    however I don't how to retrieve that info using a Hdd reader. It just
    says inaccessible
    , Apr 28, 2009

  2. Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:24:25 -0300, wrote:

    >Can anyone help ? The profile name is there and I know the password,
    >however I don't how to retrieve that info using a Hdd reader. It just
    >says inaccessible

    So I'm guessing based on what little information you provided, you
    have a hard drive from a laptop that is 'toasted'. You're then putting
    it in a 'hdd reader' (whatever that is).

    And you're getting a message that says 'inaccessible'.

    Is that about it?

    Some details would help - what OS the laptop was, what OS the computer
    you now have is, what kind of "hdd reader" you are using, what EXACTLY
    the error says, etc.
    Evan Platt, Apr 28, 2009

  3. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 14:29:25 -0700, Evan Platt
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 18:24:25 -0300, wrote:
    >
    >>Can anyone help ? The profile name is there and I know the password,
    >>however I don't how to retrieve that info using a Hdd reader. It just
    >>says inaccessible

    >So I'm guessing based on what little information you provided, you
    >have a hard drive from a laptop that is 'toasted'. You're then putting
    >it in a 'hdd reader' (whatever that is).

    Well hello Evan, and yes I guess part of my question was how much
    information I needed to give. To be quite honest I really don't know
    what the technical name for what I have to read the hard-drive.. air
    link 101 ? They just passed it to me with the pricetag, opened, and
    ready to go.

    >And you're getting a message that says 'inaccessible'.
    >
    >Is that about it?

    It shows when I click on the profile that E:/ProfileName is not
    accessible

    >Some details would help - what OS the laptop was, what OS the computer
    >you now have is, what kind of "hdd reader" you are using, what EXACTLY
    >the error says, etc.

    Home xp and trying to open under pro-xp

    That was under 10 minutes and thank you for the help to date.
    , Apr 29, 2009
  4. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:34:03 -0500, philo <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >> Can anyone help ? The profile name is there and I know the password,
    >> however I don't how to retrieve that info using a Hdd reader. It just
    >> says inaccessible

    >you need to take ownership
    >
    >http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    I tried it, but it didn't work yet.. however thank you very much
    , Apr 29, 2009
  5. Guest

    Re:Re: Retrival of Password Protected profile on Hdd of toasted laptop

    On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 19:24:55 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message

    >>>you need to take ownership
    >>>
    >>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308421

    >> I tried it, but it didn't work yet.. however thank you very much

    >I saw you are using XP Home
    >
    >you will need to take ownership by booting to safe mode (IIRC)

    I am using xpPro now and my old hdd is an xpHome. It is so
    frustrating that there must be something minisule I am doing wrong.
    Please redeem my faith in 24help so I didn't have to pay my retailer
    for help :-0
    , May 8, 2009