Returned Emails

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by IAN GARDNER, May 28, 2004.

  1. IAN GARDNER

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    Dear all,
    I think most of us gets the following but just ignor it.

    When I have downloaded my emails, sometimes I get one`s that say `Returned`
    and they have an attachment. I NEVER open the attachment.
    Now these emails are meant to be from Internet providers `alone the way` who
    repost your mail to get it to the correct web address box. They think that a
    virus is with them and return it to you as an attachment saying what virus
    it has! Now I actually took note of the virus name and went to the MS
    Website and it checked my computer and found nothing!

    So the questions..........

    Do any of you guys get these emails?

    Have you ever had the virus named and gone to MS and checked it out and had
    the mentioned virus

    Any other coments!

    See you guys.
    STINGMAN

    --
    IAN. P. GARDNER
    ISLE OF WIGHT

    IAN GARDNER, May 28, 2004

  2. IAN GARDNER

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in

    > Do any of you guys get these emails?

    No. My email address is locked down and automated messages (spam, returned
    email, etc) do not get sent to me. In fact, when their server gives a
    to/from address, if it isn't on my approved list it sends /them/ a bounce
    message saying user unknown

    > Have you ever had the virus named and gone to MS and checked it out
    > and had the mentioned virus

    No. Why would you check a virus name with Microsoft? Why not use
    sarc.com?

    Jim Berwick, May 28, 2004

  3. IAN GARDNER

    colin Guest

    Jim Berwick <> wrote in message
    > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Do any of you guys get these emails?

    > No. My email address is locked down and automated messages (spam,

    returned
    > email, etc) do not get sent to me. In fact, when their server gives a
    > to/from address, if it isn't on my approved list it sends /them/ a bounce
    > message saying user unknown
    >
    > > Have you ever had the virus named and gone to MS and checked it out
    > > and had the mentioned virus

    > No. Why would you check a virus name with Microsoft? Why not use
    > sarc.com?

    Just use an @hotmail.com address for your news-server settings, and de-spam
    it before posting in newsgroups. and make sure that it`s not your isp
    supplied email; such as >

    colin, May 28, 2004
  4. IAN GARDNER

    IAN GARDNER Guest

    "Jim Berwick" <> wrote in message
    > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in
    >
    > > Do any of you guys get these emails?

    > No. My email address is locked down and automated messages (spam,

    returned
    > email, etc) do not get sent to me. In fact, when their server gives a
    > to/from address, if it isn't on my approved list it sends /them/ a bounce
    > message saying user unknown
    >
    > > Have you ever had the virus named and gone to MS and checked it out
    > > and had the mentioned virus

    > No. Why would you check a virus name with Microsoft? Why not use
    > sarc.com?

    1. I`ve never heard of sarc.com
    2. At th MS website it can scan and tell you if your computer has certain
    viuses.

    IAN GARDNER, May 28, 2004
  5. IAN GARDNER

    derek / nul Guest

    On Fri, 28 May 2004 08:13:02 +0100, "IAN GARDNER"
    <> wrote:

    >Dear all,
    > I think most of us gets the following but just ignor it.
    >
    > When I have downloaded my emails, sometimes I get one`s that say `Returned`
    >and they have an attachment. I NEVER open the attachment.

    good idea

    >Now these emails are meant to be from Internet providers

    but they never are

    > `alone the way` who
    >repost your mail to get it to the correct web address box. They think that a
    >virus is with them and return it to you as an attachment saying what virus
    >it has!

    An ISP will NEVER return the virus, its always a trojan.

    > Now I actually took note of the virus name and went to the MS
    >Website and it checked my computer and found nothing!
    >
    >So the questions..........
    >
    >Do any of you guys get these emails?

    Most people get them

    derek / nul, May 29, 2004
  6. IAN GARDNER

    Jim Berwick Guest

    derek / nul <> wrote in

    > An ISP will NEVER return the virus, its always a trojan.

    Entirely true. We here don't return the virus, but our servers do send you
    a message saying "Someone from <wherever> just tried to send you a virus"
    and include the headers of it. But never the actual virus, that'd be
    stupid.

    Jim Berwick, May 29, 2004
  7. IAN GARDNER

    Jim Berwick Guest

    "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in news:c9cbk1$leo$1
    @news8.svr.pol.co.uk:

    > 1. I`ve never heard of sarc.com

    It is the Symantec Antivirus Research Center.

    > 2. At th MS website it can scan and tell you if your computer has certain
    > viuses.

    My teacher friend can tell me if I have certain car problems. Still, when
    you have trouble with a car you go to a mechanic. If you are concerned
    with a virus, you should go to an AV company. You can even get a free
    online scan at housecall.trendmicro.com, which is only a million times
    better than going to microsoft for the help.

    Jim Berwick, May 30, 2004
  8. IAN GARDNER

    Thor Guest

    > "IAN GARDNER" <> wrote in news:c9cbk1$leo$1
    > @news8.svr.pol.co.uk:
    >
    > > 1. I`ve never heard of sarc.com

    > It is the Symantec Antivirus Research Center.
    >
    > > 2. At th MS website it can scan and tell you if your computer has

    certain
    > > viuses.

    > My teacher friend can tell me if I have certain car problems. Still, when
    > you have trouble with a car you go to a mechanic. If you are concerned
    > with a virus, you should go to an AV company. You can even get a free
    > online scan at housecall.trendmicro.com, which is only a million times
    > better than going to microsoft for the help.

    MS has targeted scanning tools for Mydoom, Sasser, and Mblaster. Not exactly
    a broad range of scanning tools. However, if you really suspect you may have
    one of those, then theres certainly nothing wrong with MS's tools versus
    targeted tools from Symantec, Mcafee, etc. There's no reason to believe that
    those targeted AV tools are inferior to any that are offered by Symantec, or
    other AV sites. Indeed, the ones MS offers are likely written by one of
    those AV companies anyway, like how MS distributes Etrust EZ antivirus on
    their free update CD. MS has gotten into a lot of product areas that weren't
    exactly their area of expertise, like pointing devices, joysticks,
    keyboards, etc. And they have been some of the better products in those
    categories right from the start. If MS starts offering a full-blown online
    virus scan, then there's no reason to think they won't be just as good, or
    just as thorough as any other major AV company's offering, just because MS
    hadn't offered an AV program in the recent past. It would probably be one of
    those 3rd party company's scanners in disguise anyway. And, given the crap
    that Norton/Symantec and Mcafee have put out at various times, even the AV
    companies can **** up an AV program pretty effectively.

    Thor, May 30, 2004