Reverse Telnet from 2610

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by mike.anning@chep.com, May 19, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi guys
    Having problems using reverse telnet.

    Using the AUX port on a 2610 connecting to the Console port of a 3550
    switch using a straight through cable.

    AUX port on 2610 is configured like this:
    line aux 0
    modem InOut
    transport input all
    stopbits 1
    speed 19200
    flowcontrol hardware

    Loopback 0
    10.0.0.1 255.255.255.0

    The AUX port is on line 65 so therefore
    telnet 10.0.0.1 4065

    I get the prompt for username and password.

    The first problem was that each character I typed I got twice so I used
    the /noecho switch on the telnet command which resolved this.

    The next problem is that I enter the username and password, but I then
    get nothing.
    It locks up and accepts no further input.
    I have to disconnected and start again but the same thing happens
    everytime.

    Any help appreciated.
    Cheers
    Mike
    , May 19, 2006

  2. Guest

    Try port 2065 instead of 4065.

    josh
    , May 19, 2006

  3. Guest

    Thanks but it makes no difference
    Cheers
    Mike
    , May 19, 2006
  4. Mike,
    A few things.
    1. You should use 2065 rather than 4065 - All the Cisco documentation
    references reverse telnet via port 2000+n (n being the port number of
    the line). Even though this may not help right now, this might be a
    good standard practice.
    2. Have you tried using a roll-over (console) cable or a crossover in
    place of the straight through?
    3. I notied the AUX port is set to speed 19200 on the 2610, have you
    configured the same speed on the 3550? Console ports are usually only
    9600 - might be a speed mismatch.
    4. What does the config look like on the console port of the 3550?

    Robert B. Phillips, II, May 20, 2006
  5. Guest

    > Having problems using reverse telnet.
    > Using the AUX port on a 2610 connecting to the Console port of a 3550
    > switch using a straight through cable.

    Reverse telnet to AUX (conected to PC running Hyperterm).
    This is of no use that I can think of except as a test:)

    My notes say:
    This works: Can type both ways.
    Telnet to Hyperterm.

    line aux 0
    no exec
    transport preferred none
    transport input telnet

    3725 to PC with blue rollover cable.

    telnet x.x.x.x 2097

    R1#sh line
    Tty Typ Tx/Rx A Modem Roty AccO AccI Uses Noise
    Overruns Int
    * 0 CTY - - - - - 2 0 0/0
    -
    97 AUX 9600/9600 - - - - - 2 0 0/0
    -

    Add to Aux0 "login local" (with no aaa new-model,
    and with user names) and we have login security.

    I used a rollover cable (blue:) here.
    So
    since PC-console works with rolled cable
    and PC-aux works with rolled cable

    aux and con must have the same pinout
    Therefore a rolled cable will be needed
    with aux-con.

    The console port may not do handshaking.
    BTW an ethernet crossover is NOT useful here.
    , May 20, 2006
  6. msimonovich

    Joined:
    Oct 17, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    problems with reverse telnet

    I followed the above procedure. I used a home made rollover cable for the 2800 aux to 1600 con connection. When I issue the 'telnet 10.0.0.1 2001' command on my 2800 series router I get the response '% Connection refused by remote host'. The same thing happens if I try 4001 or 6001 for the port number.

    If I issue the command from the 2800 series router and really quickly, unplug my console cable from the 2800 and plug it into the 1600, it looks like the 2800 was spewing the slightly garbled output from a show run into the console port of the 1600. Evidently, the 2800 is not just trying to establish a normal telnet session out the aux port.

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    msimonovich, Oct 17, 2008