    them also say to tune the tv to channel 3 (or 4) for it to work but
    their tv must be tuned to channel 3 all the time anyway for the cable
    to work. So would I turn the cable box to channel 3?

    Mike S., Dec 13, 2006

  2. Mike S.

    Osmo R Guest

    Mike S. kirjoitti:

    > I need to buy a RF Modulator for my parents so they can hookup their
    > new dvd player. I have a few questions as I'm not familiar with these
    > things. The basic model I was looking at only had RF input and output,
    > stereo audio inputs (left & right), and composite video input. The
    > other model which was a few dollars more had audio output ports. What
    > is the reason for the audio output ports? What would you use them with?

    The audio outputs are for connecting to a stereo system. Of course one
    could connect the outputs of the DVD directly to the stereo but with
    outputs
    in the modulator one can switch between the TV speakers and the stereo
    system without messing with the cables. You could also use PC speakers
    instead of a stereo system to get stereo sound. (Modulators typically
    produce
    mono sound)

    > The other problem is I'm wondering if the rf modulator and dvd player
    > will work with my parents tv setup. They have analog cable with a cable
    > box. So the cable connects to the cable box input, the cable box output
    > goes to the vcr input, the vcr output goes to the tv input. With the rf
    > modulator, would I connect the vcr output to the rf modulator input and
    > the rf modulator output to the tv input?

    Yes.

    > The instructions for most of
    > them also say to tune the tv to channel 3 (or 4) for it to work but
    > their tv must be tuned to channel 3 all the time anyway for the cable
    > to work. So would I turn the cable box to channel 3?

    You set the TV to the same channel as the modulator you are watching.

    The cable box has a modulator, so does the VHS. Now you are adding
    a third modulator. Each modulator needs its own channels if they are
    used
    together so ideally they all should have different output channels. If
    you can avoid
    using the modulator and the VCR at the same time (no taping while
    watching DVD)
    then you could use same channel for both. Here (In Europe) modulators
    use UHF
    so there is no lack of channels.

    Here is an example of a UHF-modulator:

    http://www.cable-electronics.com/Upload/1001f.pdf

    If possible set all modulators at channel 3 and keep only one equipment
    (Cable box,
    DVD, VCR) on at a time.

    VCR's have their own modulators. I assume you have tried that and found
    that it
    does not work because of the copy protection on the DVD's.

    Osmo

    Osmo R, Dec 13, 2006

  3. Mike S.

    GMAN Guest

    In article <>, "Mike S." <> wrote:
    >I need to buy a RF Modulator for my parents so they can hookup their
    >new dvd player. I have a few questions as I'm not familiar with these
    >things. The basic model I was looking at only had RF input and output,
    >stereo audio inputs (left & right), and composite video input. The
    >other model which was a few dollars more had audio output ports. What
    >is the reason for the audio output ports? What would you use them with?
    >
    >The other problem is I'm wondering if the rf modulator and dvd player
    >will work with my parents tv setup. They have analog cable with a cable
    >box. So the cable connects to the cable box input, the cable box output
    >goes to the vcr input, the vcr output goes to the tv input. With the rf
    >modulator, would I connect the vcr output to the rf modulator input and
    >the rf modulator output to the tv input? The instructions for most of
    >them also say to tune the tv to channel 3 (or 4) for it to work but
    >their tv must be tuned to channel 3 all the time anyway for the cable
    >to work. So would I turn the cable box to channel 3?

    Yes, put it between the VCR's RF output and the TV RF input.

    Leave the TV tuned to Channel 3.

    GMAN, Dec 14, 2006