    Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be renewed.
    When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable after the 48
    hour period.

    TCS, May 14, 2004

  2. That's it TCS I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    Now someone hit my music....
    > Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
    >
    > Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and
    > then goes to the landfill.
    >
    > Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be
    > renewed. When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable
    > after the 48 hour period.

    Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
    EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
    its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.

    --
    Demolition Man

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, May 14, 2004

  3. TCS

    luminos Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > That's it TCS I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    > Now someone hit my music....
    > > Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
    > >
    > > Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and
    > > then goes to the landfill.
    > >
    > > Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be
    > > renewed. When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable
    > > after the 48 hour period.

    > Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
    > EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
    > its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.
    >
    > --
    > Demolition Man

    Disney is an abomination of a company. They want to charge for the air you
    breathe, as it is Disney Air. It took them years to abandon the graduated
    price per ride at their theme parks, where E tickets were highly desirable.
    Then, other parks went to the one-price scheme (which is very
    American...many countries pay by distance and time for phone calls). With
    great reluctance, Disney went to the one-price idea. The same corporate
    mentality pervades the "Disney DVD" culture. They think the Disney name on
    something makes it different than all others....and we should be willing to
    pay by view for everything attached to their logo.

    The entire concept mentioned above is doomed for failure.

    luminos, May 14, 2004
  4. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 15:01:39 -0500, Brian The Demolition Man Little <> wrote:
    >That's it TCS I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    >Now someone hit my music....
    >> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.
    >>
    >> Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and
    >> then goes to the landfill.
    >>
    >> Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be
    >> renewed. When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable
    >> after the 48 hour period.

    >Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
    >EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
    >its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.

    I figured it would see the same fate of DIVX.

    TCS, May 14, 2004
  5. TCS

    Impmon Guest

    On Fri, 14 May 2004 13:12:12 -0500, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >Unlike DIVX, it doesn't rely on a central server nor can they be renewed.
    >When opened and exposed to air, the discs become unwatchable after the 48
    >hour period.

    Unlike DIVX, it can be ripped and burned to DVD-R for a more permanet
    copy. Still... my local Ma-and-Pa rental shop are cheap on DVD rental
    compared to those EZ-D.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, May 14, 2004
  6. TCS

    Stan Brown Guest

    Stan Brown, May 15, 2004
  7. TCS

    unclejr Guest

    TCS <> wrote...
    > Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

    Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD NEWS.

    -Junior

    unclejr, May 15, 2004
  8. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On 14 May 2004 18:52:59 -0700, unclejr <> wrote:
    >TCS <> wrote...
    >> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

    >Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD NEWS.

    I don't live at 7-11.

    TCS, May 15, 2004
  9. (unclejr) wrote in

    > TCS <> wrote...
    >> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

    > Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD
    > NEWS.

    We're at "now" now. :)

    --

    Aaron J. Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com

    Aaron J. Bossig, May 15, 2004
  10. TCS

    Me Again Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Like DIVX, it lets the user watch the movie over a 48 hour period and then
    >goes to the landfill.

    Wow, now that sounds eco-friendly. Thank you 7-11.

    Me Again, May 16, 2004
  11. TCS

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > On 14 May 2004 18:52:59 -0700, unclejr <> wrote:
    > >TCS <> wrote...
    > >> Saw on the news that 7-11 is coming out with a disposable DVD.

    > >Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD

    NEWS.

    > I don't live at 7-11.

    Do you read a newspaper? Or even a newsgroup?

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 16, 2004
  12. TCS

    TCS Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:20:46 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    >"TCS" <> wrote in message
    >> On 14 May 2004 18:52:59 -0700, unclejr <> wrote:
    >> >TCS <> wrote...

    >> >Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD

    >NEWS.
    >>
    >> I don't live at 7-11.

    >Do you read a newspaper? Or even a newsgroup?

    It was never reported in any local newspapers. I first heard it on the
    evening news last weekend. Why does that bother you so?

    I did a google-groups search of alt.video.dvd for "EZD". Nothing.
    For "EX-D" there were two articles; One 9/11/2003, the other 5/4/2004.
    For "disposable DVD", there were 5 posts.

    Out of approximately 830,000.

    Well, maybe I don't read every single fucking post in alt.video.dvd every single
    day.

    TCS, May 16, 2004
  13. TCS

    Mike Kohary Guest

    "TCS" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 16 May 2004 08:20:46 -0700, Mike Kohary <> wrote:
    > >"TCS" <> wrote in message

    > >NEWS.
    > >>
    > >> I don't live at 7-11.

    > >Do you read a newspaper? Or even a newsgroup?

    > It was never reported in any local newspapers. I first heard it on the
    > evening news last weekend. Why does that bother you so?

    It doesn't.

    Mike

    Mike Kohary, May 16, 2004
  14. TCS

    Richard C. Guest

    OLD, OLD news!

    Already failed!

    =======================
    :

    Richard C., May 17, 2004
  15. TCS

    Impmon Guest

    On Sun, 16 May 2004 11:51:28 -0500, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >I did a google-groups search of alt.video.dvd for "EZD". Nothing.
    >For "EX-D" there were two articles; One 9/11/2003, the other 5/4/2004.
    >For "disposable DVD", there were 5 posts.
    >
    >Out of approximately 830,000.
    >
    >Well, maybe I don't read every single fucking post in alt.video.dvd every single
    >day.

    Try searching for "ez d" or "ez dvd" as "ezd" is not how it's
    officially spelled.
    --
    To reply, replace digi.mon with tds.net

    Impmon, May 17, 2004
  16. >Actually this has been known about for a bit of time. Its called
    >EZ-DVD, and its the brain child of Disney. So far in test markets
    >its been a complete failure, so we got nothing to worry about.

    I can see how EZ-D is failing.

    It sounds like a good idea in theory.
    However, in execution, it's not going to work unless you get support from at
    least the majority of the film industry and you release many titles other than
    those that are recent "blockbuster" releases.

    So far, the selection is limited with recent titles mostly from Buena Vista's
    own catalogue. Hardly anything from Paramount, Warner Bros., Universal, Fox,
    Sony, MGM/UA, you name it and hardly anything vintage or obscure.

    There's simply not enough titles available to sustain even a low-brow clientele
    to keep EZ-D from joining the ranks of Divx.

    As you may know, Divx died not only because of some nasty consumer backlash,
    but also because some big players in the entertainment industry, namely Viacom,
    AOL Time Warner, and Sony refused to support the format. In the case of Warner
    and Sony, it's understandable considering they were two of the four members
    primarily responsible for the development of DVD.

    EZ-D would probably have gained good consumer support had it sustained an
    impossibly large number of titles in its catalogue. The reality is that EZ-D's
    limited selection in the face of rental stores having much larger libraries of
    titles will be the death of it.

    Even Blockbuster stores stock some obscure but interesting titles, even if they
    may only be available on VHS. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 19, 2004
  17. >Have you been living in a cave over the past year? This is VERY OLD NEWS.

    Not only that, the news is not accurate.

    Even though 7-Eleven distributes EZ-D product, it's a Buena Vista property. -
    Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 19, 2004
  18. >We're at "now" now. :)

    "Instant cassettes! They're out in stores before the movie is finished!"

    "Nah!!" - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, May 19, 2004