    Just climbing the learning curve.

    Thanks

    eric

    eric, Nov 16, 2004

  2. eric

    YAG-ART Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 21:09:06 -0500, eric <> wrote:

    >I just picked up a 20D and am rather impressed with it. However, trying
    >to look at the image on the tiny LCD seems rather a pain. I do some
    >sport shooting and trying to look at the images outdoors is rather
    >difficult. How do some of you handle it? Carry a lupe around with you?

    There should be a zoom in function on the camera, for the previews.
    Personaly I only review to make sure the exposure is correct, then I
    don't look at the preview again.

    YAG-ART, Nov 16, 2004

  3. eric

    Julian Tan Guest

    G'day...

    I think it's always going to be difficult with the little LCD screens.
    Just recently I took some (what looked to be) very beautiful night
    shots of Sydney Harbour Bridge, only to find that they were all out of
    focus on my PC!

    With a DSLR though, I would check sharpness etc via the optical
    viewfinder, and then check exposure with the LCD.
    Jules
    http://www.shuttertalk.com

    Julian Tan, Nov 16, 2004
  4. Julian Tan wrote:

    > G'day...
    >
    > I think it's always going to be difficult with the little LCD screens.
    > Just recently I took some (what looked to be) very beautiful night
    > shots of Sydney Harbour Bridge, only to find that they were all out of
    > focus on my PC!
    >
    > With a DSLR though, I would check sharpness etc via the optical
    > viewfinder, and then check exposure with the LCD.
    > Jules
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com

    Zooming in on the LCD would surely give you some indication of focus.

    --
    Ben Thomas
    given nor endorsed by it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?BenOne=A9?=, Nov 16, 2004
  5. eric

    Don dunlap Guest

    "Julian Tan" <> wrote in message
    > G'day...
    >
    > I think it's always going to be difficult with the little LCD screens.
    > Just recently I took some (what looked to be) very beautiful night
    > shots of Sydney Harbour Bridge, only to find that they were all out of
    > focus on my PC!
    >
    > With a DSLR though, I would check sharpness etc via the optical
    > viewfinder, and then check exposure with the LCD.
    > Jules
    > http://www.shuttertalk.com

    So far, that has been my only problem with the 20D. When I review shots on
    the LCD, they look great, but when I get them into the computer, they are
    either too light, too dark, or out of focus. I also only see about 80-90
    percent of the shot in the LCD. I have reached the point where I don't even
    review my shots. I just take several at different settings to ensure that I
    have a good one. That's the great thing about digital. I have had my
    camera less than a week and have taken over 300 shots so far. If it were
    film, I might have taken 50.

    Don Dunlap

    Don dunlap, Nov 16, 2004
  6. eric

    eric Guest

    Don dunlap wrote:
    > "Julian Tan" <> wrote in message
    >

    > So far, that has been my only problem with the 20D. When I review shots on
    > the LCD, they look great, but when I get them into the computer, they are
    > either too light, too dark, or out of focus. I also only see about 80-90
    > percent of the shot in the LCD. I have reached the point where I don't even
    > review my shots. I just take several at different settings to ensure that I
    > have a good one. That's the great thing about digital. I have had my
    > camera less than a week and have taken over 300 shots so far. If it were
    > film, I might have taken 50.
    >
    > Don Dunlap

    Don,

    I don't have a laptop to carry with me. I do several weekend
    tournaments each season and I need to cull through the images. The
    little LCD is just not a very good way of going about it.

    Hmm... I think I need a new laptop... That's the ticket... Is this
    getting expensive, or what?

    eric

    eric, Nov 17, 2004
  7. eric

    docfantoday Guest

    The LCD picture image isn't really meant to determine underexposure or
    overexposure. Using the camera's histogram is a much better tool.

    docfantoday, Nov 17, 2004
  8. eric

    Don dunlap Guest

    "eric" <> wrote in message
    > Don dunlap wrote:
    >> "Julian Tan" <> wrote in message
    >>

    >> So far, that has been my only problem with the 20D. When I review shots
    >> on the LCD, they look great, but when I get them into the computer, they
    >> are either too light, too dark, or out of focus. I also only see about
    >> 80-90 percent of the shot in the LCD. I have reached the point where I
    >> don't even review my shots. I just take several at different settings to
    >> ensure that I have a good one. That's the great thing about digital. I
    >> have had my camera less than a week and have taken over 300 shots so far.
    >> If it were film, I might have taken 50.
    >>
    >> Don Dunlap

    > Don,
    >
    > I don't have a laptop to carry with me. I do several weekend tournaments
    > each season and I need to cull through the images. The little LCD is just
    > not a very good way of going about it.
    >
    > Hmm... I think I need a new laptop... That's the ticket... Is this
    > getting expensive, or what?
    >
    > eric

    As my wife says, "you can't take it with you", or as I told my sone
    recently, "I'm spending your inheritance". Go ahead and buy it, you only
    live once.

    Don Dunlap

    Don dunlap, Nov 17, 2004
  9. eric

    Charlie Self Guest

    Don dunlap states:

    >As my wife says, "you can't take it with you", or as I told my sone
    >recently, "I'm spending your inheritance". Go ahead and buy it, you only
    >live once.

    Or buy a used laptop. I just got a 1 gig Toshiba Satelllite from a friend. I
    review photos on it, but work on photos on the desktop machine. Simplifies
    matters. Cost? One helluva lot less than a new laptop. The hard drive is only
    15 gigs, but I've got a 120 gig Simpletech portable, so that's not even close
    to a problem.

    Charlie Self
    "Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of
    nothing."
    Redd Foxx

    Charlie Self, Nov 17, 2004
  10. eric

    Jer Guest

    Don dunlap wrote:

    > As my wife says, "you can't take it with you", or as I told my sone
    > recently, "I'm spending your inheritance". Go ahead and buy it, you only
    > live once.

    Two bumper stickers on the rear bumper of my parent's RV....

    "Happiness is living long enough to be a problem to your kids."

    "We're having fun spending our kids inheritance."

    Both are true and I couldn't be happier for them.

    --
    jer email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Nov 17, 2004