    this why I bought a router... to conseal those addresses? Is it commonplace
    to be asked fo rthis in public or should I be suspicious and not provide
    them?

    jaygreg, Aug 6, 2006

  2. jaygreg wrote:
    > I'm having trouble hooking up an XP machine to a LAN I established 2 years
    > ago. I sought help on at microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web forum. A
    > gentleman introducing himself as a MSVP is asking for my IP addresses. Isn't
    > this why I bought a router... to conseal those addresses? Is it commonplace
    > to be asked fo rthis in public or should I be suspicious and not provide
    > them?

    Hello? I can easily tell you that your private IP addresses originate
    from a private address space (as defined by IANA), and if you're in
    192.168.0.0/16's subnet 192.168.0.0/24, then it's pretty likely that I
    have the very same addresses as your have.

    So why do you care? He wanted a small overview over your internal
    network structure to help diagnosting the problem. There's no chance
    that he could use these information against you.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 6, 2006

  3. jaygreg

    jaygreg Guest

    Then it's OK to give hom the address, subset, and default gateway; all three
    addresses?

    jaygreg, Aug 6, 2006
  4. jaygreg

    Vanguard Guest

    "jaygreg" <> wrote in message
    > I'm having trouble hooking up an XP machine to a LAN I established 2
    > years
    > ago. I sought help on at microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web
    > forum. A
    > gentleman introducing himself as a MSVP is asking for my IP
    > addresses. Isn't
    > this why I bought a router... to conseal those addresses? Is it
    > commonplace
    > to be asked fo rthis in public or should I be suspicious and not
    > provide
    > them?

    If you are using a router, you are getting IP addresses like
    192.168.x.x. Hardly private since everyone that uses a routers gets
    that intranetwork addressing. Anywhere you connect to (via your
    router) will know its IP address, too. Presumably you already have a
    router with a built-in firewall that will reject unsolicited inbound
    connect requests.

    Unless you have some weird setup with multiple bridges, gateways, or
    internal routers where you have different segments setup and are
    using, say, a gateway as a protocol converter, I don't know why it
    matters what IP addresses you are using. You are using the same range
    of IP addresses that everyone else uses when implementing a router, so
    there isn't anything secret about it. The IP address in your post
    (71.66.124.170) from the WAN-side of your router tells us more
    (RoadRunner around Herndon, VA) than whatever 192.168.x.x addresses
    you are getting assigned to your intranetwork hosts. If you want to,
    you could just make up any IP addresses you want but keep the scheme
    consistent and similar to what you are actually using.

    Without a reference to whatever post you mentioned, no one knows why
    the MVP was asking or what is your problem.

    Vanguard, Aug 6, 2006
  5. jaygreg wrote:
    > Then it's OK to give hom the address, subset, and default gateway; all three
    > addresses?

    Yes. And if you have any worries, you can always change them and
    restructure your LAN anyway.

    Sebastian Gottschalk, Aug 6, 2006