Revolution 1309

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by kpg*, Jan 7, 2008.

  1. kpg*

    kpg* Guest

    Here's one for all you aspiring mcse's. Test you knowledge and
    solve my problem all at the same time :).

    The setup:

    User has an AD network and runs a vb6 program that is installed
    locally on each workstation but uses a common folder on the server
    to share an access database. Point here is that the program
    is not a client-server program.

    Users server dies. User calls tech guy, he replaces sever
    with a shiny new 2003 standard server. Tech guy somehow
    restores everything and things are back to normal.

    The problem:

    User runs vb6 app from workstations and gets no less than
    63 errors like:

    Microsoft Access 2000 SR-1 Runtime
    Error 1309. Error reading from file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    Office\ART\Pfiles\MSOffice\Office\MSO7FTP.EXE
    Cancel|Retry|Ignore

    This is repeated with a different file 63 times. If the user
    cancels it goes away after three times.

    Then a message says:

    Wait while Runtime Configures.

    The vb6 app then runs normally after all this.

    The kicker:

    The user and tech guy swear on a stack of mcse training
    material that the workstations were not touched, only the
    sever was replaced.

    What I know:

    That 2003 comes out-the-box locked down pretty tight.

    That the 1309 error seems to be a Microsoft Installer error and
    is no doubt (in my mind) related to that stupid (in my mind)
    just in time installation stuff. So the vb6 program touches
    an access databse, windows things components are missing, yadda,
    yadda.

    What I don't know:

    How, why, where the AD was restored, if from backup or from scratch.

    How our vb6 app was put back on the server, by backup or install.

    How competent the tech guy is.

    Anyone that wants to appear really smart please clue me in.

    kpg

    kpg*, Jan 7, 2008

  2. Compact and Repair on the database and make sure you can link to it, but the
    error without Debug data with what line of code is throwing the error its
    hard to determine,

    You might also try to reinstall access on one of the systems...

    I'll dig for more.

    --
    ..rev

    www.askthemct.com
    ..

    .rev [askthemct.com], Jan 8, 2008

  3. kpg*

    kpg* Guest

    ".rev [askthemct.com]" <> wrote in

    > Compact and Repair on the database and make sure you can link to it,
    > but the error without Debug data with what line of code is throwing
    > the error its hard to determine,
    >
    > You might also try to reinstall access on one of the systems...
    >
    > I'll dig for more.

    Thanks for the reply.

    hmmm, yeah...OK....compact & repair the db. worth a shot.

    The program can link to the db though, as it runs normally
    once the messages clear up. Also, if the program has trouble
    opening the db it prompts the user if they want to run a
    compact and repair. User did not indicate this happened, so
    I assume the program thinks it can open the db just fine, and
    in fact it does - because it runs normally.

    If this were a NTFS or user permission issue the program would
    not run normally.

    The user indicated they don't have access or office installed
    on the local machines - of this I have my doubts, but we do
    not require it - we ship all components needed to open the db
    as part of our install.

    I instructed the tech guy to create an admin account, login
    at the w/s under that account and see what happens. Next I
    told him to reinstall the db components (we use jet). Next I
    suggested that he copy the db to the local machine and log off
    the domain and see what happens - He has not yet replied.

    A goggle search for error 1309 yields results dealing with
    ms project and the order of installation - this makes sense,
    what does not make sense to me is why the workstations are
    acting different just because the share where the db is located
    has changed - no server components should be involved at all,
    the share could just as well be on one of the other w/s.

    Of course I'm dealing with a tech guy that is most likely in
    CYA mode, so I don't know that I'm getting all the facts.

    Hey, how 'bout them Tigers?

    kpg

    kpg*, Jan 8, 2008
  4. kpg*

    Bill Hileman Guest

    "kpg*" <> wrote in message

    > Hey, how 'bout them Tigers?

    Y'all didn't beat down the buckeyes as bad as the Gators did last year.

    And the Gators gave y'all a much better game.

    Freakin' 5 for 5 on fourth downs. Les is insane.

    We'll kick yore arse next year.

    Bill Hileman, Jan 8, 2008
  5. kpg*

    kpg* Guest

    "Bill Hileman" <> wrote in news:#zYDITgUIHA.4476
    @TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl:

    > "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hey, how 'bout them Tigers?

    > Y'all didn't beat down the buckeyes as bad as the Gators did last year.
    >
    > And the Gators gave y'all a much better game.
    >
    > Freakin' 5 for 5 on fourth downs. Les is insane.
    >
    > We'll kick yore arse next year.

    Ya know, we cajuns eat dem dare gators for breakfast.

    Tastes like chicken.

    kpg*, Jan 8, 2008
  6. Two more things..

    1 - Is Acces in installed? (Even if it isn't required)
    2 - If it is installed have updates been applied or is it a different
    version?

    In otherwords...Did someone install Access 2003 (for example) or an Access
    2000 Service Pack on the client system then/or convert the access datavase
    to the newer version?

    Stuff like that breaks apps all the time, and it may only appear to be
    working properly...You have an error, even if it "comes up and works after"
    you need to see where the error is coming from and resolve it.

    --
    ..rev

    www.askthemct.com
    ..

    .rev [askthemct.com], Jan 8, 2008
  7. "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    > Here's one for all you aspiring mcse's. Test you knowledge and
    > solve my problem all at the same time :).
    >
    > The setup:
    >
    > User has an AD network and runs a vb6 program that is installed
    > locally on each workstation but uses a common folder on the server
    > to share an access database. Point here is that the program
    > is not a client-server program.
    >
    > Users server dies. User calls tech guy, he replaces sever
    > with a shiny new 2003 standard server. Tech guy somehow
    > restores everything and things are back to normal.
    >
    > The problem:
    >
    > User runs vb6 app from workstations and gets no less than
    > 63 errors like:
    >
    > Microsoft Access 2000 SR-1 Runtime
    > Error 1309. Error reading from file: C:\Program Files\Microsoft
    > Office\ART\Pfiles\MSOffice\Office\MSO7FTP.EXE
    > Cancel|Retry|Ignore
    >
    > This is repeated with a different file 63 times. If the user
    > cancels it goes away after three times.

    How is the VB6 app authenticating with the file share on the server to
    access the shared Access files?

    It is simply using the context of the logged on user at the workstation? If
    so, were the ACLs set correctly on the new server?

    If the VB6 app is using a hardcoded account/password.. was it a local
    account or a domain account?

    If a local account... was the local account recreated, and were the ACLs
    set correctly?

    If a domain account... was the domain account rejoined to any
    appropriate local groups, and were the ACLs set correctly?

    > That 2003 comes out-the-box locked down pretty tight.

    Yeah.... and modifying the *share* permissions would also be a strongly
    recommended step, since, by default, Windows Server 2003 provides EVERYONE
    "Read Only" share writes and NOBODY any write permissions, which will quite
    quickly annoy the heck out of an ADO-based VB6 application if it can't open
    the database RW.

    > What I don't know:
    >
    > How, why, where the AD was restored, if from backup or from scratch.

    WAS AD restored??? Was the server that died the *only* server, and the only
    Domain Controller?

    > How our vb6 app was put back on the server, by backup or install.

    And.. what, if any, portions of the VB6 app reside on the server? Or is the
    VB6 code totally client-resident, and merely executing a file access to the
    network share. Also, did the VB6 app use any COM capabilities on the server
    that might not have been reinstalled/restored?

    > How competent the tech guy is.
    >
    > Anyone that wants to appear really smart please clue me in.

    I'm trying to appear 'really smart' but to be honest I'm just throwin' mud
    and hopin' some of it sticks to the wall.

    --
    Lawrence Garvin, M.S., MCBMSP, MCTS, MCP

    http://wsusinfo.onsitechsolutions.com

    Lawrence Garvin, Jan 9, 2008
  8. "kpg*" <> wrote in message

    > If this were a NTFS or user permission issue the program would
    > not run normally.

    Not necessarily.... unless "run normally" includes successfully modifying
    data in the database.

    Still it could be permissions issues on resources other than the Access MDB
    file.

    > The user indicated they don't have access or office installed
    > on the local machines - of this I have my doubts, but we do
    > not require it - we ship all components needed to open the db
    > as part of our install.

    This is likely true. Since the client app is wholly contained within a VB6
    app, and all data access is (likely) being performed via ADO (or maybe
    something more primitive -- God help us all if that's the case), there would
    be no need to have Access installed anywhere (except, maybe, the server, if
    the server has been used to run Access as a database maintenance tool).

    btw.... recall your original error:

    So the Access *runtime* is installed on the desktops.

    But, even then, the Access *runtime* would only be required if Access/VBA
    CODE embedded in the MDB datafile were needed to execute on the client
    system context; otherwise, I would have thought all data access requirements
    would have been addressed within the VB6 environment.

    Disclaimer: While I have developed Access 2000/2002 wVBA applications using
    ADO and the Access RT environment, I'm not a VB6 programmer, so what I'm
    saying about VB6, per se, just might be somewhat off-the-wall and should be
    taken with the appropriate rock of salt.

    > Hey, how 'bout them Tigers?

    Wasn't that an incredible surprise! I grew up in the shadow of Ohio State,
    but I've been in Texas for almost 30 years now. I was pulling for LSU this
    time, and I'm so happy to see LSU get that title -- and, to be honest, from
    somebody as established as Ohio State just makes it all that much sweeter.

    Lawrence Garvin, Jan 9, 2008
  9. kpg*

    kpg* Guest

    >> Anyone that wants to appear really smart please clue me in.
    >
    > I'm trying to appear 'really smart' but to be honest I'm just throwin'
    > mud and hopin' some of it sticks to the wall.

    That's all I was hoping for. :p

    I'll followup once we get this resolved.

    Thanks.

    kpg*, Jan 9, 2008
  10. kpg*

    CBIC Guest

    "kpg*" <> wrote in message
    >>> Anyone that wants to appear really smart please clue me in.

    >> I'm trying to appear 'really smart' but to be honest I'm just throwin'
    >> mud and hopin' some of it sticks to the wall.

    > That's all I was hoping for. :p
    >
    > I'll followup once we get this resolved.
    >
    > Thanks.

    The solution is very simple. Just load ESX on your new server and then move
    the vm of the server over to it from your SAN.

    What's that? You say you're not running VMware...oh nevermind. Good luck.

    CBIC, Jan 9, 2008
  11. kpg*

    kpg* Guest

    > The solution is very simple. Just load ESX on your new server and then
    > move the vm of the server over to it from your SAN.
    >
    > What's that? You say you're not running VMware...oh nevermind. Good
    > luck.

    I'm starting to see the light.

    kpg*, Jan 9, 2008