    Any ideas?

    Thanks.

    -CD
    Cardamon Dave, May 23, 2006

  2. "Cardamon Dave" <> wrote:

    > But here's my question: what's the largest you've ever printed a file
    > from the 4MP G2? File size is just over 2 MB, 2272 x 1704. I'd like to
    > go 16 x 20 inches, but I'm not sure I'd retain much clarity.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    The neat thing about digital photography is that no matter how big you
    print, it always looks better than a smaller print from the same original.
    Part of that is that most people have never seen a larger print from medium
    or large format film, but mostly it's that big sometimes really is better.

    That said, there is some amount of art to (and a lot of argumentation over)
    upsampling.

    My understanding is that there are online places with very reasonable prices
    nowadays, and my advice is to just go for it.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, May 23, 2006

  3. Cardamon Dave

    tomm42 Guest

    Cardamon Dave wrote:
    > Just for grins, I haulted out my great old Canon Powershot G2
    > yesterday; it's hard to think that this camera was state-of-the-art
    > just three years ago. It's fully functional, and has that great
    > substantial feel that reminds me of a really good classic 35mm
    > rangefinder. Few of the non-DSLR cameras sold today have the same great
    > fit and finish of the G2.
    >
    > But here's my question: what's the largest you've ever printed a file
    > from the 4MP G2? File size is just over 2 MB, 2272 x 1704. I'd like to
    > go 16 x 20 inches, but I'm not sure I'd retain much clarity.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -CD

    I'm assuming the 2mb is the jpeg size, this really doesn't mean much,
    because jpeg compression is variable depending on the picture. What is
    important is the size of the file when opened, for 4MP that should be
    12mb, that is the size of the pic saved as an uncompressed TIF.
    Anyway at that size you should be able to get a decent 16x20, won't be
    fantastic, but handled well it should be good enough to hang on the
    wall. Use a decent alorithm to enlarge the image, Photoshop Bicubic is
    quite good recently, Fred Miranda's step resizing action,or a number of
    3rd party programs. If you don't want to bother with that, do yourself
    a favor and print with QImage.

    good Luck
    Tom
    tomm42, May 23, 2006
  4. Cardamon Dave

    SMS Guest

    Cardamon Dave wrote:
    > Just for grins, I haulted out my great old Canon Powershot G2
    > yesterday; it's hard to think that this camera was state-of-the-art
    > just three years ago. It's fully functional, and has that great
    > substantial feel that reminds me of a really good classic 35mm
    > rangefinder. Few of the non-DSLR cameras sold today have the same great
    > fit and finish of the G2.

    I agree. I still use my G2 fairly often. The classic PSC-2000 Canon
    leather case feels very good. It's something that I wish was available
    for their D-SLRs.

    > But here's my question: what's the largest you've ever printed a file
    > from the 4MP G2? File size is just over 2 MB, 2272 x 1704. I'd like to
    > go 16 x 20 inches, but I'm not sure I'd retain much clarity.

    I don't think I'd go beyond 11" x 14", but as others have pointed out,
    with the right software a 16" x 20" would be acceptable.
    SMS, May 23, 2006