Reuters - Blu-Ray tipped to win DVD format battle

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by FAQmeister, Oct 19, 2005.

  1. FAQmeister

    FAQmeister Guest

    Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:01 PM ET

    LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Forrester Research on Wednesday declared
    Blu-Ray, a new DVD format backed by a group led by Sony Corp <6758.T> as
    the winner in an increasingly heated battle over next-generation DVD
    technology.

    "Two groups are competing for control of high-definition DVD formats to
    be launched in the spring of 2006. After a long and tedious run up to
    launch, it is now clear to Forrester that the Sony-led Blu-ray format
    will win," said Forrester Research analyst Ted Schadler in a report.

    Earlier this month, Paramount Home Entertainment said it would release
    high-definition movies in the Blu-ray format.

    Paramount, a film studio owned by Viacom Inc. <VIAb.N>, had previously
    said it would release titles in a competing DVD format called HD DVD
    that is endorsed by a consortium of electronics makers including Toshiba
    Corp. <6502.T>.

    Paramount's move to also support Blu-ray was prompted by the failure of
    the two factions to join forces before players went on sale, industry
    sources have said.

    Schadler said only one format can ultimately win in the market.

    "Unless the HD-DVD group abandons the field, it will be another two
    years before consumers are confident enough of the winner to think about
    buying a new format DVD player. In the meantime, they will expand their
    video on-demand, downloadable video, and Internet viewing habits," he
    said.

    --
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:
    http://aww-faq.org/dvdfaq.html
    FAQmeister, Oct 19, 2005

  2. FAQmeister

    jb Guest

    Another black eye for Wintel.
    jb, Oct 19, 2005

  3. FAQmeister

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <dj69ep$ndq$>,
    "FAQmeister" <> wrote:

    > Wed Oct 19, 2005 1:01 PM ET
    >

    > LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Forrester Research on Wednesday declared
    > Blu-Ray, a new DVD format backed by a group led by Sony Corp <6758.T> as
    > the winner in an increasingly heated battle over next-generation DVD
    > technology.

    LOL! Now I've seen it all... Fucking declaring winners before either
    format has even been launched! We've hit a new low. This format war is
    getting lamer by the minute.
    Black Locust, Oct 20, 2005