orme

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "G. Orme" <> wrote in
    news:400abdd6$0$14479$:

    > Are there many questions where you have to know the different RFC
    > (Request for Comment) numbers and what they are for? Also are there
    > many questions where you have to be able to say what various acronyms
    > stand for, e.g. SNMP, NAQC.

    i have taked 7 ms exams, and i honestly can't rememeber ever seeing any
    question on RFC #'s and/or their meaning.

    i dont remember any acronym questions either.

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    I am Against-TCPA

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 18, 2004

  3. I agree with Rowdy (oh, the humanity!) about the RFC's. In some cases you
    need to know what the acronym does, but not what it stands for. IMHO, take
    it from this SOB FWIW, and hopefully you won't be SOL(FLW).

    --
    RL (BMF) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT
    NorthEast Ohio

    RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT, Jan 18, 2004
  4. G. Orme

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    "RL \(Bob\) Coppedge, MCSE/MCT" <> wrote in

    > I agree with Rowdy (oh, the humanity!)

    hey, i am human!? go figure?

    about the RFC's. In some cases
    > you need to know what the acronym does, but not what it stands for.
    > IMHO, take it from this SOB FWIW, and hopefully you won't be SOL(FLW).

    i was referring specifically to Microsft exam's. I did CompTIA exam's, i
    rememebr that they did have questions in the shape of "what does ABC stand
    for?"

    on a personal note, one of my superior "system admin" senior boss dudes
    didn't know what MAC was short for when we were talking about NIC's and had
    to ask me. i think that's kind of embarrasing. so, it's probably a good
    idea to familiarize oneself with the most common RFC's, acronyms, ports
    e.t.c... you don't want to be asking people if the field to teach you.

    :)
    --
    Rowdy Yates
    I am Against-TCPA

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 18, 2004
  5. G. Orme

    G. Orme Guest

    Thanks. Also how important is it to know what is on various menus. For
    example if you were setting up an RRAS server you could find all of the
    buttons with a bit of a search.

    Do they ask things like is the X button on the Y menu or the Z menu, and is
    it on the top or bottom of the menu?

    G. Orme, Jan 19, 2004
  6. G. Orme

    Japes Guest

    I hate TLA's :)

    --
    Regards

    Japes
    Have you found any Celestine Insights in your life yet?
    When replying by email put STARWARS in the subject line, otherwise its
    automatically deleted.

    Japes, Jan 19, 2004
  7. G. Orme

    Rowdy Yates Guest

    yes, there are questions on "menus". they are testing your knowledge of
    microsoft products, so familiarity with what options and menus are
    available with what product is vilid questioning material.

    i highly recommend you get a evaluation copy of the server product,
    create a test pc and do the stuff in the book in real life so you get
    quasi-hands on experience.

    --
    Rowdy Yates
    I am Against-TCPA

    Rowdy Yates, Jan 19, 2004
  8. G. Orme

    Simon Geary Guest

    You will need to know what RFC defines routers that can pass DHCP traffic
    for some exams. Some questions talk of an RFC xxxx compliant router. Can't
    remember which number it is though.

    The RFC discussing DNS SRV records is also used in AD exams in the context
    of what 3rd party DNS servers can be used with AD.

    Simon Geary, Jan 19, 2004
  9. G. Orme

    Dragon Guest

    There is nothing wrong with not knowing something as long as you have the
    courage to ask even if you ask someone who is a level below you (at the job
    of course). ;-)

    Dragon, Jan 19, 2004