rewriten repost a little ot

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by Argus, Sep 6, 2004.

  1. Argus

    Argus Guest

    Hi all, going try and make it a little clearer this time
    (you can ignore what I had below, reading it myself I
    wasn't sure what I was trying to say). What I need to do
    is block every one in the company except for about 6 user
    from either logging in to the pc altogether (this would be
    the last resort) or just using the internet on those
    computers (I would prefer to do this), there are 3
    computers that I wont to block. The problem is people
    using the pc on the weekend/overtime for the internet, and
    then I'm down there about ever 2 weeks to ghost them to
    get rib of all the crap, mainly spy ware that's on them.
    The company won't give me the funding to get software to
    do this. I know I can set what pc people login to but that
    would be a huge job here, 330 user accounts and 200 pc,
    with no current system in place. I hope this is a bit
    clearer

    Thanks again
    Argus

    .. Reply (E-mail) Forward (E-mail)

    Argus, Sep 6, 2004

  2. Argus

    harryph Guest

    from memory NO without third party software, but im not
    sure on that,

    harryph, Sep 6, 2004

  3. Argus

    Guest Guest

    is there a group police hiden away that could do it?

    Guest, Sep 6, 2004
  4. Argus

    Argus Guest

    not that i could see harrph

    Argus, Sep 6, 2004
  5. circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 06:46:53 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Argus
    () said,
    > Hi all, going try and make it a little clearer this time
    > (you can ignore what I had below, reading it myself I
    > wasn't sure what I was trying to say). What I need to do
    > is block every one in the company except for about 6 user
    > from either logging in to the pc altogether (this would be
    > the last resort) or just using the internet on those
    > computers (I would prefer to do this), there are 3
    > computers that I wont to block. The problem is people
    > using the pc on the weekend/overtime for the internet, and
    > then I'm down there about ever 2 weeks to ghost them to
    > get rib of all the crap, mainly spy ware that's on them.
    > The company won't give me the funding to get software to
    > do this. I know I can set what pc people login to but that
    > would be a huge job here, 330 user accounts and 200 pc,
    > with no current system in place. I hope this is a bit
    > clearer
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Argus

    Do you use a proxy server for Internet access? I think I may have
    asked you this the first time you posted. HOW are the users accessing
    the 'net? Directly? Via NAT? Through a firewall? Through a proxy.

    I can tell you how to do this if you give me the information I asked
    you for this time and last.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 6, 2004
  6. circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 07:59:42 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, harryph
    () said,
    > from memory NO without third party software, but im not
    > sure on that,

    It can, but the OP needs to provide more information (and no, there's
    not a Group Policy setting for it :). )

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 6, 2004
  7. Argus

    Argus Guest

    sry dident see you last post, we use a checkpoint firewall
    on proxy on the network. hope this helps u help me

    Thanks
    Argus

    Argus, Sep 6, 2004
  8. Argus

    Argus Guest

    sorry i mean thers no proxy on the network, nat

    Argus, Sep 6, 2004
  9. Argus

    Donald Guest

    What operating system are these machines running? And what domain setup are
    you using?

    Donald, Sep 6, 2004
  10. Argus

    Argus Guest

    The machines are running windows 2000 (hopfuly soon to be upgraded to xp)
    and all severs are '03, all conted to internet from cisco router from a
    checkpoint firewall

    Argus, Sep 6, 2004
  11. Argus

    Neil Guest

    babbling on and on again "Argus" <>
    spewed in news:6b9e01c49417$f7aaa190$:

    > Hi all, going try and make it a little clearer this time
    > (you can ignore what I had below, reading it myself I
    > wasn't sure what I was trying to say). What I need to do
    > is block every one in the company except for about 6 user
    > from either logging in to the pc altogether (this would be
    > the last resort) or just using the internet on those
    > computers (I would prefer to do this), there are 3
    > computers that I wont to block.

    ok, how about setting these PCs to only allow specific users to log on
    locally. that would handle the "PC altogether" issue. since you mentioned
    to Luara that you are using Firewall-1, why aren't you using the stuff
    that is built in there. IIRC, there are access rules that you can
    utilized in that product. maybe time to give www.checkpoint.com a peek...

    > The problem is people
    > using the pc on the weekend/overtime for the internet, and
    > then I'm down there about ever 2 weeks to ghost them to
    > get rib of all the crap, mainly spy ware that's on them.
    > The company won't give me the funding to get software to
    > do this.

    ok, there are tons of free anti-spyware tools - adaware, spyware s&d,
    etc. but hey if the company isn't willing to cough up for software, I
    guess they will just have to cough up for your paycheck instead.

    > I know I can set what pc people login to but that
    > would be a huge job here, 330 user accounts and 200 pc,
    > with no current system in place. I hope this is a bit
    > clearer
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Argus

    dunno if it helps you any but ...

    --
    Neil MCNGP #30
    Neil, Sep 6, 2004
  12. Argus

    MightyKitten Guest

    "Argus" <> schreef in bericht
    > Hi all, going try and make it a little clearer this time
    > (you can ignore what I had below, reading it myself I
    > wasn't sure what I was trying to say). What I need to do
    > is block every one in the company except for about 6 user
    > from either logging in to the pc altogether (this would be
    > the last resort) or just using the internet on those
    > computers (I would prefer to do this), there are 3
    > computers that I wont to block. The problem is people
    > using the pc on the weekend/overtime for the internet, and
    > then I'm down there about ever 2 weeks to ghost them to
    > get rib of all the crap, mainly spy ware that's on them.
    > The company won't give me the funding to get software to
    > do this. I know I can set what pc people login to but that
    > would be a huge job here, 330 user accounts and 200 pc,
    > with no current system in place. I hope this is a bit
    > clearer
    >
    > Thanks again
    > Argus

    Does the sysem need to be into the domain? If not: use is as a loose PC in a
    workgroup (same name as the domain) and create an account for the
    administrator, and theose 6 people who need the internet.

    A computer without the domain still can:
    Use DNS, DHCP and orther TCP IP services of the server and other network
    host (printers, firewalls, ect)

    IIRC you can even place a domain menber in the local user/groups of the
    Workgroup PC, provided you add thoses users as domain administrator (using
    \\domainname\administratorname and the right password) Tis would also mean
    those users can use their network directory (but you'l have to find a work
    around for the log-on script. It will not run, because you will not be
    conected to the doain as such. Placing a batchfile calling the script from
    the server should do the trick).

    --

    A complete other solution would be to make an image of the pc, burn it to a
    bootable cd that will autmatically restore the image (It can be done using

    If user messes up, user can ask for cd, put cd in computer, turn computer
    on. And while he is waiting, he can get you a coke/pepsi and some snacks,

    --

    A third option would, as already sugested, be a firewall or proxi server
    with password protection.

    I wont say these solutions are the best or greatest, but the'll give you
    something to think about and come up with a (of course) better idea.

    Jeroen de Bruijn

    --

    http://www.it-hulp.nl/
    http://fotoalbum.it-hulp.nl/

    gmx.net is the mailserver of mightykitten
    start subject with *ping* or the antispam monster will eat it.
    MightyKitten, Sep 6, 2004
  13. Then it's too easy! Set a rule on the Checkpoint firewall that says:
    Source: IP Address of the pc's you want to block
    Destination: Any
    Service: http https ftp
    Action: Block
    Track: Log

    Wayne
    Brisbane, Oz

    Wayne McGlinn, Sep 7, 2004
  14. circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 10:52:56 -0700, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Argus
    () said,
    > sry dident see you last post, we use a checkpoint firewall
    > on proxy on the network. hope this helps u help me

    Ah, then all you actually need to do is to implement user-based proxy
    configuration and only allow the specific users proxy access. Do you
    know how to do this?

    Laura

    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  15. circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 19:18:02 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Argus () said,

    > sorry i mean thers no proxy on the network, nat

    Ah, okay, then is this a domain environment?
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  16. circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 20:17:26 +0100, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, Argus () said,
    > The machines are running windows 2000 (hopfuly soon to be upgraded to xp)
    > and all severs are '03, all conted to internet from cisco router from a
    > checkpoint firewall

    Domain?
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  17. circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:15:13 +0200, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, MightyKitten (MightyKitten@
    127.0.0.1.zap) said,
    > Does the sysem need to be into the domain? If not: use is as a loose PC in a
    > workgroup (same name as the domain) and create an account for the
    > administrator, and theose 6 people who need the internet.
    >
    > A computer without the domain still can:
    > Use DNS, DHCP and orther TCP IP services of the server and other network
    > host (printers, firewalls, ect)
    >
    > IIRC you can even place a domain menber in the local user/groups of the
    > Workgroup PC, provided you add thoses users as domain administrator (using
    > \\domainname\administratorname and the right password) Tis would also mean
    > those users can use their network directory (but you'l have to find a work
    > around for the log-on script. It will not run, because you will not be
    > conected to the doain as such. Placing a batchfile calling the script from
    > the server should do the trick).
    >
    > --
    >
    > A complete other solution would be to make an image of the pc, burn it to a
    > bootable cd that will autmatically restore the image (It can be done using
    > either ghost or pqdi (powerquest) tools and some batch scripting.
    >
    > If user messes up, user can ask for cd, put cd in computer, turn computer
    > on. And while he is waiting, he can get you a coke/pepsi and some snacks,
    >
    > --

    How does this prevent all users except the six from accessing the
    Internet, yet still allow them to use the computers?

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 9, 2004
  18. Argus

    MightyKitten Guest

    "Laura A. Robinson" <> schreef in bericht
    > circa Mon, 6 Sep 2004 22:15:13 +0200, in
    > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, MightyKitten (MightyKitten@
    > 127.0.0.1.zap) said,
    >> Does the sysem need to be into the domain? If not: use is as a loose
    >> PC in a workgroup (same name as the domain) and create an account
    >> for the administrator, and theose 6 people who need the internet.
    >>
    >> A computer without the domain still can:
    >> Use DNS, DHCP and orther TCP IP services of the server and other
    >> network host (printers, firewalls, ect)
    >>
    >> IIRC you can even place a domain menber in the local user/groups of
    >> the Workgroup PC, provided you add thoses users as domain
    >> administrator (using \\domainname\administratorname and the right
    >> password) Tis would also mean those users can use their network
    >> directory (but you'l have to find a work around for the log-on
    >> script. It will not run, because you will not be conected to the
    >> doain as such. Placing a batchfile calling the script from the
    >> server should do the trick).
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> A complete other solution would be to make an image of the pc, burn
    >> it to a bootable cd that will autmatically restore the image (It can
    >> be done using either ghost or pqdi (powerquest) tools and some batch
    >> scripting.
    >>
    >> If user messes up, user can ask for cd, put cd in computer, turn
    >> computer on. And while he is waiting, he can get you a coke/pepsi
    >> and some snacks,
    >>
    >> --
    >>

    > How does this prevent all users except the six from accessing the
    > Internet, yet still allow them to use the computers?
    >
    > Laura

    The OP clearly states

    <quote>
    What I need to do
    is block every one in the company except for about 6 user
    from either *logging in to the pc altogether (this would be
    the last resort)* or just using the internet on those
    computers (I would prefer to do this)

    It is a last resotr method.

    Jeroen de Bruijn

    MightyKitten, Sep 10, 2004
  19. circa Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:31:20 +0200, in
    microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, MightyKitten (MightyKitten@
    127.0.0.1.zap) said,
    > > microsoft.public.cert.exam.mcse, MightyKitten (MightyKitten@
    > > 127.0.0.1.zap) said,
    > >> Does the sysem need to be into the domain? If not: use is as a loose
    > >> PC in a workgroup (same name as the domain) and create an account
    > >> for the administrator, and theose 6 people who need the internet.
    > >>
    > >> A computer without the domain still can:
    > >> Use DNS, DHCP and orther TCP IP services of the server and other
    > >> network host (printers, firewalls, ect)
    > >>
    > >> IIRC you can even place a domain menber in the local user/groups of
    > >> the Workgroup PC, provided you add thoses users as domain
    > >> administrator (using \\domainname\administratorname and the right
    > >> password) Tis would also mean those users can use their network
    > >> directory (but you'l have to find a work around for the log-on
    > >> script. It will not run, because you will not be conected to the
    > >> doain as such. Placing a batchfile calling the script from the
    > >> server should do the trick).
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> A complete other solution would be to make an image of the pc, burn
    > >> it to a bootable cd that will autmatically restore the image (It can
    > >> be done using either ghost or pqdi (powerquest) tools and some batch
    > >> scripting.
    > >>
    > >> If user messes up, user can ask for cd, put cd in computer, turn
    > >> computer on. And while he is waiting, he can get you a coke/pepsi
    > >> and some snacks,
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>

    > > How does this prevent all users except the six from accessing the
    > > Internet, yet still allow them to use the computers?
    > >
    > > Laura

    > The OP clearly states
    >
    > <quote>
    > What I need to do
    > is block every one in the company except for about 6 user
    > from either *logging in to the pc altogether (this would be
    > the last resort)* or just using the internet on those
    > computers (I would prefer to do this)
    >

    > It is a last resotr method.

    And again, I ask you...

    Point is, you're giving a bunch of solutions that the OP clearly
    expressed would be undesirable.

    Laura
    -Oscar Wilde
    Laura A. Robinson, Sep 11, 2004