Retrospect Backup Software/Application License Code?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by John, Dec 25, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I thought I was a happy camper when I opened my Christmas presents and found
    among them a new Maxtor 120GB One Touch External Hard Drive with Restrospect
    backup software. But my glee soon turned to gloom when I tried to use my new
    One Touch only to have Retrospect prompt me for an Application License Code.
    No where in the documentation that came with the new drive could I find the
    application license code. Nor could I find it on the software CD, the
    software CD paper jacket, the Maxtor box, etc., etc.

    Maybe I've overdosed on egg nog and my mind is in fog, but I don't see an
    Application License Code anywhere.

    Has anyone who has bought this popular and well-regarded Maxtor One Touch
    encountered this problem?

    Anyone know where I can find the Application License Code?

    Thanks so much.

    John
    John, Dec 25, 2004

  2. John

    SA Guest

    Did you call the company?

    SA, Dec 25, 2004

  3. John

    why? Guest

    On Sat, 25 Dec 2004 15:34:30 -0500, John wrote:

    >I thought I was a happy camper when I opened my Christmas presents and found
    >among them a new Maxtor 120GB One Touch External Hard Drive with Restrospect
    >backup software. But my glee soon turned to gloom when I tried to use my new
    >One Touch only to have Retrospect prompt me for an Application License Code.
    >No where in the documentation that came with the new drive could I find the
    >application license code. Nor could I find it on the software CD, the
    >software CD paper jacket, the Maxtor box, etc., etc.
    >
    >Maybe I've overdosed on egg nog and my mind is in fog, but I don't see an
    >Application License Code anywhere.

    Maybe try Google,

    Web Results 1 - 10 of about 8,540 English pages for
    Maxtor One Touch application license code
    (0.47 seconds)

    Dantz: Updates
    .... Maxtor® OneTouch™ users click here. ... NOTE: Use of Retrospect
    Client software requires a valid Retrospect application license code
    that supports the clients ...
    www.dantz.com/en/support/updates.dtml - 61k - Cached - Similar pages

    >Has anyone who has bought this popular and well-regarded Maxtor One Touch
    >encountered this problem?
    >
    >Anyone know where I can find the Application License Code?

    Still using links on the Dantz site,
    http://www.dantz.com/en/support/register_software.dtml

    If you have not registered your Dantz software and you know your
    License Code or registration number you may do one of the following:

    • Fill out an online form.
    • In some of Dantz's new software programs, you have the option to
    register by modem during installation.
    • Call 800.225.4880 with your License Code or registration number.
    • Fax 925.948.9099 with your name, address, telephone number and your
    License Code or registration number.

    If you cannot find your registration number send a photocopy of the
    front and back of your disk, along with a photocopy of your original
    receipt. Please include a letter requesting to be registered. Send it
    to:

    Dantz Development Corporation
    Customer Service/Product Registration
    3003 Oak Road, 3rd Floor
    Walnut Creek, CA 94597

    Where do I find my License Code or Registration Number?
    A License Code is a sixteen-digit sequence included with all Retrospect
    Products, versions 4.2 and later. License codes are used to install and
    register Retrospect products. They can be found in the License Manager,
    in the Retrospect Window menu.

    If you have not yet launched the software, your License Code can be
    found on the inside flap of the CD folder. If you have an older version,
    you can find a registration number on the registration card that came
    with your product. You can also find a registration number on the bottom
    of the product box or on the inside cover, directly underneath the CD in
    the jacket. The registration number is ten digits long and is preceded
    by a U, D, F or J.

    Me
    why?, Dec 25, 2004
  4. On 25 Dec 2004, John scribbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

    > I thought I was a happy camper when I opened my Christmas presents
    > and found among them a new Maxtor 120GB One Touch External Hard
    > Drive with Restrospect backup software. But my glee soon turned to
    > gloom when I tried to use my new One Touch only to have Retrospect
    > prompt me for an Application License Code. No where in the
    > documentation that came with the new drive could I find the
    > application license code. Nor could I find it on the software CD,
    > the software CD paper jacket, the Maxtor box, etc., etc.
    >
    > Maybe I've overdosed on egg nog and my mind is in fog, but I don't
    > see an Application License Code anywhere.
    >
    > Has anyone who has bought this popular and well-regarded Maxtor
    > One Touch encountered this problem?
    >
    > Anyone know where I can find the Application License Code?
    >
    > Thanks so much.
    >
    > John

    http://kb.dantz.com/al/12/1/article.asp?aid=1155&c=12&cp=2&cpc=5GSK8V33
    1KGNkyd4x263e7QPl325RA1mX

    --
    The Old Sourdough
    BEER!!11!! The Staff of Life
    The Old Sourdough, Dec 25, 2004
  5. John

    Noel Paton Guest

    http://kb.dantz.com/display/2/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=1037&r=0.6430323
    According to that, the code is supposed to install automatically!
    I suggest that you contact Dantz if it doesn't

    --
    Noel Paton (MS-MVP 2002-2005, Windows)

    Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
    http://www.btinternet.com/~winnoel/winhelp.htm

    Noel Paton, Dec 25, 2004
  6. John

    John Guest

    My thanks to those of you who were nice to respond.
    I should have mentioned that I did try Google and found nothing to
    help my immediate problem. Also I should have mentioned that I am
    unable to seek help from Maxtor or Dantz because their support is
    unavailable on weekends.

    So, in the absence of help from someone who has experienced the same
    problem and resolved it I will have to wait until Monday to try out
    the One Touch. That is, if I don't return it and get an external hard
    drive that doesn't present me with frustrating problems like this.

    Thanks again.

    John, Dec 25, 2004