Review: Aerocool Zerodba PSU

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Silverstrand, Apr 17, 2006.

1. Silverstrand

Silverstrand

[​IMG]

Today's computer components are demanding more and more power in order to run at their full potential. Video cards and processors have advanced so fast in the last two years that their power requirements have barely been met by power supply manufacturers. Consumers have to make a very tough decision when choosing which power supply to trust with their new system, while keeping a close eye on the power specifications of each PSU to ensure they will get the stability they are looking for while keeping in mind their overclocking possibilities as well. The bottom line is whether you overclock or not, you need to invest in a quality power supply.

Review Link

**Discuss this review in this thread only**
    Silverstrand, Apr 17, 2006
    1. Advertising

2. Silverstrand

bigal

I like how most high-end PSU's are very nice looking these days. Gone are the old steel gray cases with a few ventilation holes and an 80mm fan. Too bad these cable assemblies are so difficult to route within the case.

Good review Silverstrand.
    bigal, Apr 18, 2006
    1. Advertising

3. Silverstrand

The Modfather

I envision the day when cables for the PC aren't an issue, when they're somehow all centralized into one plug that has the ATX connector, power connector, all the front panel connecters and everything all in one convenient plug and all the molex connectors are switched over to something less intrusive and are built into the cases so you have outlets in various locations in the case and can avoid about 80% of all the wiring that interferes with everything.
    The Modfather, Apr 19, 2006
  4. Silverstrand

bigal

You are describing a bus design, and I remember seeing some computer mod where the guy did just that - several locations had power taps for the nearby devices. Similar designs are used in spacecraft, so you minimize exposed wiring that could chaft and short to the structure during the launch phase. Say, I wonder if a Big Al's computer will ever make it into space? I did have my name added to a CD-R that flew on the Cassini spacecraft. Also, I did touch the Galileo space probe before it was launched. Big Al's been places some people only dream about...check this link: http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/jupiterflyby/
    bigal, Apr 19, 2006
  5. Silverstrand

The Modfather

Hehe, you touched a probe, hehehe. :)

Bus Design, okay, well, that's all well and good but it doesn't exist in the real world, you know, where use pleebs play. Imagine it if you will.

PSU has two connecters. One that connects to the motherboard that contains all the necessary plugs for the board that would normally take several plugs. Second plug plugs into the case in an out of the way location. This runs all the 12v 3v & 5v outlets.

Case has one connector that connects to a universal outlet (built properly, not some cheap piece of garbage that falls off like most mobos) and contains the front devices (power switch, reset switch, lights, etc etc)

Case has the connectors in appropriate locations for plugging in devices such as fans, lighting, etc. This could also be incorporated for HDD and optical drives, where the drives are inserted into the case a short connector is all that is required to plug them into the case and the case plugs into the mobo via another short connector which doesn't need to run all over the place.

One bundle of extra power connectors retracts into the top of the case and can be pulled down (individually) for cards that require extra power (i.e. heavy power consuming video cards).

Yes, lofty goal that'd require cooperation on the part of lots of different industries but it makes freakin' sense.
    The Modfather, Apr 19, 2006
  6. Silverstrand

bigal

I could see placing the connect points within the case, but we still have to deal with all the PSU cables. If we add connection points, we also get voltage drops and introduce reliability issues along the way. Maybe we're better off just closing up the case and never looking inside?
    bigal, Apr 20, 2006
  7. Silverstrand

The Modfather

<SHOCK!> <HORROR!> That, That's Heresy that is!!!

My answer to that was to make retractable connect points, the PSU would just need one connection to the case for each of the rails and the retractable connection points could reside in an out of the way location. These would be for devices that simply must have a wire running to them. Off hand the most important one that comes to mind is modern graphics cards. Voltage drops would not be an issue of the design was done properly. If you just ran cheap wiring through aluminum channeling then yeah, that could be a problem. But who said to do that? Run a better guage wire through shielded cables and that problem is nullified. What I'm thinking about here he's so much a slap together idea like modular power supplies where voltage drops are as common as dirt but a radical redesign of the way all devices in a case interact with one another. It'd require redesigning of the case, the PSU and the motherboard.

The case redesign we've already sort of addressed.

The motherboard design change that we'd need would be to have all of the front panel connections adapt to a universal standard which involves one simple to plug in connector on the motherboard. Obviously the power/atx connectors can't be avoided but that brings the total of wires going to the mobo from a maximum of 30 or more down to 3, not including your IDE/SATA connectors. Those connectors are usually easy to manage with round cables and can be pretty much routed easily with tie backs and so forth so they don't do a lot to restrict airflow if you're careful, it's all the blasted molexes, front panel wiring and so forth that get in the way the most.

The changes to the PSU would be the easiest part. Every PSU would have a much smaller collection of wires. One molex-replacement connector that plugs into the case itself, period, would replace all those 4 pin molex plugs, one 3v rail plug that does the same thing replaces all the smaller plugs, another SATA power connector that connects to the case and you're done. To make this even simpler, make all of these into ONE universal plug that connects to the case that contains all the wiring for all of these connectors and you have now got 1 wire for all your power points, 1 or 2 for your mobo power and one main plug for the mobo. A total of 4 plugs coming from the PSU, one of which can be all but discounted as it's connected directly to the case itself.

By placing power points at the edges of the case for fans, we can seriously cut down on fan wire clutter.

I think the idea could work but I don't believe it'll ever happen.
    The Modfather, Apr 21, 2006
  8. Silverstrand

bigal

There is another reason for so many wires going to the motherboard and other devices - current carrying capacity. You can't just dump five or six wires that supply the same voltage, because they are sharing the current load. Your resulting wire would be more like your terminal connection in a car battery. Big wires!
    bigal, Apr 21, 2006
  9. Silverstrand

unholy

more then just big, thick... like ur trying to push 100 Amps through a 20 Amp cable, i would like to see you try mr modfather :p, even the motherboard would have trouble pushing 100Amps through the fine copper lines :p, thats why there is like 4x12v, 5x3.3v, 3x5v, and all ur -'s on a ATX connector.

with the front panel, i would like to see them make a standard, its a pain half the time i just plug in the power and thats it! :p
    unholy, Apr 22, 2006
  10. Silverstrand

The Modfather

No, I'm not suggesting that we throw the whole load through one wire, simply that the wires are routed through the case to various locations that remove the clutter. The connector from the PSU to the case to supply this doesn't have to be one monster cable, it could be something along the lines of a flat ribbon cable of sorts, but it'd be unobtrusive and out of the way. There isn't any reason this isn't possible, just not very likely. Could I do it? No, I'm not in any position to do it but I could design it easily enough.
    The Modfather, Apr 22, 2006
  11. Silverstrand

unholy

this gives me an idea, maybe i sould work on a case where u just shove the crap in it clips and works! :) well except for the screws on the mobo and the power supply. But i mean like low wires running around, its all built for cleanlyness :)
    unholy, Apr 23, 2006
  12. Silverstrand

The Modfather

Gee, what a clever idea, how amazing of you to think of it. :rolleyes:
    The Modfather, Apr 23, 2006
  13. Silverstrand

bigal

He's bright, in a sort of 40W way.
    bigal, Apr 23, 2006
  14. Silverstrand

The Modfather

Really? That much ya think?

I was thinkin' sort of, you know, penlightish.
    The Modfather, Apr 23, 2006
  15. Silverstrand

unholy

you got it wrong, its 2000kW :p

By the way i meant a case where the wires are already there, everything in place u slot the CD/DVD Drive in and it will work, same with the HDD :p

and all the wires are hidden, the PSU is in a box (all the connectors are connected right next to the PSU so the cables dont hang around)
    unholy, Apr 24, 2006
  16. Silverstrand

The Modfather

Nathan, that's what I've been describing all along you nitwit. :)
    The Modfather, Apr 24, 2006
  17. Silverstrand

unholy

Hey its not my fault u didn't explain it in english :p
    unholy, Apr 25, 2006
  18. Silverstrand

The Modfather

No, I did, you just don't understand or speak English, that's all.
    The Modfather, Apr 25, 2006
  19. Silverstrand

unholy

Change ur Dicitionary to English (Australian) then i might understand better.
    unholy, Apr 26, 2006
  20. Silverstrand

The Modfather

The Modfather, Apr 27, 2006
    1. Advertising