    because it had spots on the blue sky, found out it was just dust on the
    sensor, so that one had to be repacked and what done with it, sold as new?
    I bet ebay is full of goofs or problem cameras.
    Charle, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Charle

    rafeb Guest

    Charle wrote:

    > I would bet that 70 to 80% of most Camera returns is from lack of
    > knowledge or improper use. Just like the one that returned his camera
    > because it had spots on the blue sky, found out it was just dust on the
    > sensor, so that one had to be repacked and what done with it, sold as new?
    > I bet ebay is full of goofs or problem cameras.

    It's not that uncommon at all. I made almost the
    same mistake with my 10D when I first noticed the
    dust spots. Odd thing was, the service guy at
    BH photo was as clueless as me, and happily issued
    an RMA number for me.

    rafe b.
    http://www.terrapinphoto.com
    rafeb, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Charle

    Ed Mullikin Guest

    After thinking about it, I may have returned my camera twice for repairs
    when it was probably me. Not everything is covered thoroughly in the
    instruction book. Lack of knowledge is probably a major factor.

    Ed Mullikin, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Charle

    Stewy Guest

    In article <>,
    "Charle" <> wrote:

    > I would bet that 70 to 80% of most Camera returns is from lack of
    > knowledge or improper use. Just like the one that returned his camera
    > because it had spots on the blue sky, found out it was just dust on the
    > sensor, so that one had to be repacked and what done with it, sold as new?
    > I bet ebay is full of goofs or problem cameras.

    I think one problem is camera makers are rushing cameras out without
    adequate testing for bugs and errors - who can blame them? Demand for
    digitals has gone up in the past two years and a camera manufactured in,
    say 2001, seems hopelessly outdated now.

    Recently I've had two cameras that needed repair - a Nikon Coolpix with
    a 'lens error' (apparently a common problem) and a Fuji S7000 with
    serious battery drain when using CF cards.

    Digitals are not known for being rugged, drop them and something is
    often damaged inside.

    However, that said, I won't be returning to film anytime soon except for
    my Stereo Realist - something a digital cannot replace.

    If dust on the sensor is a problem and you're not a pro user, I'd
    suggest buying a single lens for that Dslr and never remove it or buy a
    cheaper fixed lens jobbie.
    Stewy, Feb 23, 2005