    (2) Can anyone suggest a board that is rock solid (like Asus used to be) for
    this application.

    Thanks
    HLS, Dec 28, 2008

  2. HLS

    sandy58 Guest

    On Dec 28, 1:48 am, "HLS" <> wrote:
    > I have a much older clone pc which I built some years ago. It has finally
    > started
    > having some "black screen death" issues that I have not been able to solve.
    > Doesnt seem to be power supply, overheating CPU, RAM ( probably, I guess)..
    >
    > I have a dammittohell Vista machine, but want this older machine because it
    > will
    > run W2K or XP.  This computer need not have a lot of power..it will be used
    > with my legacy scanner, digital camera, printer, etc.
    >
    > I am willing to reboard, but am a bit confused by some issues:
    > (1) How can I pick a board that I KNOW for sure will run XP or 2000?
    > (2) Can anyone suggest a board that is rock solid (like Asus used to be) for
    > this application.
    >
    > Thanks

    ASK for one.....when you are buying. Asrock is ok. MSI too. Loadsa
    them thar things around. :) Asus also.
    sandy58, Dec 28, 2008

  3. HLS

    HLS Guest

    "sandy58" <> wrote in message

    ASK for one.....when you are buying. Asrock is ok. MSI too. Loadsa
    them thar things around. :) Asus also.

    I have long been prone to buy ASUS after having board defect with some other
    brands.
    I suppose the lead has been narrowed.

    In reading some of the Newegg reviews, I was a bit surprised to hear a few
    complain
    that they had had problems running XP or other on their newly boarded
    projects. Vista
    seems to have corrupted common sense.
    HLS, Dec 28, 2008