Retrieving raw password from Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by keon.starfire@gmail.com, Nov 16, 2005.

  1. Guest

    I am seeking to retrieve the password for an e-mail account currently
    stored in Thunderbird. I'm using version 1.5 RC1, but I've been
    unsuccessful in every earlier version I've used as well (1.0.6, 1.0.7).
    OS is Win XP Home, SP2.

    There are, as far as I can tell, no dialogs within Thunderbird which
    contain asterisks. I do use Passware to decode password boxes within
    other programs, but not having such a dialog in Thunderbird makes it
    not possible by this method.

    The closest I can get to revealing the password is by viewing
    signons.txt in the Application Data folder, but that is somehow
    encrypted... the string there is much longer than the actual password
    for the e-mail account in question (but does convert directly, as
    copying this file to another computer with Thunderbird will enable
    access to the account).

    Is there any converter for the data in signons.txt, or any other way to
    retrieve raw password data for my e-mail account saved in Thunderbird?
    Thanks in advance.

    -KS
    , Nov 16, 2005

  2. wrote:
    > I am seeking to retrieve the password for an e-mail account currently
    > stored in Thunderbird. I'm using version 1.5 RC1, but I've been
    > unsuccessful in every earlier version I've used as well (1.0.6, 1.0.7).
    > OS is Win XP Home, SP2.
    >
    > There are, as far as I can tell, no dialogs within Thunderbird which
    > contain asterisks. I do use Passware to decode password boxes within
    > other programs, but not having such a dialog in Thunderbird makes it
    > not possible by this method.
    >
    > The closest I can get to revealing the password is by viewing
    > signons.txt in the Application Data folder, but that is somehow
    > encrypted... the string there is much longer than the actual password
    > for the e-mail account in question (but does convert directly, as
    > copying this file to another computer with Thunderbird will enable
    > access to the account).
    >
    > Is there any converter for the data in signons.txt, or any other way to
    > retrieve raw password data for my e-mail account saved in Thunderbird?
    > Thanks in advance.

    Have you tried Tools > Options > Advanced > Security > Saved passwords?
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 16, 2005

  3. Guest

    Rôgêr wrote:
    > Have you tried Tools > Options > Advanced > Security > Saved passwords?

    There is no "Security" section/tab once I click on Advanced.

    -KS
    , Nov 17, 2005
  4. wrote:
    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >
    >>Have you tried Tools > Options > Advanced > Security > Saved passwords?

    > There is no "Security" section/tab once I click on Advanced.

    How about when you click on Advanced, is there a listing for Saved
    passwords? Just under that is "Manage stored mail server passwords" and
    to the right of that is a "View Saved Passwords" button and then you'll
    see "Show passwords". I may have gotten carried away with the "Security"
    mention.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Nov 17, 2005